1 2
t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
6/10/14 5:03 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: A friend of mine just picked up a '98 540i 6 speed for $950! It was a total gamble, since it was at an auction as a donated vehicle, but after he bought it we jumped it and there's nothing really wrong with it. It was a one owner vehicle that belonged to a doctor in St. Louis.

That was a steal then. I knew this one had issues but not the extent of them. When I started it before buying it, it would just stall out, then I turned the A/C off and it would actually stay running, so I figured it was worth a shot.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/10/14 6:36 p.m.

In reply to 16vCorey: friend of Mine bought one of those and it ate more paychecks than two kids...

If I'm buying a BMW it'll be an inline six.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/10/14 7:28 p.m.

This thread has just come across my facebook through the GRM facebook page. Cool

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
6/10/14 8:09 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote: This thread has just come across my facebook through the GRM facebook page. Cool

Holee sheit. I'm I minor celebrity.. or at least my car is. Now I just need to say something witty to end up in the "Say what?" column in the rag.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
6/10/14 8:20 p.m.

oh yeah I almost forgot those CEL codes..here they are.

• P0102 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Low Input
  • P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1)
  • P0174 - System Too Lean (Bank 2)
  • P0313 - Misfire Detected with Low Fuel
  • P0455 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak)
  • P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
  • P1343 - Misfire Cylinder 1 With Fuel Cut-off
  • P1347 - Misfire Cylinder 3 With Fuel Cut-off

So the VSS is probably related ot the ABS pump issue. The EVAP might be as simple as a new gas cap. The Rest of the codes are more than likely due to vacuum leaks or an issue with the MAF.

At least that's how I read all that.

nhmercracer
nhmercracer New Reader
6/10/14 8:34 p.m.

Wow, I should start looking. Nice find!

m1sandman
m1sandman GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/10/14 9:07 p.m.

Is that the one that was in Fort Myers? If so, I saw it and immediately thought to myself -- go buy it, unplug the MAF and drive it home! Glad someone in the GRM fam snatched it up!

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
6/10/14 9:15 p.m.
m1sandman wrote: Is that the one that was in Fort Myers? If so, I saw it and immediately thought to myself -- go buy it, unplug the MAF and drive it home! Glad someone on the GRM fam snatched it up!

That indeed is the one. I was actually just doing a random search for a guy I work with for cars under $1000 and under saw it, thought it looked like a smokin' deal, but wasn't going to get it due to the wives feeling about another car in the yard. But I caved, bought it anyways then proceeded to park it right in plain view in front of the garage.

For those asking on teh book of faces, it has 159k miles on it at present.

ian @ Jewel Or Jalopy
ian @ Jewel Or Jalopy New Reader
6/10/14 11:18 p.m.

Nice score! I was at a dealer auction today and 2 older V8 e39s sold for more than that wholesale.

I think that intake rip will solve a bunch of your codes. The intake gaskets can also dry out, as can the throttle body gaskets. Someplace else to look if you still have codes.

We swapped our e34 525it to a 5 speed and while it wasn't fast, it was fun. The BMW six is a great engine and loves to rev.

Fix it and drive it, you'll get years out of it. Don't buy anything at the stealer and it won't even cost much.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
6/11/14 7:32 a.m.

PO ignored the CEL(s), and then lots of little things added up to more than they wanted to deal with, especailly if they took it to a dealership to be checked out. Hoses, tune up, MAF, fuel filter, ABS pump.... That's a $5-6k car ready to go or a $3k car in current condition here.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
6/11/14 7:48 a.m.

Wow, that's nice! Do want!

FIX IT!!!!!

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
6/11/14 9:00 a.m.
chrispy wrote: PO ignored the CEL(s), and then lots of little things added up to more than they wanted to deal with, especailly if they took it to a dealership to be checked out. Hoses, tune up, MAF, fuel filter, ABS pump.... That's a $5-6k car ready to go or a $3k car in current condition here.

Yeah I was thinking at least $2K here, when I saw the $1k price I thought the interior was going to be ruined, but surprisingly it's in good nick.

Right before I bought the car he apparently had $700 worth of work done at the shop after a belt tensioner esploded and sent the belt to whipping about the engine bay. $700 seems like a crazy amount for that kinda work, I think he just wanted to pay off the shop and be done with the car at that point.

Here's the old torn up belt.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/11/14 10:42 a.m.

That's not a BMW belt shredded by a failed tensioner. This is......

photo E46belt_zpse795fd69.jpg

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/11/14 3:40 p.m.

Do a build thread on fixing misfires and lean cylinders. I don't remember how to diagnose those problems.

psreynol
psreynol
6/11/14 4:04 p.m.

I think you gotta fix it! a few hours on the web and you should be able to put together a plan for testing the ignition issues. a quick check should determine if that abs issue is computer issue or the pump, in which case you should be able to fine one used. none of those issue look to be very labor intensive. if you were local I would know just the guy to talk to about it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/14 5:09 p.m.
chrispy wrote: PO ignored the CEL(s), and then lots of little things added up to more than they wanted to deal with, especailly if they took it to a dealership to be checked out. Hoses, tune up, MAF, fuel filter, ABS pump.... That's a $5-6k car ready to go or a $3k car in current condition here.

exactly.. figure that the most expensive rubber intake part is the MAF to intake boot.. and that only costs $35 new. and the tensioner clocks in $50ish.. I would say that the PO was too caught up in having the dealer do all the work.

alchemist
alchemist New Reader
6/11/14 7:56 p.m.

Make sure you doing a cooling system overhaul......I'd hate to see you get her running right only to lose the motor to the craptacular plastic parts. BTW I paid 6K a year ago for an 01 525i manual trans car (1 owner/100K miles). Put a little money in her and you have a pretty nice ride

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F4YypGYfxDqO70uaMfK8Q7utDso8dc0VT2uQsgADbqBPT75TuzWGmjATJLsmnZqT