Strike_Zero Dork
1/29/12 2:25 p.m.

In reply to nicksta43:

Here is one of many:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/pontiac-gto-6spd/44171/page1/

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
1/29/12 2:43 p.m.

Excellent. I really really want one of those, after driving them occasionally at the Caddy dealer (my summer job during college). I could never shift smoothly in them, but otherwise they had a ton of power, rode well, and sounded like sex. Very comfortable seats, too, with the alcantara.

todd900ss
todd900ss New Reader
1/29/12 3:16 p.m.

Nice score! Where in Georgia did you find it. Been looking for one on and off and not finding anything local. A friend just bought one last week and now yours, both in Georgia.

If you try the creative-steel diff bushing an block do a review for us please.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
1/29/12 3:47 p.m.

I found mine in South Atlanta. There are some listed for sale all across GA (some in SC as well).There were a few Redline/Infrared cars here in SC going for $15-17K, but I was looking for Raven specifically. There's a Raven in VA for $16.5 with ~80K and a list of warranty repairs done, but those guys never called me back LOL!!

I plan on doing the diff and trans mount as the engine mounts have been replaced by the dealer I got the car from. I will review once I get em done.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/29/12 5:15 p.m.

I see that the 2004-2005 cars came with the LS6 while the 2006-2007 cars came with the LS2. Is one much more attractive than the other?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
1/29/12 6:26 p.m.

According to which owner you talk too, this what you will get

04-05

• Z06 engine 400hp @ 6000/395tq @ 4800
  • Lumpy idle
  • More top end pull

06-07

• Broader tq curve (bigger cubes) 400hp @ 6000/395tq @ 4400
  • GenIII and GenIV differential
  • Better axles (I think)
  • Steering wheel radio controls

Tongue in cheek . . .

Best advice . . . buy the best example you can afford. I approached it with this in mind. However, I knew would have to do mounts from Creative Steel as they are known to work better than all other OEM and aftermarket solutions.

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
1/30/12 6:18 p.m.

I want

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/30/12 6:35 p.m.

Very cool.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
1/30/12 7:45 p.m.

Black suit, white shirt, red tie, that car. Straight pimpn'.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/30/12 8:13 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Black suit, white shirt, red tie, that car. Straight pimpn'.

That made me think of Rancid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jCA7F7aHxA

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
1/30/12 8:19 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Oddly enough, me too.

You should call this car the Timebomb.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
1/30/12 8:21 p.m.

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer Reader
1/31/12 8:23 a.m.

Nice car. My sister has one and she really likes it. My wife hates my sister. We won't be getting one.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
1/31/12 9:05 a.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: In reply to EvanB: Oddly enough, me too. You should call this car the Timebomb.

I think we just named your car.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/31/12 9:12 a.m.

My best friend has a silver 05 with a Magnaflow exhaust, very coold car. Enjoy it, they rock.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
1/31/12 11:50 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

I can dig it . . .

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
1/31/12 11:52 a.m.

Now that you got a awesome car, do you want to sell the E36 318?

xflowgolf
xflowgolf New Reader
1/31/12 12:37 p.m.

durrr... back to Craigslist for a new round of searching ;-p

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
1/31/12 1:06 p.m.

Nice ride! If I had found a decent used CTS-V, I probably would have bought one of those instead of my Mustang.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
1/31/12 1:52 p.m.

In reply to DukeOfUndersteer:

You are the 10th person that has asked me if I wanted to sell the 318. For the last few weeks, Mrs. Zero has been getting notes and request to sell the "LadyBug".

Since it's her DD and gets 25mpg combined, she said "Hell to da nizzzzah . . . "

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
1/31/12 2:04 p.m.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
6/28/12 9:50 a.m.

Since I haven't updated this in while . . . .

After putting only put 1200 miles on it, this happened

Yup . . . that's right the crappy radiator split horizontally across the top on way home from dropping off Mrs. Zero.

Got TimeBomb Triple A'd home and ordered up an ALRADCORadiator.

The radiator from Pete at Alradco was a true drop in affair. There is one mount on the A/C condenser that doesn't line up, I'll have to bust out the dremel and CAREFULLY slot it so I can secure it to the radiator.

ADVICE!!!

If you get one of these radiators, replace all belts and tensioners on the engine BEFORE you install the super duty radiator . . . or you WILL be draining coolant and removing it again . . .

I put another 1500 miles on TimeBomb (Alradco is awesome!!) and temps are 7-10* lower even without the underbelly pan (have to order that as well)

I ordered diff mount + diff bushing + shifter bushing from CS and motor + trans mounts from Rev-Shift.

If you do not get the bushing tool with diff mount from Creative-Steel, you must be a masochist!! It took a longer time dropping and reinstalling the Diff than pressing the bushing out and in (literally 6 minutes using hand tools). Here is what I pressed out:

I also found grease EVERYWHERE under car. It looks as though the dealer I bought this from only does 119 point inspections as the 120th point was checking and securing the driveshaft bolts . . . yup all of them were finger tight with very little grease left in the CV Joint. I took it apart and it looked ok, packed it with grease and reassembled it. There were no alignment marks on the driveshaft or pinion so I'll have to play roulette over the next few days to get it aligned correctly.

Finally is the trans mount . . .

I think they call that "perished". Hopefully I can get the Rev-Shift trans mount insert in there when it arrives.

So far after the diff mount and bushing . It literally cut the Drivetrain slop in half. I can't comment on the vibration since the driveshaft isn't properly aligned

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
6/28/12 11:49 a.m.

That's a lot of maintenance. Hopefully once you have these issues corrected it will prove to be a reliable car for you. That's the way it was for my Sentra.

I want one of these:

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
6/28/12 11:58 a.m.

Yea . . . it was a lot for the $16K car. . . but not as bad as some of the other stories about ragged out Vs I've heard about. With nearly 100K miles on original mounts and the crappy radiator, it's was to be expected.

• Radiator: $500
  • Belts: $40
  • Tensioners: $80
  • Front Shocks: $155
  • Engine Mounts: $150
  • Trans mount insert: $50
  • Diff Mount: $65
  • Diff Block: $30
  • Shifter bushings $25
  • Diff mount tool rental: $30

Most of that stuff (prices from a fuzzy memory) are classed as maintenance items.

Will
Will Dork
6/28/12 5:26 p.m.

Yeah, the radiator gave out on mine at something like 50,007 miles. Fortunately, my local dealer still honored the warranty.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rtpZbjU0tAcdHRs9l79EpjfKkC3Jc5hsTXGeLmGztWTlUpzbYpM4usF6EbmQ357N