bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
6/6/20 1:32 p.m.

Any recommendations for wire, cheap... I mean affordable?

I've been buying random stuff on Amazon and/or eBay, but I'd like to find some specific OEM style wire, ya know, blue with a yellow stripe, gray with a brown stripe, etc. 16-14 AWG, copper strands, not copper coated aluminum.

Any GRM vendors?

MTechnically (Forum Supporter)
MTechnically (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/6/20 2:11 p.m.

Stripped wire is particularly hard to find, which I found kind of odd, when I was searching for the harness rebuild for my 2002. Two good sources for wiring that I found were Waytek and Wirebarn. Waytek has more in the way of tools, connectors, and power distribution. Wirebarn seems to have a better selection of wire.

https://www.wirebarn.com/

https://www.waytekwire.com/

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
6/6/20 2:48 p.m.

I bought mine from ebay, no direct link but had a mix of color schemes and copper strand I believe. Was happy wit it

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
6/6/20 3:24 p.m.
Papabear
Papabear Reader
6/6/20 4:29 p.m.

Another vote for wire barn. I've bought a bunch from them and always been a good experience. 

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
6/6/20 6:17 p.m.

I find it funny a that every car built like since we've been born has wires that are multi-colored or stripped it you prefer. But you can only find solid color wires for the most parts.  Some company must make the wire for the OEM's. So why can't you find it for sale?

This seems like something a trip to the junkyard with a pair of cutters & a $20 bill would probably get you what you needed, unless it's an old vehicle that wouldn't have any modern counterparts available and/or the manufacturer had completely changed their methodology. 

CaptainYinn
CaptainYinn
6/6/20 6:51 p.m.

There was a recent video by Jafromobile were he made a device to stripe his own wire. The video is of him creating a wiring harness for his Elantra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP37hcFOmKU

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
6/6/20 7:10 p.m.

Delcity.net is my favorite source

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
6/6/20 7:43 p.m.

I haven't checked the others, but Pro Wire def has striped stuff.  And no, I don't work for them, but I've used them several times and been happy with the service.  

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
6/6/20 8:32 p.m.

I've got a stripped Mercedes and a stripped Miata worth of wire. Plenty to last a long time in a variety of colors and gauges.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
6/6/20 10:31 p.m.
CaptainYinn said:

There was a recent video by Jafromobile were he made a device to stripe his own wire. The video is of him creating a wiring harness for his Elantra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP37hcFOmKU

That's clever, I wouldn't expect acrylic to last long term.  Oil based paint pen might be better.

Looks like ProwireUSA is the only one with striped wire in small quantities.  I've bought stuff at Del City before, and they've got striped wire, but you've got to buy 500' minimum.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
6/6/20 10:55 p.m.

I have been using "British Wire" in Bally PA. They try to have all of the Lucas color codes in 3 diameters, using the English size standard. Oops, I should have said colours....Welcome to British Wiring - classic British car wiring harnesses and components Quality seems good, and they sell by the meter, so you only need to buy enough.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
6/7/20 6:49 a.m.

I have a box with the remains of the wiring harness from an unknown car. It has supplied all my wire needs for decades. Plus it has lots of nifty connectors you can cut and splice in.

Most auto body shops have a pile of old wiring harnesses saved from cars. One shop I frequent has them hanging from the rafters in their parts room. They use them for the connectors.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/20 9:24 a.m.

At the shop, we always just scavenged from old wiring harnesses.  It's also a good source of terminals and connectors.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Voyr0fW0PGFJggDGIoatinVh3J53iZqZ9be1Umqtxq9E3rTCLgsmoRV20nLUI5fn