solstice zok.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
4/28/16 1:55 a.m.

Cramit.

NickD
NickD Dork
4/28/16 5:20 a.m.

What do Z3 M Roadsters go for nowadays? We had one of those running B/Street with us and it kicked some serious tail. A bit of a handful to drive according to the owner, .but it won the class and finished in 4th overall for the chapter/

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/28/16 7:09 a.m.

You never defined cheap.

I told you BRZ in STX, well driven, you have a trophy at Nationals.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
4/28/16 7:31 a.m.

C4?

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
4/28/16 7:43 a.m.

How about a nice Foxbody Mustang? Cheap, can be made to go fast and did I mention cheap. Wait, I just read 'competitive', nevermind. How about just F-U-N. I'm biased here's a video of my car from Sunday.

Cobweb Solo

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/28/16 9:28 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: You never defined cheap. I told you BRZ in STX, well driven, you have a trophy at Nationals.

I dunno if I want another Subaru. I just don't like the motors

Cheap, what is cheap? Hmmmm... I guess it varies. If I like the car I might be willing to spend more, if not then it would have to be a really good bargain, but probably no more than $20k if I really like the car.

Harvey
4/28/16 9:29 a.m.
rustysteel wrote: How about a nice Foxbody Mustang? Cheap, can be made to go fast and did I mention cheap. Wait, I just read 'competitive', nevermind. How about just F-U-N. I'm biased here's a video of my car from Sunday. Cobweb Solo

I know nothing about CAM classes, but somewhere in there these might be competitive I'd imagine.

DanyloS
DanyloS Reader
4/28/16 10:08 a.m.

Would a swapped 924/944 or 240sx do the trick? Maybe a FB/FC RX-7? C4 Corvette?

DanyloS
DanyloS Reader
4/28/16 10:10 a.m.

Early Boxster?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/28/16 10:25 a.m.
Harvey wrote:
z31maniac wrote: You never defined cheap. I told you BRZ in STX, well driven, you have a trophy at Nationals.
I dunno if I want another Subaru. I just don't like the motors Cheap, what is cheap? Hmmmm... I guess it varies. If I like the car I might be willing to spend more, if not then it would have to be a really good bargain, but probably no more than $20k if I really like the car.

Have you driven one with a header and tune? Worth 20-25hp on the FA20. And gets rid of the tq dip.

Cheap consumables, nice cockpit, etc.

You're $20k could buy a used one and prep it to be competitive nationally in STX. If you don't want a Miata, I'm not really sure what other modern car you could do that with.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
4/28/16 10:58 a.m.

20K? C5 Non-Z06 for BS. You can prep it for STU later if you want to do mods.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
4/28/16 11:07 a.m.

20k will buy you a nationally competitive B-Street ap2 s2000, A-street C5 z06, B-Street C5 non-z06, or 3 or 4 E-Street miatas/mr-s's.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/28/16 11:32 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: 20k will buy you a nationally competitive B-Street ap2 s2000, A-street C5 z06, B-Street C5 non-z06, or 3 or 4 E-Street miatas/mr-s's.

Forgot about S2000s, since clean stock AP2s tend to command that much or more.

I don't think Vette's fall under "cheap" to run, and he said no Miatas.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/28/16 11:45 a.m.

I happen to have an e46 M3 for sale that was built to autocross. Well under your $20k cap and needs nothing. You could stiffen up the adjustable coilovers and auto-x it this weekend. Make me an offer!

Buy my M3

Aspen
Aspen Reader
4/28/16 1:32 p.m.
NickD wrote: What do Z3 M Roadsters go for nowadays? We had one of those running B/Street with us and it kicked some serious tail. A bit of a handful to drive according to the owner, .but it won the class and finished in 4th overall for the chapter/

Somewhere in the $20ks range depending on condition etc. Less than an S2K it seems. There are two flavours of course, the 240hp and 333hp. I recently got a jones for the 333hp version, of course. The low power ones can likely be had under $20k. A 3.0l later Z3 might be almost as good as the earlier M car and for even less $$. My local club is becoming overrun with S2Ks with 3. A Z3 M would fit in nicely...

dorri732
dorri732 Reader
4/28/16 9:32 p.m.
Aspen wrote: Somewhere in the $20ks range depending on condition etc. Less than an S2K it seems.

You can get S2000s for significantly less than that if you aren't dead set on low mileage. I just bought my 2003 S2000 with 137,000 miles on it last month for $5000. It needs a top and has the cheapest tires known to man on it, but it's survived two autocrosses and one track night so far.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/28/16 10:23 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: I happen to have an e46 M3 for sale that was built to autocross. Well under your $20k cap and needs nothing. You could stiffen up the adjustable coilovers and auto-x it this weekend. Make me an offer! Buy my M3

Why, oh why did you buy a SMG car?

My E30 prepped for STX was quite possibly the worst autocross car ever. Not competitive and not fun at all. That car may have been good for something, but autocross was not it. This was a problem since autocross was my primary purpose for buying the car (research fail on my part). Unfortunately, the E30 needs a steering rack swap and that bumps it to Street Modified where it gets murdered by... well... everything.

The E36 is marginally better, but not much. An M3 happened to win SM a few years ago at Nationals, but it seems that was mainly because the driver saw something in the course few others did. Otherwise, it's rare for a RWD car to beat the boost-buggies.

There was a guy in my region who was running a STR prepped Z3 2.8 a few years ago that could give the S2K a run. I think there is something about the gearing that actually made the 2.8 better for STR than the M, but this was before the M was allowed in STR.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/29/16 7:30 a.m.
dorri732 wrote:
Aspen wrote: Somewhere in the $20ks range depending on condition etc. Less than an S2K it seems.
You can get S2000s for significantly less than that if you aren't dead set on low mileage. I just bought my 2003 S2000 with 137,000 miles on it last month for $5000. It needs a top and has the cheapest tires known to man on it, but it's survived two autocrosses and one track night so far.

Tires and a top easily add $4k to the price, aside from the fact it's an AP1. They aren't desirable, hence the price.

Show me a clean AP2 for $5000 and I'll buy it. I will buy a plane ticket today and drive it home this weekend.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
4/29/16 7:55 a.m.
MacDubois wrote: or my personal favorite crazy-idea build for FSP, the Chevy S-10 (shortbox, reg cab, 4.3 and 335s all around)

S10 2 door Blazer 2wd 4.3L TIFTFY

Harvey
4/29/16 10:13 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: I happen to have an e46 M3 for sale that was built to autocross. Well under your $20k cap and needs nothing. You could stiffen up the adjustable coilovers and auto-x it this weekend. Make me an offer! Buy my M3

A lot of love for these, but I'm just not excited about SMG. I know it's not a huge deal vs the manual, but if I am gonna shell out I know I won't be happy with the SMG.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
4/29/16 10:13 a.m.

What year MR2 is desirable?

Harvey
4/29/16 10:14 a.m.
moxnix wrote: 20K? C5 Non-Z06 for BS. You can prep it for STU later if you want to do mods.

Seeing an FRC nearby for $15k. Tempting.

Harvey
4/29/16 10:15 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: What year MR2 is desirable?

I think they are talking about the third gen.

Doesn't appeal to me because it's basically a Miata with more power. Not really gonna buy another roadster. Don't fit that well into the S2000 either even though I'm co-driving one this year.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/29/16 10:18 a.m.
Harvey wrote:
bentwrench wrote: What year MR2 is desirable?
I think they are talking about the third gen. Doesn't appeal to me because it's basically a Miata with more power. Not really gonna buy another roadster. Don't fit that well into the S2000 either even though I'm co-driving one this year.

But it's a mid-engine Miata...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SkR5OBXvf3TErryS7Fd76RtDt4WVZozW8ZkXrtIqnxxHKvjHUjZhsBLIGezQNC3C