1 2 3
NickD
NickD HalfDork
1/8/16 1:01 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Of course, you're just trolling for fun Other than that, I have to say that the GRM discussion has been one of the best of the various discussions of this photo online.
It's certainly better than the facebook "Why would you ruin a Miata with a V8" discussions I have seen.

I saw a comment that was "Why would you ruin a Miata by converting it to RWD just so that you could put a V8 in it?"

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/16 1:13 p.m.

Ha! I like that one. Save the FWD Miatas!

NickD
NickD HalfDork
1/8/16 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I'll admit though that up until about 5 years ago, I though BB6-chassis Preludes were RWD. But I didn't pay much attention to Hondas back then and the proportions make it look like it should be RWD

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
1/8/16 3:04 p.m.

So, Keith... you gonna have an LS powered ND running by Summer Camp?

Mostly kidding... I know you probably have higher priorities with the ND right now. Although I bet there's already a customer that wants the first one...

Keith Tanner
1/8/16 3:15 p.m.

Actually, I think that would be a worthwhile goal. I tend to be the guy who sets big targets. Dunno if it's realistic, we need to have a council of war and talk this out.

And yes, we've got someone who's just itching to send us a car. If the R&D car changes to red, you'll know what happened.

Keith Tanner
1/8/16 3:32 p.m.

Anyone care to have a look at our FAQ and weigh in with more questions or comments? Email (keith@flyinmiata.com) or in this thread. Always appreciated.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/ND.php

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/8/16 9:31 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Anyone care to have a look at our FAQ and weigh in with more questions or comments? Email (keith@flyinmiata.com) or in this thread. Always appreciated. https://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/ND.php

What about CARB legality? Same deal as the NA/NB kits with the 430 hp e-rod?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/8/16 9:34 p.m.

Also, does the swap retain the sound tube?

Keith Tanner
1/9/16 12:21 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Anyone care to have a look at our FAQ and weigh in with more questions or comments? Email (keith@flyinmiata.com) or in this thread. Always appreciated. https://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/ND.php
What about CARB legality? Same deal as the NA/NB kits with the 430 hp e-rod?

Ooh, good one. To answer the question here before I update the page - the E-ROD EO only applies to cars built before 1996. To get CARB on this thing would require transferring all the emissions controls (including stock manifolds and cats) from a single donor car. Space constraints make this highly unlikely.

As for the sound tubes, we may not find that necessary. But if you want it, I'll find a way to keep it

NickD
NickD HalfDork
1/9/16 6:55 a.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago:

Here's your "sound tube"

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
1/9/16 7:42 a.m.

Oooh shiny

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/16 8:39 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I know it hasn't been asked here, but the usual response to an LS swap is "LS swaps are so played out, you should use a Coyote FORD FOREVER LIKE MY PAPA DONE TAUGHT ME!" Well, here's a reason why not. That's an old SBF on the right, it's about the same size as an LS3. Coyote on the left.

The reason why GM is sticking with pushrods for the forseeable future for most of its V engines. They're WAY more space-efficient. You can cram more horsepower into a smaller space.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
1/9/16 8:46 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: I know it hasn't been asked here, but the usual response to an LS swap is "LS swaps are so played out, you should use a Coyote FORD FOREVER LIKE MY PAPA DONE TAUGHT ME!" Well, here's a reason why not. That's an old SBF on the right, it's about the same size as an LS3. Coyote on the left.
The reason why GM is sticking with pushrods for the forseeable future for most of its V engines. They're WAY more space-efficient. You can cram more horsepower into a smaller space.

Also, way back when GM was developing the LS1 for the C5, they built a 4V DOHC engine and what became the LS1 and put them in a pair of prototypes and sealed the hoods and had the press drive the two prototypes back-to-back without telling them which was which and tell them which they preferred. The response was overwhelmingly in favor of what became the LS1.

Keith Tanner
1/9/16 9:34 a.m.

The term is power density.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qRA4qKDcb8B1mi1bJaAHNt0Jy10Sncb61jccVKNSOZrDSJg2H7ZVUc9YOhfkfIRT