1 2 3
te72
te72 HalfDork
10/1/22 2:01 a.m.
Toyman! said:

We will probably be closed Friday other than for emergency calls unless things change. They are talking 45-50 mph sustained and 70 mph gusts here. There is no good reason to be out on the roads in that. 

We call that Tuesday here in Wyoming. We don't have the rain part of the hurricane, but wind like that is typical. =P

Kidding side, hope everybody's alright. Some of the pictures I've seen are rather intense.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/22 8:08 a.m.

In reply to te72 :

Unfortunately our 70 mph winds frequently come with 3' of water over half the roads. Most of the city is only a couple of feet above sea level. I'm 20 miles from the coast and only 35' above sea level. Many areas flood on a high tide. Most of our work is in the city and it's not worth drowning the trucks in salt water to make a few bucks.

The county also closes all the high rise bridges at 50 mph otherwise the trucks start flipping. 

All of mine are good. There are a few trees down but nobody injured in my area. The Fla crowd got hammered. Reminds me of Hugo in '89.

te72
te72 HalfDork
10/1/22 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Yeah the rain you guys get is beyond intense. Fortunately I've avoided hurricanes, living in the western states, but we do get monsoons of varying severity. Saw perhaps the worst one I've ever been through a couple years ago, in early September. Uprooted 100+ year old (big) trees, because instead of hellacious rain, we got hammered with snow and ice.

Nature's a beast...

And closing highways to keep trucks from flipping? Wish Wyoming would do that... nothing like a toppled over semi to close the only highway between two places for hours.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/1/22 3:51 p.m.

Just to update: Saturday check of World HQ revealed no flooding, no damage--and no power. We'll all be working remotely Monday, and feeling lucky for this small inconvenience given what Ian has doled out to so many in the Sunshine State.

Margie

te72
te72 HalfDork
10/1/22 6:04 p.m.

Good to hear Margie, glad you're all safe and the impact has been minimal.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/2/22 1:11 p.m.

We survived. No flooding, no damage, no internet, no cell data but we have power and great neighbors. Texting is spotty. Been cleaning since the storm cleared.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/2/22 1:24 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

After the storm, I looked for your house on Apple Maps and I feared it was completely wiped out. 

David S. Wallens
10/2/22 4:21 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Despite what Apple maps says, the house came through just fine. The trees (and our backs) took a beating. I'm okay with that.

We now have internet, so we're back in business.

Thanks, everyone, for checking in. 

David S. Wallens
10/2/22 4:25 p.m.

And an event like this makes you appreciate your community. 

Before the storm even hit, our next-door neighbors threw a cord to their generator over the fence.

I was in constant contact with our other next-door neighbors–plus they helped us with cleanup.

As soon as the lights went out, our across-the-street neighbor knocked on the door: You all okay? 

te72
te72 HalfDork
10/2/22 4:47 p.m.

You guys have some awesome neighbors DSW. We're fortunate in that regard too, about a third of the people on our street are "car" people in one sense or another. We try to look out for each other when the snow starts piling up.

David S. Wallens
10/3/22 9:22 a.m.

In reply to te72 :

Thanks and yeah, nice to be around people who are neighborly (and like cars, too).

We used to live around the corner from here. When we decided to get a bigger place, we kept coming back to the same neighborhood: Why leave here? So we moved around the corner. That was 20 years ago. 

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
10/3/22 10:09 a.m.

Good News, Everyone: The office is open again!

Pre-HOF Game Weekend Open Thread - Daily Norseman

David S. Wallens
10/4/22 11:07 a.m.

In reply to Nicole Suddard :

Good news, everyone. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/22 11:19 a.m.

So it is not a Dacia Sandero?   laugh

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.