1 2
The0retical
The0retical Dork
2/28/17 9:16 a.m.
dculberson wrote: Everyone whines about unoriginal design, then when something different comes out ...

Oh no I love everything about it, except the grill. The "corporate grill" is a blight on the industry.

I hope the next CEO of Nissan asks for the person that suggested it, asks if there are any studies to supports support their necessity, then very public fires that person for ever bringing it up and tells the design department to make good looking cars.

If you look close at the front end of the LC500 half of the grill is blocked off anyway, like most of its contemporaries. It's just a spot for dirt and debris to collect and it isn't like the grills are an interchangeable part between models so was necessitated for for cost savings.

I wouldn't want people going "Oh that's a Lexus/BMW/Audi/Ford" I'd want people going "Wow! What was that?"

NickD
NickD SuperDork
2/28/17 9:35 a.m.
markwemple wrote: Everyone serms to be in an ugly contest. The 60s brought us beautiful cars, right now almost everything is ugly. Thank God for Ferrari and Maserati.

Yes, Ferrari, because clearly this is so much more attractive

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
2/28/17 11:54 a.m.
The0retical wrote: If you look close at the front end of the LC500 half of the grill is blocked off anyway, like most of its contemporaries. It's just a spot for dirt and debris to collect and it isn't like the grills are an interchangeable part between models so was necessitated for for cost savings. I wouldn't want people going "Oh that's a Lexus/BMW/Audi/Ford" I'd want people going "Wow! What was that?"

You can blame pedestrian impact safety standards. Wide, rounder hoods help lessen injury. It's hell on car design, though.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/28/17 11:59 a.m.

If anything, this board reinforces the fact that people have VERY different opinions of what is attractive and what is not. It's amazing to me how many of you absolutely love cars that I find really ugly. On the other hand, I'm sure there are cars I find attractive that wouldn't turn many of you on.

and that's ok. I mean, those that disagree with me are clearly blind idiots......but it's ok....

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
2/28/17 12:01 p.m.
NickD wrote:
markwemple wrote: Everyone serms to be in an ugly contest. The 60s brought us beautiful cars, right now almost everything is ugly. Thank God for Ferrari and Maserati.
Yes, Ferrari, because clearly *this* is so much more attractive

When did Ferrari put a new nose on an FR-S?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/28/17 7:52 p.m.

I think the LC500 is one of the most exciting new cars to come out in recent memory. I'm not a huge fan of the Lexus corporate grille here, but the car looks good and the grille looks a lot better than it does on several other models.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
2/28/17 8:01 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ci_ESngxFEY?ecver=2

Also, it's amazing that all of these noises are genuine. No computer fakery here.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/2/17 7:00 p.m.

I too was shocked that Lexus decided to make it sound like that.

I'm still eagerly awaiting reviews of the hybrid. I suspect the new hybrid E-cvt will totally change the driving experience (vs the older version of that drivetrain in the GS450h) and make the whole idea of a CVT car having a sporty experience fully plausible. It will be not much slower to 60 even while down 100hp. What's interesting is that Lexus put the 5.0 v8 in front of their old rwd hybrid trans in the LS600hL and while very powerful, it was not sporty because it was quiet obviously detuned to protect itself. If they ever decide to use the v8 in the front of the new hybrid trans, it could be VERY interesting.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/17 8:33 p.m.

Hmmm. I was always inclined to think of the last batch of Lexxi(?) as being more like...

Lexus, by your command.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
3/2/17 8:47 p.m.

I went to see one tonight. It is beautiful. Great interior, the engine sounds mean,it looks fabulous. The taillights are really cool. I think Lexus will do well with these.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/3/17 6:46 a.m.
Aspen wrote: I think Lexus will do well with these.

That depends on the price point. Most people looking to drop $150-$200,000 on a halo car aren't going to set foot in a Lexus dealership except to buy something nice and trouble free for the trophy wife.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
3/3/17 11:35 a.m.

I think people are gonna buy a car like this thats reliable. This or 6 series? For me, no contest, this is prettier and wont eat you alive with bullE36 M3 repairs.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
3/3/17 12:22 p.m.

In reply to sesto elemento:

I just don't know about that hybrid 10 speed transmission. I mean 4 speed conventional and 6 speed CVT together. Sounds scary. LOL

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/17 1:18 p.m.

The car has a really nice shape. Even the predator grille is almost tolerable on this.

BTW Lexus knows exactly what they're doing here. The reason for the predator grille is that rich Chinese buyers want a car that "stands out" at any cost.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/3/17 9:19 p.m.
Duke wrote:
That depends on the price point. Most people looking to drop $150-$200,000 on a halo car aren't going to set foot in a Lexus dealership except to buy something nice and trouble free for the trophy wife.

Well, this won't go much over 100k and if a bunch of them end up bought for wives i'd personally be totally happy with that. As long as it sells at all!!

I just don't know about that hybrid 10 speed transmission. I mean 4 speed conventional and 6 speed CVT together. Sounds scary. LOL

It's a CVT feeding into a 4spd auto. I dont know where you're getting the 6spd thing from. The CVT will still be able to continuously vary the overall ratio, so it's still continuously variable in spite of the fixed ratios. The 4spd part allows the CVT to have a wider ratio spread and (probably) the sensation of much firmer/sportier 'shifts'. The 10 simulated fixed ratios are just there to try to make it feel more like a normal modern sporty car. The normal CVT experience wouldn't sell in this type of car.

The GS450h already has an e-cvt feeding into a 2-spd trans. It works but doesn't simulate fixed ratios very well even in manual mode (no satisfying 'shift' sensation) and the shift between the 2 ratios actually feels like a detraction from the CVT experience. I'm guessing the new cvt+4spd thing is a total game changer and can't wait to drive one! Hopefully it trickles down to the GS450h and makes it even more badass.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
3/4/17 4:16 p.m.
Duke wrote:

Starts at 101,600 cdn so high 70's USD. Compares to a jag, base 911 or m3. It's more a style thing vs. all out performance. I would rock one.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
3/4/17 4:29 p.m.

If the bumper wasn't interrupted and it was two sections of grill I think it would look great.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
3/4/17 5:01 p.m.

I think the LC500 is great looking. It would look even better with a smaller grill.

I don't get the whole grill as style thing. I think cars look better with small, functional, non-obtrusive grills that only exist below the bumper.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gs62RN7TEGRclT1L3AByHA0y6r7mDuZd06ewZErNuhrIMGrAZCmK6Df5bm3PKwoY