1 2
einy
einy HalfDork
3/5/20 10:22 a.m.
Vigo said:

The DRL were so berkeleying bright that they illuminated the road just fine, even on a street with no lights. But the rear lights weren’t on. The only way we really would have known was that the dashboard lights were too bright, but they weren’t ridiculously so. 

I see this particular problem on the roads a lot. What makes it worse is since so many instrument clusters are 'screens' anyway now, they're never off. In the old days you would still know your headlights were off because your gauges would be dark! Now they're just 'still bright', and so many people who do mostly urban driving don't ever drive in the 'actual dark' enough to realize that bright gauges wash out your night vision, so 'city folk' just keep their gauge brightness cranked to the max all the time anyway. One less way to notice you didn't turn your headlights on..  

I see the same nearly every morning anymore while driving in to work. 

My GTI is the opposite example.  The instruments are always backlit, but the backlighting turns off if ambient light is below a setpoint (sensor on the dash top) and the headlights are not turned on.  That way, the driver knows that he/she needs to turn their lights on if they cannot read the instruments.  Not foolproof, but pretty close assuming the driver is at least sort of paying attention.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/20 2:33 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
mtn said:

My random thoughts on it:

2. Everything is tall now. The Miata put me at eye level with the bumpers of a new F150. Extreme example but my dad’s new stock GTI is similar. So a reasonable headlight height for most vehicles puts them right in the eyes of us with sedans/coupes/convertibles/etc. 

As a sedan driver this is my main gripe about them.  That, and those trucks are just so tall in general, that if I'm next to one at an intersection or parked next to one in a lot that there's no way to see around them.

the new trucks make my Diso seem tiny in comparison. Parked next to a bottom of the barrel F150, they still have almost a foot in height over my Rover

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
3/6/20 2:47 a.m.

I really dig the new F-250s, with all four headlights on, all the time!

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/20 6:02 a.m.

A big part of the reason I sold my 2016 was the dismal headlights on the XLT.  

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
3/6/20 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

I drive a 2018.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P5b7kaOrwuuj9Eh6kmZV6mZ8LRYWjbCpOXJMu89EPIe0xZA8LTEFqrU3p0bWx6P4