1 2
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/11/19 9:54 p.m.
buzzboy said:

I've read a Mike Kojima article about the followers ejecting themselves with high rpm use.

Surely there is an aftermarket fix for this readily available?  To me that is the beauty of a swap like this.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
9/11/19 10:52 p.m.

They make rocker arm stoppers and I just read about a pretty easy mod to the shims to make them both guide shims on each pair of valves. 

But from personal experience of pushing my car pretty hard for over a decade, I don’t think there is much to worry about.  Especially if you choose to not live at redline

_
_ HalfDork
9/12/19 12:24 a.m.

Yeah, it was redline, and, I think, a certain power level. I want to say north of 400hp.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/12/19 8:16 a.m.

I can live with that. Given the choice, I'll take cylinder head service over bottom end service...

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
9/21/19 8:49 a.m.

Ok, sorry it took me so long to get back to this.

I had both a S14 and S15.  I beat the snot out of both of them for many years but not without issue.  The S14 never really gave me any problems.  The S15 was making 425wp/371tq so it started breaking things.

As mentioned above, the cam followers tried to make an escape, rocker arm stoppers fixed this.  For reference I was reving to 7000rpm on Tomei 256 cams and stock valve springs.

I popped a headgasket at 19lbs of boost via a Forced Performance TD06-20G,  Felpro (not MLS unless you have the block surfaced with the timing cover on) gasket and ARP studs fixed that issue.

The next issue that started to get expensive was transmission.  I stripped 3rd gear rolling into the throttle out of a turn on a nice cool boost friendly evening.  I bought the Mazworx kit to put in a Z32 transmission but ended up selling the car before I installed it.  To my knowledge that car is still going strong today, 8 years later.

Dyno

Mugello Circuit drift qualifiying

Terrible video, terrible sound, terrible driving.  I know, trust me.

Mugello Circuit open track

1-4th gear acceleration

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JvnLw3WaueB0rU1N0lCY3d8JuQhoq2Hbz6p5F8UoQVyqIuqhaUZckzkfAvQm7ErJ