1 2
irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/5/18 8:34 p.m.

Starting to think seriously about the WRX replacement and while I would consider another WRX, I would really like something that is both fun and quick AND gets good fuel economy (the WRX definitely doesnt') for commuting.

Anyone here have one? Any thoughts about long-term reliability (I tend to keep cars for a long time)?

spandak
spandak Reader
6/5/18 10:35 p.m.

No experience but the mileage is tempting for me too. Everything I’ve seen says it’s brilliant on real roads, you know, with other people and speed bumps and stuff. 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
6/5/18 11:11 p.m.

I can't get past how ugly the car is, no matter how great a chassis/engine it has

hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
6/6/18 7:29 a.m.

Besides being slower than your WRX it seems to be a really nice vehicle--a do it all car. I liked it but was not blown away by it when I test drove it unlike the fiesta st. Two major demerits in my book: the engine lacks character (I had an eighth gen si) and the clutch feels weird or rather doesn't seem to feel at all. I can't think of a better sporty new car for the money (the Elantra sport lacks LSD and the fiesta st feels too small for me). For a deep dive, look here: 

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-honda-civic-si-in-depth-review

 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/6/18 8:20 a.m.

Yeah, I'm in on seeing some real-world experiences as well. My Mazda could go south at any moment, so I need to be ready to rock at a moment's notice with picking up a new car. These look GREAT on paper if you need a daily driver that gets good mileage and won't bore you to death. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/18 8:25 a.m.

A friend of mine just got a Civic Si, either 2018 or 2019. He likes it a lot. I got one ride in it, and it is surprisingly roomy and the interior its pretty decent. Power seemed decent as well, not insane, but certainly enough to get out of its own way. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
6/6/18 8:28 a.m.

If the stock power isn't sufficient, a tune gets massive gains for these cars as well. The shop that tuned my Miata put a canned tune in an all-stock 2018 Si and picked up 30+hp and 80+lb-ft. And their dyno tends to be super conservative.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/6/18 9:05 a.m.

There's one in orange that must belong to a worker at Wal Mart because it's always there. It's a sexy car. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/6/18 9:17 a.m.

We have our review here, too.

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
6/6/18 9:54 a.m.

I was in much lust with the one that sat at the local Honda lot for over a year. Never drove it thankfully, or it would have probably come home with me. I am a very big fan of current Civic styling. Hoping that by the time my warranty runs out on the Fit that someone will have figured out how to put SI turbo and tuning into it cheap-ish.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
6/6/18 10:00 a.m.

I’ve read that the rev-hang is a bit annoying, and the clutch doesn’t hold up forever with a tune.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/6/18 3:51 p.m.
loosecannon said:

I can't get past how ugly the car is, no matter how great a chassis/engine it has

Honestly, the new Si looks way better than the other civics....doesn't have all the huge fake vents in the bumper and stuff like that. I could do without the wing on the back, but that's removable. For 24k new, with 6MT, 200+hp, and LSD stock and not all the fancy tech stuff that the other Civics come with....the only thing i really dislike about the package is the FWD part, which I can deal with.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/6/18 3:54 p.m.
hotchocolate said:

Besides being slower than your WRX it seems to be a really nice vehicle--a do it all car. I liked it but was not blown away by it when I test drove it unlike the fiesta st. Two major demerits in my book: the engine lacks character (I had an eighth gen si) and the clutch feels weird or rather doesn't seem to feel at all. I can't think of a better sporty new car for the money (the Elantra sport lacks LSD and the fiesta st feels too small for me). For a deep dive, look here: 

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-honda-civic-si-in-depth-review

 

Yep, well there is pretty much no chance that whatever I get will be as fast as the WRX (tuned, full suspension, putting 280 to the wheels), but I can deal with that as long as it's "quick enough." With gas prices going up and up, I'm fine with cashing in power for mileage to some degree. Elantra GT Sport is on the list, but again the lack of LSD and how hard it is to actually FIND one with m/t around here to even test-drive is pushing me away. I just don't like the exterior or interior of the Fiesta (and isn't it discontinued anyhow now?)

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/6/18 3:57 p.m.

I'm holding out for a 200 hp CRX Si update offering.    Or should I just get a BRZ and be done with it?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/6/18 4:10 p.m.

On the looks: I think they look great, except the rear fascia. Those honeycomb void fillers on the bumpers are weird, and are 3X the size of the ones on the regular Civic sedan. Not sure why that happened. See what I mean?

That said, I like the center exit exhaust and I can live with the rest. 

I also was considering at least test driving the Elantra with the Sport package, but I also live where there are ZERO M/T cars available to drive. I also have a checkered past with Hyundai, so that plays into the decision as well. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/6/18 5:26 p.m.

All I really know about them is that I hated the looks when I saw the photos but having seen the car in person I like it.

parker
parker Reader
6/6/18 5:57 p.m.

I'm sure it's a fine car.  But for my taste it's just UG to the power of LY.

 

 

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/6/18 6:07 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

On the looks: I think they look great, except the rear fascia. Those honeycomb void fillers on the bumpers are weird, and are 3X the size of the ones on the regular Civic sedan. Not sure why that happened. See what I mean?

That said, I like the center exit exhaust and I can live with the rest. 

I also was considering at least test driving the Elantra with the Sport package, but I also live where there are ZERO M/T cars available to drive. I also have a checkered past with Hyundai, so that plays into the decision as well. 

The Si Coupe has a different rear end though, with smaller bumper fillers, which look WAAAAY better. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/7/18 7:38 a.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Yeah, it does look 100% better than the sedan! I'd be stuck likely getting the 4 door, though. I really wish they offered the Si on the weird hatch thing instead of the "Sport" package; that would be cool. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/7/18 8:03 a.m.

I must be in the minority, I think the sedan looks way better than the coupe.  Long FWD coupes just seem to have goofy proportions.  Same goes for the last few generations of Civics.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/7/18 8:10 a.m.

It's way bigger than the old Accord was. 

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
6/7/18 8:57 a.m.

I was actually thinking (hoping) that the introduction of the new turbo Si would drop the price on the last gen of the VTEC Si's, but man those seem to have all but disappeared around me. And, when they do come up, they are asking almost as much as a new Si.

I prefer the look of the 2015, and with an intake, exhaust and Hondata tune they seem to be pretty peppy.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/7/18 9:20 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I must be in the minority, I think the sedan looks way better than the coupe.  Long FWD coupes just seem to have goofy proportions.  Same goes for the last few generations of Civics.

I can't quite decide if the Civic coupe actually looks good or if it just looks so much better than my Accord coupe that I perceive it as good. 

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
6/7/18 10:27 a.m.

I cross-shopped an Si and ended up buying the Elantra Sport.  The Si is definitely the one I'd pick if you have any sort of motorsport aspirations, but there were a lot of things that annoyed me about the Si for a daily that the Elantra just did better.

Plus, the Hyundai people just throw rebates at you, the Honda guys were pretty proud of the Civic and wouldn't deal a bit.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
6/7/18 10:38 a.m.

In reply to jj :

How tall are you?  I’m 6’ and when I sat in one of the new Civics with a sunroof, I wasn’t sure I’d fit with a helmet on.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
RIEgEwxbCDXDSHUJjqIQGXFdwNRt2GiAkMgAGxRjhCjZUTCAcHCQTpghMOCsXDfv