1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/16 5:56 p.m.

So, we were working on the gauges and CAN bus integration, and figured it would be a lot easier if the engine was running. And thus a large noise came out of a small car, and it was good.

Some of the gauges are working now, and more are coming online all the time. Flyin' Miata is currently a very happy place. That's a great way to start the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/02cCXkFPmAc?rel=0

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
7/15/16 5:57 p.m.

Sounds good.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/15/16 6:00 p.m.

Dat idle....

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/15/16 6:00 p.m.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/15/16 6:01 p.m.

Keith Tanner
7/15/16 7:22 p.m.

The stop/start system is working, most of the gauges are working - it should be self-propelled next week. What a great way to kick off the weekend.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/15/16 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

How long did it take to get this far? I presume you guys had some fun with it before you ripped it apart?

Keith Tanner
7/15/16 7:36 p.m.

It's taken about 6 months, IIRC.

There's a big difference between building the first of a series of cars and banging together a one-off. We need to be able to duplicate this thing, and all of the complex equipment needed to remain. We've got 3D models of everything we've built or designed, and suppliers for all the components. We've had to do all sorts of creative things to fit this fat guy into this little coat, including reengineering pretty much the entire steering system. Now we're on things like figuring out why the lane departure warning light is on, is it related to the missing passenger seat and airbags? When we're done, it'll look like a bone-stock ND on the interior.

And yes, I've had a bit of fun with the car Three track days, a cross-country trip and a bunch of top-down days. We have two of them, this one was always designated as the V8 R&D car while the other is the chassis and 4-cylinder development mule.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
7/15/16 7:40 p.m.

With 525hp I may be able to overlook the looks.

However, if it works in the ND does it also work in the 124?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/16 7:47 p.m.

CAN integration??? You mean like making the GM computer talk to the Mazda network?

Color me very curious!

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
7/15/16 8:09 p.m.

So many fancy safety and economy gadgets on this thing. CANBus is really cool, it's just too bad there isn't more standardizing on what goes into packets across manufacturers.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
7/15/16 8:13 p.m.

Not a bad thing at all. I'm pretty interested in your modeling process. 3D scanner involved with locating everything or do you have someone doing it the hard way?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/16 8:17 p.m.

Can I have the old engine?

chiodos
chiodos Dork
7/15/16 9:36 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Im sure flyin miata is equally happy to have the "old" motor out of the car to do some more testing on, engine dyno stuff maybe?

Thats not saying i dont bet they arent super stoked to have a 500hp nd in the shop

Keith Tanner
7/15/16 10:55 p.m.
Knurled wrote: CAN integration??? You mean like making the GM computer talk to the Mazda network? Color me very curious!

Yes indeedy. The goal is to have every single thing working as if it were factory. The CAN system is key. There are a lot of guys who talk a big game about their capabilities, but most of them just spam the network with lots of messages and hope the "right" ones get through. Mostly it's promises and sadness. We have a box like this for one of our NC conversions, and it manages to work about 75% of the time.

We're working with a company called MRS Electronics who really knows their stuff. Colin Beck has spent the last week with us scoping out the communication of the Mazda CAN, and using one of their magic boxes to modify the signals that need to be modified, block the signals that need to be blocked and pass through the signals that need to stay unmolested. Mazda talks to GM, GM talks to Mazda, Mazda talks to Mazda. We're making really good progress, although it'll take a while before everything is sorted out. Having the stop/start system working is a huge step, though.

We can do other cool stuff as well, such as convert the digital readout for outside temperature to a precise engine temperature readout, or maybe oil pressure. Heck, we can make it switchable.

The four cylinder is now an R&D mill for our four cylinder development. It's really handy to have one car torn apart and another one driving. The 3D work is being done with a scanner, we spent a lot of time scanning individual parts such as the subframes and engine as well as big stuff like the engine bay. Combine that with high quality models of things like the LS3 or the T56 and we can do a lot of work digitally. You always have to do the real world check, but it makes repeatability much easier. Right now, for example, our clutch master cylinder is sitting in a cool 3d printed adapter so we can confirm dimensions and suitability, then we send it off for machining.

It's 21st century product development for a 21st century car. Which has been fascinating.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
7/15/16 11:15 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Should what you're learning from the ND CAN integration also apply back to the NC and RX8?

Keith Tanner
7/15/16 11:29 p.m.

Maybe? It's a far less sophisticated platform, more than 12 years old. We're hoping some of the protocol will be the same. It's the next one on the list, though. We need to be able to run the few CAN instruments in the cluster on that car.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto HalfDork
7/15/16 11:55 p.m.

This is awesome in all the right ways.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
7/16/16 8:58 a.m.

Over on the other page there is a "what car lottery edition" thread. I think Flyin Miata would certainly be in my top three places to dump lots of cash should I ever have lots of cash.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
7/16/16 10:13 a.m.

That think looks and sounds wicked. Keith, you are living the dream.

HunterJP
HunterJP GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/16/16 11:17 a.m.

Yaaaaasssss!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/16 11:49 a.m.

Very very cool!

Keith Tanner
7/16/16 12:48 p.m.
T.J. wrote: Keith, you are living the dream.

That part comes with the track testing

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/16/16 1:34 p.m.

Do you think Mazda will still honor the warranty after a LS swap?

Mind you, by the time I have the cash for the swap my ND is likely to be out of warranty anyway.

Keith Tanner
7/16/16 1:47 p.m.

If you take one in for warranty, please record the conversation

Actually, GM carries the engine warranty. Drive this thing up to any dealership and you'll clear out the mechanics bay. They love it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gtnHnpLpAViS6XIET7nQqCf4TSAaLfFW0G8L6Pnvc6sxPYjPp0OVavnNGCtU5aLw