1 2 3
Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/9/15 7:38 a.m.

I'm all about bang for my buck. For whatever reason, I keep looking back at the Sonic RS. I've driven several LTZ models as rentals and thought they were fun little hatches. In stock form, a Fiesta ST will run circles around it and the Focus ST is in an entirely different league. However, money has to come into play somewhere. The FoST is roughly $18k for a nice used one. FiST is $16k, maybe a touch less. A nice low mileage Sonic RS can be had for $11k. That's a lot of dough. Trifecta offers a tune for the RS, and from what I've read, it'll push the power to near FiST levels. If my math is right, with a tune, the Sonic RS would be around 180-185hp and 200-205lb/ft of tq. The tune is under $300. So for under $11,500 you can get a Sonic RS that should be able to run with a FiST. Am I missing something here? Could a tuned Sonic RS be a budget hot hatch?

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/9/15 8:14 a.m.

No witchcraft/sorcery diff.

And GM.

I'd personally buy the FiST myself, they're incredibly fun to drive. The suspension feel and interior quality is in a different league than the Sonic RS. Also see here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/fiesta-st-vs-sonic-rs/87216/page1/

You need to drive both and see if you would be happy if you settle for an RS.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/15 8:15 a.m.

For $11,500 you can let us all know. :) These cars are almost old enough to merit a hot hatch round up and buyer's guide.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/9/15 8:18 a.m.
flatlander937 wrote: No witchcraft/sorcery diff. And GM. I'd personally buy the FiST myself, they're incredibly fun to drive. The suspension feel and interior quality is in a different league than the Sonic RS. Also see here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/fiesta-st-vs-sonic-rs/87216/page1/ You need to drive both and see if you would be happy if you settle for an RS.

Yes, I had read through that earlier thread. But that was comparing new car to new car. Depreciation is a wonderful thing. The Sonic RS is almost half of what it was new. The FiST is much more expensive. I agree 100% that new to new the FiST is a runaway winner. But when the price difference for lightly used ones becomes huge, it's something to look at.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
12/9/15 8:28 a.m.

Isn't there something about the gearing of the RS that actually makes the LT and LTZ versions a better choice?

I also vote to just go with the FiST or FoST. Just a better, all-around package.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/9/15 8:34 a.m.

wait for the Fiesta RS to come out and finance it. (and yes I did not mean Focus RS, they're going to drop the 2.0L ecoboost into the Fiesta and badge it as an RS)

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/9/15 8:58 a.m.

Fiesta RS sounds like it's going to be awesome, and maybe two years after they hit the market, I'd look at them. But I'd rather let someone else take the depreciation hit. If I hit the lottery, different story, but until then... Also, because I drive 30k+ miles per year, I can't wrap my mind around the idea of spending a ton of money on a daily driver. Whatever I get is going to get used hard, and my stomach turns at the idea of taking a new $20k+ car and quickly turning it into a high mileage beaten car that has little value. I'd rather start with a low mile, lightly used car that already took a huge depreciation hit...then kill it.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
12/9/15 9:07 a.m.

I'd say the sonic RS plus tune would be an excellent budget hot hatch.

NickD
NickD Reader
12/9/15 9:24 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Isn't there something about the gearing of the RS that actually makes the LT and LTZ versions a better choice? I also vote to just go with the FiST or FoST. Just a better, all-around package.

The RS actually has more performance oriented gearing. Instead of adding more power (the biggest complaint about the Sonic) they tried to crutch it with the gearing. I don't think it was particularly successful though, as for $26K you could get the FiST and go way faster.

I do like the styling on the Sonic though (especially in Inferno Orange) and the motorcycle-style gauge cluster is a real nice touch. Plus the Sonic 6MT has one of the best shifter and clutch feels in the Gm inventory short of the 'Vette.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/15 9:30 a.m.

Depends on what you want to do with it. The Sonic would move out of a stock class, so if you plan to autocross it, you will be against the FiST with a Cobb Stage 3 and you will be right back where you started. For a really fun DD however, you could win some stoplight drags and have a lot of fun on twisty back roads. If funds are an issue (and when are they not) I would say you have a decent plan.

Watch Transformers, Revenge of the Fallen and tell me you don't want a Sonic with a loud exhaust!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
12/9/15 9:39 a.m.

The fords are just so much better car that the 100$ increase in Monthly loans would pale plus stock boost level would make it more reliable. Willing to bet you could find a st1 focus for 16k if you looked

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/9/15 9:51 a.m.

If you can find a Sonic LTZ with the manual, go for one over the RS, especially if you plan on adding a tune. GM put a shorter final drive in the RS that gives a pretty big hit to fuel economy while doing nearly nothing for performance, according to most reviews.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
12/9/15 9:54 a.m.

What's comparable to the sonic that is available under 15K? If the Fords are monetarily out of reach but the sonic is not, what beats it?

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
12/9/15 10:05 a.m.

I maybe completely wrong, but isn't the non rs sonic banned from scca autox events for roll over danger?

NickD
NickD Reader
12/9/15 10:18 a.m.
chiodos wrote: I maybe completely wrong, but isn't the non rs sonic banned from scca autox events for roll over danger?

I don't believe so. We had someone running one in H/Street this year. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the non-ST Fiesta or non-Abarth 500?

STM317
STM317 Reader
12/9/15 10:26 a.m.

What if you could get a 2015 FiST with 14k miles and a salvage title for $7k?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Fiesta-ST-/201481299491?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ee938a623:g:~JkAAOSw8-tWZyw-&item=201481299491

It would be fairly new, low miles, and fun for pretty cheap, even after you fix it up. I see a new headlight, hood, bumpercover, and driver's airbag. You could probably be driving it for under $10k if there's nothing major lurking. If you're going to put 200k miles on it, and drive it into the ground is the salvage title really a big deal?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/9/15 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Nick (LUCAS) Comstock:

turbo Hyundai Elantra hatch? Though I'm betting that the Sonic handles better out of the box.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/9/15 10:27 a.m.

To answer a few comments.

First, whatever I get will very likely see zero autox or track days. I've learned to "never say never", but I haven't done either in 5+ years. LeMons is my drug of choice there. So the car will be 100% daily commuter and errand runner.

It's not a matter of the FoST or FiST being out of financial reach. I'm by no means wealthy, but I can afford either one. I'm just extremely value oriented. I want a fast and fun car, but the more I can save off my daily driver, the more cash I have for LeMons or other fun things, including my kids. The FoST is an entirely different car, tons more power than either the Sonic or FiST can make, and priced accordingly. It's one hell of a car. FiST is also an awesome car, but it's only a few grand less than the FoST in the used market. The Sonic RS is roughly $11k and I could get a loaded LTZ turbo hatch with under 30k miles for under $10k all day long. So for me, as I've said, there is no question the FoST is in an entirely different league than the Sonic and in the end I may decide it's worth the extra pile of cash. I'm just throwing around ideas that may help me get my cake and eat it too.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
12/9/15 10:33 a.m.

No autocross and you want to have fun ABARTH

Under 11K bet you could get it for 10K. Chop it, put sticky tires on it and do the cowl intake and go have tons and tons of fun.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-500-ABARTH-/201466935540?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ee85d78f4:g:2E4AAOSwQoFWQsvX&item=201466935540

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat Dork
12/9/15 10:34 a.m.

I recently returned a rented Chevy Sonic LTZ with the turbo 1.4l. I was very pleasantly surprised by this car. Yeah, automatics are dumb, but it was still very entertaining to drive. I used my Bluetooth OBD2 reader + Torque on my phone as a boost gauge and saw peak boost of just over 15 PSI. Chevy was thinking of me when they designed the steering column on this car, I was able to wedge my phone in the just below the instrument cluster.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/9/15 10:41 a.m.

Buy my FoST and beat the crap out of it.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/open-classifieds/2014-focus-st-in-connecticut/106643/page1/

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/9/15 10:45 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to Nick (LUCAS) Comstock: turbo Hyundai Elantra hatch? Though I'm betting that the Sonic handles better out of the box.

They don't make one. MAYBE for '17. Right now it's the Forte5 SX that your're looking at 14-up.

Speaking of..... holy E36 M3! http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/653900167/overview/

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/9/15 10:56 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: No autocross and you want to have fun ABARTH Under 11K bet you could get it for 10K. Chop it, put sticky tires on it and do the cowl intake and go have tons and tons of fun. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-500-ABARTH-/201466935540?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ee85d78f4:g:2E4AAOSwQoFWQsvX&item=201466935540

I want to drive to work, not ride in a tow truck. Besides, I really want a four door. If I'm getting a coupe, it'd have to be larger.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
12/9/15 10:56 a.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: What's comparable to the sonic that is available under 15K? If the Fords are monetarily out of reach but the sonic is not, what beats it?

Abarths......and they're second in class to the Fiesta ST.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
12/9/15 11:00 a.m.
Klayfish wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote: No autocross and you want to have fun ABARTH Under 11K bet you could get it for 10K. Chop it, put sticky tires on it and do the cowl intake and go have tons and tons of fun. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-500-ABARTH-/201466935540?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ee85d78f4:g:2E4AAOSwQoFWQsvX&item=201466935540
I want to drive to work, not ride in a tow truck. Besides, I really want a four door. If I'm getting a coupe, it'd have to be larger.

Ehh, I personally don't find the 5 door hatches to have more room really.....I wish we got the Fiesta ST 3 door instead of the 5 door. Thus far, only issue I have had is a CEL that every '13 Abarth gets, then promptly gets reflashed and never comes back. LoL

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KfAU5cDBJHioG3j8D3YUMjaLcrcOSvcpVNFB6Mk7lYpDSY5OTFsRLuZz0Dmw6HOt