David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/5/20 2:22 p.m.

On the same day that Florida recorded a high score for new positive Covid cases–nearly 11,500 added to the tally for just July 4, enough to almost tie New York’s peak–we headed to Daytona International Speedway for the IMSA WeatherTech 240. 

The things we do for a story. 

And a love of racing. 

Why did you go? Science. Journalism. Also, to …

Read the rest of the story

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/5/20 3:00 p.m.

So you went there entirely as a "civilian".  No press privileges?

I have to wonder how big a financial hit they took putting this on.  What is normal attendance?

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/5/20 3:21 p.m.

Thanks for chronicling all of the details, David.  We have tickets for the 2021 Daytona 500, bought well before Covid19 was even a thing, and I really wonder if/how that is all going to come together.  

David S. Wallens
7/5/20 3:25 p.m.

Yup, no press pass. Steven Cole Smith had a press pass and was in the tower. 

eastpark
eastpark Reader
7/5/20 3:26 p.m.

Terrific article David. We share the same perspective on dealing with this virus and if I had the chance I would have loved to attend, sadly we still have a closed border in between. 

David S. Wallens
7/5/20 3:36 p.m.

In reply to eastpark :

Thank you. I have a doctor appointment for tomorrow and see that the waiting room is rated at a 4 on that risk scale. I can see that: a closed, confined room with the a/c going. Hopefully I can wait outside or in the car if it's busy. I did telemed for an earlier appointment with my primary, but this one needs to be in person. 

eastpark
eastpark Reader
7/5/20 3:44 p.m.

That's the way all of our medical and vet appointments have been: get to their parking lot, call them and wait 'till it's your turn. 

David S. Wallens
7/5/20 3:46 p.m.

In reply to eastpark :

Yeah, I have done a few like that as well. This will be my first visit with this doctor since last year, so we'll see how it goes. 

Good article-thanks.

Enjoyed the extra effort you took to cover the event as a spectator.  Like the saying goes. pictures are worth 1000 words.

christinaylam (Forum Supporter)
christinaylam (Forum Supporter) New Reader
7/5/20 4:39 p.m.

Very cool look into what motorsports is like as a spectator these days. It is crazy to look back at January and compare just how different it was for the 24. IMSA is doing a great job creating a safe environment to keep the risk low for everybody attending. 

David S. Wallens
7/5/20 7:41 p.m.

Thank you for the kind words. And, yeah, it's hard to "just go to an event." smiley

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/5/20 7:45 p.m.

This is really interesting and heartening. Thanks for going and sharing! 

Now, can we do something about the g-d awful NBC coverage? It was about 1/3rd race, 1/3rd ads and 1/3rd Nascar promotion.

Trouper60
Trouper60 New Reader
7/6/20 11:46 a.m.

We were delivering meals to the corner Marshals - didn't realize there were fans in the stands until we saw the parking lot.  Looked for the Fox on Sunday at ChampCar and never saw it.  Is there a story there?

David S. Wallens
7/6/20 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Trouper60 :

The Fox did take the green on Sunday, and full report to come soon. 

MiataHank
MiataHank None
7/6/20 10:10 p.m.

Good article. It was a great race- I thought they handled everything exceptionally well. I was hoping when they announced this race that they might change their mind from no spectators to at least spectators in the grandstands. BTW, that's us in front of you at the temperature checks, in the wife's MX-5. Had a good feeling that this could be Mazda's opportunity to win at Daytona, so we were glad to be there to see it. Small field, fast racing and green flag from start to checker. Glad we went. Amelia was the last car event before Covid canceled everything, and it seems like so long ago...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/7/20 6:16 a.m.

Nice write up. Thanks.

David S. Wallens
7/8/20 3:20 p.m.

In reply to MiataHank :

That's funny that you were right in front of us. My parents also have a white ND. They were excited to see it in the article as well. 

David S. Wallens
7/8/20 4:04 p.m.

And looks like Daytona will be busy next month with a full slate of NASCAR races on the road course

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/8/20 5:23 p.m.

I'm glad you went, and had fun. Great article. 

It was obvious that there wasn't much of a crowd. We were open until four at my office across from the grandstand. I left work soon after that, and I couldn't even tell that it was a race day when I got out to ISB.

Matt_B
Matt_B
7/9/20 11:15 a.m.

I was Corner Working Turn 3.  It took us a while to find the fans (yall blend in with the multi colored seats) but when we found them it seemed like everyone was about pit exit to Turn 1 up high and spread apart quite nicely.  And yes, the reason the temp check lines were not moving at that time was because we were in a lightning shut down, and everyone had to take shelter.  

I was thrilled when the race started late because of lightning, it gave us racing at night!  And the fireworks were awesome watching from turn 3. 

Matt_B
Matt_B New Reader
7/9/20 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Trouper60 :

Thank you for the food delivery!  The hoagie really hit the spot!  I was working turn 3. 

David S. Wallens
7/9/20 11:23 a.m.

We should have had a GRM get-together at the event. (I kid.)

A good friend of mine was also there. We chatted through the entire race via texts. Never saw each other in person, though. I think he was in the 300-section. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r6SMzEZb4OPxidPNKCMUibQoJaExM6pK6EIQl41PmtVeYIiXatHfKUN2D6WILDKo