1 2
QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/22 4:45 p.m.

While I love the period wheels that came with the Z I am considering other options.

I have found an economically friendly set of wheels that are the right offset, color and basic design I am looking for. For the same price I can get four 15x8, four 15x9 or two of each. 

I can run 205/50 on the 8" and 225/45 on the 9".

I am currently leaning to the staggered fit with the reality being I may purchase two more of the 15x9s in the future.

What Would GRM Do?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/22 4:50 p.m.

Staggered setups are a PITA, any reason not to run 15x9s on both ends?

(Edit: To answer my own question a bit, the 15x9s would be a serious stretch for anything less than 225 wide, meaning you'd be restricted to some unusual tire sizes. The 15x8s would offer more tire size options...but unless you really have to wring the last morsel of grip or hellaflushness out of the car I recommend against staggered setups).

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/12/22 4:53 p.m.

Clearly the correct answer is to buy four of each.

Are your planned tires directional or will you still be able to swap left/right to even out wear?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/12/22 4:56 p.m.

I would run 15x9 all the way around.  Why would you want less front grip?

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
10/12/22 4:58 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

To match the zero grip situation that the non R compound tires will face in the rear? devil

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
10/12/22 5:07 p.m.

15x8 lets you run 205/50 or 225/45 for future-proofing as much at 15's can be... If not racecar, I'd probably be looking at square 225/45 on 15x8, just because I like the square look better than the stretched look.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/12/22 5:13 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Tramlining can get annoying.

solfly
solfly Dork
10/12/22 8:22 p.m.

I staggered my C1500 and I'm not sure I'd do it again. They're directional too so no rotating.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/12/22 8:43 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

While I love the period wheels that came with the Z I am considering other options.

I have found an economically friendly set of wheels that are the right offset, color and basic design I am looking for. For the same price I can get four 15x8, four 15x9 or two of each. 

I can run 205/50 on the 8" and 225/45 on the 9".

I am currently leaning to the staggered fit with the reality being I may purchase two more of the 15x9s in the future.

What Would GRM Do?

FWIW that's the same size tires/wheels I use in the staggered steup on my 924S. I feel the staggered setup improved handling (in a car that already handles great)....and looks good, to boot. 

Staggered is fine unless you go through tires quickly/lots of miles. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/22 8:47 p.m.

I've run staggered on my 986 since I bought it and not had any issues. Just go for it if that's what you want. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
10/12/22 8:55 p.m.

If that's what you want just because or it looks better, go for it. But I really doubt it's going to be functionally better unless you have the power or weight bias to justify it. Or some really bad rear suspension that hampers rear grip significantly. Really even with a rear weight bias you want quite a bit of front tire if it can be had easily.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
10/12/22 9:05 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

Clearly the correct answer is to buy four of each.

This.

Square setups, 15x8 for street, 15x9 for track.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/12/22 9:38 p.m.
obsolete said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Tramlining with 225s? 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/22 12:19 a.m.

We would need pictures of the car and the wheels to be of any help. smiley

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/22 7:11 a.m.
z31maniac said:
obsolete said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Tramlining with 225s? 

I have had it with 195s.   Sidewall height plays a huge factor, as does suspension geometry.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
10/13/22 8:22 a.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Current negative offset setup on Z with 205/50r15 Hoosier SM7s. It is interesting to drive on a crowned or valleyed road. 

New rear wheel

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
10/13/22 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

VERY little track use in its future. More cruise missile time than anything.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
10/13/22 8:36 a.m.

In reply to dps214 :

If anything the work done on the rear of this car gives it a fairly better chance at traction at launch. It does have a locked rear and manual steering with a V8 sitting under the hood. Steering is heavy.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/13/22 8:47 a.m.

Happy Birthday Quasi. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/13/22 8:48 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
z31maniac said:
obsolete said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Tramlining with 225s? 

I have had it with 195s.   Sidewall height plays a huge factor, as does suspension geometry.

In my experience the #1 factor is geometry. 

How does the offset on these new wheels compare with stock?  Is the scrub radius close?

To exaggerate:  225s on a 9" wheel at factory offset will likely drive a whole lot better than 205s on an 8" wheel with an extra inch of offset.

GameboyRMH
10/13/22 8:53 a.m.

What's the current wheel width and do they have the same offset as the new wheels? Looks like they may be 8" wide at most judging by how those SM7s fit (assuming SM7s aren't "cheater fit," I don't know...). Also looks like you're pushing the limits of what you can fit under your fenders already.

Still can't recommend against going staggered just for the hell of it hard enough. Who wants to have to worry about 2 tire sizes for 1 car and never being able to use a wheel or tire away from its designated axle?

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
10/13/22 11:42 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

So the current wheels are "reverse offset" they are an 8" wheel with what is likely a 3" backside setting. I love the looks. I'm not a big fan of what that extra leverage does while driving. The new wheels are both 0 offset and will sit inboard 1/2 (9) and 1 (8) inch.

This will be a car I drive down Michigan two lane roads, I will tow it to Tennessee and if life treats me right down to Florida for the Challenge again.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
10/13/22 11:44 a.m.

Also, worst case, the 8s can be temp spares devil

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
10/13/22 11:48 a.m.
914Driver said:

Happy Birthday Quasi. 

Thanks brother 

GameboyRMH
10/13/22 12:04 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

So the current wheels are "reverse offset" they are an 8" wheel with what is likely a 3" backside setting. I love the looks. I'm not a big fan of what that extra leverage does while driving. The new wheels are both 0 offset and will sit inboard 1/2 (9) and 1 (8) inch.

This will be a car I drive down Michigan two lane roads, I will tow it to Tennessee and if life treats me right down to Florida for the Challenge again.

In that case I think you'll want to go with the 15x9s to get the same look with the new wheels, the zero offset should fix a lot of handling problems. You'll have to run 245/40R15s or 225/45R15s, you can try to stretch on 205/50R15s in a pinch (those SM7s look wide and should go on without trouble).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h4YyfxtxO2Ffl9zYCfHhRAK2BeizawRnQndlVsRZFcdttJQ4JAnoZjwdZcEojSgZ