1 2
Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/25/15 10:45 a.m.

Well, at least now i can make measurements and have something concrete. That is progress.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/25/15 11:41 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Wasn't there a turbo Caravan at the $1500 or $2001 Challenge?

Yes there was.
Turbo, manual Voyager is pretty much the benchmark of the class. But, that doesn't mean it is the only way and that first Challenge was 15 years ago.
Other options have depreciated to the realm of possibilities now.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/26/15 4:25 p.m.

It'll be ironic if it was allowed before anyone stopped to think whether it should be allowed, but now doesn't hit the rules requirements.

I'll let y'all know if mine passes. I've got mine as low as it can be while hitting the bumpstops before breaking the oil pan, so any further gains would have to come from wheel changes.

EDIT: As low as possible in the front but with a 24.7" tire on 6.5" +40mm rims WITH a 1.25" spacer.. 64" high and only 62.x" wide.

So.. If i go down to a 23" tire on an 8.25" rim (i.e. buy wheels/tires for my Lancer and run them on the van at GRM?) it may work. Other than looking retarded but the van is ugly as hell anyway.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
1/9/16 7:34 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
EricM wrote: Does it have to be a van? Can it be a wagon?
Much chatter and collaboration has happened up to this point, here. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/start-planning-for-next-year-soccer-moms-invade-th/107086/page1/ What do you have in mind? To summarize... This class is intended for unlikely contenders. The SUV path has been proven by The Jeep XJ-R. Wagons are often just sedans with a different rear window. But, exceptions in the spirit of the Minivan intentions have been made to include early Odyssey, Aztec and Dajiban. Of course, this does not mean you can't bring a wagon or SUV to The Challenge, just not sure it will be in the Soccer mom sub-class as well. What do you have in mind?

Volvo wagon, I would guess it doesn't qualify, and that's ok.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/9/16 7:42 p.m.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/16 9:02 p.m.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/13/16 3:05 p.m.
Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/13/16 3:41 p.m.

I wonder how you end up with a MPH speedo, right next to a tach that never existed in the US, on a minivan in England.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/13/16 4:50 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: someone needs to have this shipped across the pond. RHD, Diesel, Manual

Shipping doesn't count towards budget... just saying

Chadeux
Chadeux New Reader
1/13/16 4:55 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

I though MPH was still the standard in England.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
1/13/16 4:57 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I wonder how you end up with a MPH speedo, right next to a tach that never existed in the US, on a minivan in England.

Miles are English units. If it had been sold anywhere else in Europe it would have had a KPH speedo.

5-speed diesel with leather does seem odd though...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RfrMEnnaVtO8LDDPJvEttFaazFuVh5gBQeSykJ0sx5QmOOPhmC97Ihdf8kxcDHYW