1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
TAftonomos
TAftonomos New Reader
3/27/09 10:18 a.m.

I always laughed at SCC after they would do car tuner comparisons.

Shiv Pathak, the owner of Vishnu tuning, would write the biased articles in favor of his cars, without actually disclosing the fact it was his company he was pumping up.

The blatant conflict of interest offended me....because SCC expected it's readers to be unaware of what was going on.

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
11/17/09 11:27 p.m.

Hey everyone. Bringing this thread back from the dead.

Mike Kojima and Dave Coleman as well as a host of other hard core car guys/engineers are back at it. They started this website MOTOIQ and plan to take OLD SCHOOL SCC and crank it to 11.

It's defiantly worth checking out.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/17/09 11:48 p.m.
1slowcrx wrote: Hey everyone. Bringing this thread back from the dead. Mike Kojima and Dave Coleman as well as a host of other hard core car guys/engineers are back at it. They started this website MOTOIQ and plan to take OLD SCHOOL SCC and crank it to 11. It's defiantly worth checking out.

Badass. Will check it out...

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
11/17/09 11:53 p.m.

Gamby, thanks for the interest.... spread the word.

they are trying to keep the fan bois from the bimmerforums of the world out though.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
11/18/09 10:16 a.m.

sweet

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
11/18/09 11:38 a.m.

Thanks

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
11/18/09 4:15 p.m.
wbjones
wbjones Reader
11/18/09 7:14 p.m.

I subscribed to SCC ( and Honda Tuning) for several yrs... finally stopped because I could no longer stand the sophomoric writing style.... with the suggestions that GRM pick up some writers I truly hope they will be very critical in their selections....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/09 10:30 p.m.

there were worse mags for sophmoric writing. I think Tuner might be the worst of the american mags

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/09 10:30 p.m.

there were worse mags for sophmoric writing. I think Tuner might be the worst of the american mags

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
11/18/09 11:24 p.m.

Still, regardless of what you though about SCC in the last years the site is worth checking out.

It's not a GRM competitor but it does strengthen our sport and industry.

Besides the articles on LeMons tech is pure gold!

So, check it out and read some articles... If you're like me, you could have ten GRM style communities and still crave more awesome car world stuff!

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
11/19/09 12:12 a.m.

The articles on LeMons tech are pure gold because Coleman wrote them.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
11/19/09 8:19 a.m.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/09 9:10 a.m.

Eyemon

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
11/19/09 9:41 a.m.

I used to be a big SCC follower... but after a while it became really repetitive. Pictures taken on weird angles in an attempt to be JDM. Cars with cubic hectres of money into them that never get driven...ect.

If I wanted that I could hang out at my local coffee shop listening to kids with Tow hooks and 30 degrees of camber talk about all the racing they never do.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/19/09 9:59 a.m.

I read an SCC once. In the isle at Hastings. Yo, then we put this advertiser's $1000 fart can on our Civic, yo, and got 400 extra HP.

1slowcrx, you wouldn't happen to have some type of fiduciary interest in this new site, would you? Just asking for Full Disclosure's sake.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
11/19/09 10:17 a.m.

ZOMG i can has a brown friend?

dimeadozen
dimeadozen New Reader
11/19/09 12:15 p.m.

Super Street has the worst writing out there in my opinion- lots of "flounder" statements totally irrelevant to the articles that contain them. SS also seems to take a very condescending attitude toward their readers- many article intros contain statements along the lines of "We know you don't have nearly as much money to blow on your car as this guy, so consider yourselves fortunate that we're going to tell you about his car."

Looking back through the scattered issues of SCC I have, they really matured over the years. Many of cars featured in the '99-01 issues featured 60 lbs of added fiberglass crap on the outside and inside, and lots of awful "twist" style chromed wheels, as well as ads for the same. The "engine work" on many of them consisted of NAWWWSS and a polished valve cover.

In their later years, SCC seemed to focus more on tasteful, purpose-built cars. One thing that did always bug me was that when they featured older cars, the bulk of the article seemed to focus on whatever engine swap the car had. Other points would really get skipped over such as "He swapped in stiffer shocks and springs." Okay... which ones?

I stopped buying SCC when I noticed the cover price had gone up, and that it was HALF the thickness of the older issues. Their last issues had WAY too many "Lapday Tuner Shootout" type features.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
11/19/09 1:04 p.m.
griffin729 wrote: The articles on LeMons tech are pure gold because Coleman wrote them.

Agreed. Best writeups I've seen on the LeMons tech, that was actually USEFUL writing...fun, purposeful, informative, not annoying. It was a joy compared to most of the over-punned, vague "made crappy stuff for no money" stuff I'm used to seeing about LeMons/crap-can racing. I read through the site for about half an hour last night and actually liked it.

Bryce

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/09 1:04 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: ZOMG i can has a brown friend?

LoLzErZ

wbjones
wbjones Reader
11/19/09 3:11 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: there were worse mags for sophmoric writing. I think Tuner might be the worst of the american mags

you're probably right .... but I didn't buy those...

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
11/19/09 3:44 p.m.

I had a subscription to Super Street the for about the 1st 2 years it was out. I canceled my subscription when they ran a 7 page tech article on installing a steering wheel, shift knob, and pedal covers.

Early SCC was much better than later, it really did start heading in the direction of Import Tuner & Super Street in the end.

Anyone remember Turbo? Is it still around? My uncle had a subscription when I was ~12 and I always read them, but I couldn't tell you if the tech info was any good.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/19/09 11:45 p.m.

I wouldn't use "Stupor Street" to wipe my dog's butt.

The Franken Miata build is soooo full of awesome my tummy hurts.

johnhammer
johnhammer New Reader
11/20/09 12:11 a.m.

If we're going to talk about sophomoric writing...

I was at SEMA a couple weeks ago & got one of the new issues of DUB that they were passing out. I've never read DUB, but they have a big reputation... As I was headed home on the plane, I leafed through it picking out the type-os and awful grammar. Simple things that would have been caught by spell check were there in print.

If I'm an advertiser, I'd be suspect of their fan base. If that level of writing is acceptable, then those readers would make lousy prospects to buy $2,500 bling rims & Lambo doors!

Then again, maybe not!

speedblind
speedblind Reader
11/20/09 2:15 a.m.
johnhammer wrote: If I'm an advertiser, I'd be suspect of their fan base. If that level of writing is acceptable, then those readers would make lousy prospects to buy $2,500 bling rims & Lambo doors! Then again, maybe not!

Um...you'd be surprised. Spending $10k on a set of rims requires both access to plenty of cash (or credit) and lack of sense of finances in general.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DlGYD9eHsweXAERJCfxI5A4Atv7684a9hy7MripWV3HrM1Np9C8YjknTNeQSHioF