1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/16 3:50 p.m.

You know, for scanning and science and stuff.

And then this happened.

I think the expression on the car's face pretty much sums it up.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
1/7/16 3:51 p.m.

science!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/7/16 3:56 p.m.

Did you just goose that poor Miata?

NickD
NickD HalfDork
1/7/16 3:59 p.m.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
1/7/16 4:06 p.m.

A big hunk of plastic. Yep, that looks like any other modern day automobile.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/7/16 4:08 p.m.

Soooo, how well does it fit?

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
1/7/16 4:10 p.m.

I feel like FM is forced to try and jam an LS into anything that stops moving inside the shop for longer than ten minutes.

Coffee breaks are tense to say the least.

Keith Tanner
1/7/16 4:13 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Soooo, how well does it fit?

Very. We'll have to do a bit of surgery to make it work, but no insurmountable obstacles presented themselves. With the engine where is it, we'll have no loss of ground clearance and the shifter where it belongs. Looks like the steering rack location can stay as well.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/16 4:17 p.m.

I know that restraint isn't usually a consideration when doing this kind of thing, because if you're doing to do the R&D and ask people to spend lots of dollars, you go all out.

However, I'd be very interested to see how the Chevy V6 would work. In the long run the swaps probably wouldn't be dissimilar in price, but it would be nice to have more options.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
1/7/16 4:17 p.m.

Best web comic ever!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/7/16 4:18 p.m.

Keith Tanner
1/7/16 4:37 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I know that restraint isn't usually a consideration when doing this kind of thing, because if you're doing to do the R&D and ask people to spend lots of dollars, you go all out. However, I'd be very interested to see how the Chevy V6 would work. In the long run the swaps probably wouldn't be dissimilar in price, but it would be nice to have more options.

The V6 conversation is always interesting. Is it the best of all worlds, or the worst? Are you spending the same amount of money and effort for 75% of the result, or are you somehow preserving some sort of character and knocking a few pounds off the end result? Height is definitely a concern when it comes to V6 swaps, but it looks as if this car might have a bit of extra vertical space over some of the previous generations.

As far as we're concerned, though, it's a no-go. We won't build a turn-key car with a junkyard engine. If Chevy ever introduces a crate V6 with an engine management package and a warranty - like our LS3 engines - then things will get interesting. But in the meantime, if we can make the V8 fit for the same effort and money, why not?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/7/16 4:41 p.m.

Does GM crate the new DI LT engines? Are they something you guys want to put in Mistas?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
1/7/16 4:48 p.m.

GM does crate the new LT1 and LT4. Here is the LT4: http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/lt4.html

Can't wait to see the first LS swapped ND Miata done, should be a fun ride.

Keith Tanner
1/7/16 4:50 p.m.

Yup, and that's one of the questions we'll have to answer. The well-known LS3 or the LT4? I'm not sure the LT1 brings anything to the table that the 525 hp LS3 doesn't.

There will be packaging questions for sure - this car has a bit more room where the high pressure fuel pump needs to go, so that's good. But the offset throttle body might be a hassle. There's also an $8,000 price difference between the LS3 and the LT4!

daeman
daeman HalfDork
1/7/16 5:18 p.m.

While your playing around for fun and research.... Mazda klze or klde with turbo or supercharger would be mighty fine. Keeps it in the family to. Just saying....

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
1/7/16 5:25 p.m.
daeman wrote: While your playing around for fun and research.... Mazda klze or klde with turbo or supercharger would be mighty fine. Keeps it in the family to. Just saying....

Or a 13B-REW. You don't even have to keep the factory twins.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
1/7/16 5:27 p.m.

An LT4 would be insane. 640 horses in a Miata!

NickD
NickD HalfDork
1/7/16 5:37 p.m.

I'd rather have the LS than the LT. The LS can be had for cheaper, its more common, it has more aftermarket support, it is easier to work on and it's more of a known quantity. I don't feel like the extra 20hp of the LT1 over the LS3 is worth the complexity and a tune on the LS3 will make up the power difference and then some.

Keith Tanner
1/7/16 5:38 p.m.
McTinkerson wrote:
daeman wrote: While your playing around for fun and research.... Mazda klze or klde with turbo or supercharger would be mighty fine. Keeps it in the family to. Just saying....
Or a 13B-REW. You don't even have to keep the factory twins.

All junkyard engines. Not what we're interested in. We'll let others shoehorn the magic spinny triangles and the old Mazda V6s in. There's no real benefit to keeping it in the family, and the Chevy LS engines are stupendous.

Remember, we are a business. This gives us different priorities than some guy standing in his driveway looking at a Camaro SS and an MGB!

Keith Tanner
1/7/16 5:48 p.m.
NickD wrote: I'd rather have the LS than the LT. The LS can be had for cheaper, its more common, it has more aftermarket support, it is easier to work on and it's more of a known quantity. I don't feel like the extra 20hp of the LT1 over the LS3 is worth the complexity and a tune on the LS3 will make up the power difference and then some.

When you factor in the existence of the LS376/525 crate, it's even more lopsided. The LT1 is a pretty tough sell over the LS3.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/7/16 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

You gotta have the best job in the world.

Keith Tanner
1/7/16 7:04 p.m.

Part of my job is to make that appear to be true

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/7/16 7:07 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/7/16 7:45 p.m.

Some of the questions you guys ask.