1 2
docwyte
docwyte New Reader
1/5/09 4:44 p.m.

Ever since they got rid of WRC coverage I've barely watched them. I watch Pinks All Out here and there if nothing else is on.

I get BBC America, so at least I can watch Top Gear.

speedblind
speedblind New Reader
1/5/09 6:06 p.m.

Why is that guess the drag time show still on? How is it possible that that show gets more viewers than decent GT/touring car racing?

jrg77
jrg77 New Reader
1/6/09 1:34 a.m.

I don't have cable. I only get to watch when a friend records something for me. I chose not to pay for it because of all the other useless stuff I have to get the ONE channel I would watch. That said, one can see a whole lot of stuff on youtube for free, which is exactly what I do.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/6/09 8:21 a.m.

I think as others have said, the lineup will go back to crap as soon as Nascar is back. Speed TV is the Wal-Mart of the motorsports programming world. You get all of the good and bad that goes along with that.

I work in the cable TV industry and wanted to comment on some of the cable hate going on. The reason you have to buy 'all of that crap' to get the one channel you want has nothing to do with your cable or sattellite provider. The programmers defensively coordinate carriage agreements to force content providers to carry their 'crap.' "If you don't carry 'X' channel, then you pay twice as much for "Y" channel....or mayber you can't have any of our networks."

Take a look at Viacom networks for example:

MEDIA NETWORKS BET NETWORKS BET BET J MTV NETWORKS ATOMFILMS ADDICTINGGAMES CMT COMEDY CENTRAL GAMETRAILERS HARMONIX LOGO MTV MTV2 MTVN INTERNATIONAL MTVU MTV TR3S NEOPETS NICKELODEON - NICK JR. NICK AT NITE NOGGIN PARENTSCONNECT QUIZILLA RHAPSODY
SHOCKWAVE SPIKE
THE N TV LAND
VH1 VH1 CLASSIC
VH1 SOUL VIRTUAL WORLDS XFIRE

The technology is already out there to allow consumers 'a la carte' services, but the programming conglomerates obviously don't want that.

As television becomes packetized / IP-based, the barriers to entry for small programmers become much smaller. I have to think this is a big reason that Google bought YouTube.

In the next 5 years, you will be able to buy a cable box from Google and plug it right into your cable modem.

In this scenario, it is easy for an independant programmer to offer a channel of programming targeted at 'obscure' groups like us. They wouldn't have to compete for limited broadcast spectrum with Viacom.

Then said programmer can sell marketing that is precisely targeted us, and charge reasonable rates for it.

Hello Grassroots Motorsports TV.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/6/09 12:15 p.m.
docwyte wrote: I get BBC America, so at least I can watch Top Gear.

BBC America, the one channel i wish i got

maturbo951
maturbo951 New Reader
1/6/09 4:57 p.m.

Have to admit I like Barrett Jackson. But Nascar really needs to have its own channel so we do have to be subject to it 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I can only take so much rolling poster boards that I am supposed to worship.....UGH!!!!! And all the cars are the same !!!!! Need more SCCA stuff or more shows of 101 cars you must drive ....!!!!!

maturbo951
maturbo951 New Reader
1/6/09 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H:

That cracks me up Walmart of tv when Nascar is on ...LOL!!!! And you are so right. During the off season I LOVE speed.. when nascar is back...OMG!! I have to start watching more spike channel for anything car related !!

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry New Reader
1/26/09 12:02 p.m.

it gets worse...

I was watching the Runoffs today, and saw a commercial for SpeedTV's newest show... "Pimp My Ride".

shakes head

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
2/22/09 7:29 a.m.
hotrodlarry wrote: it gets worse... I was watching the Runoffs today, and saw a commercial for SpeedTV's newest show... "Pimp My Ride". *shakes head*

Must admit even I am shocked by that one....looks like Dream Car Garage bit the dust this year

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KxL8qruyMupcClfAzYuONP5WlASNFSG2XsTqBsyYrXfY3nNisbSkl13xZpePrKBs