Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/24/19 11:30 a.m.

Are there any corrosion issues using stainless bolts in carbon steel door hardware? 

Most of the bolts on my wagon doors are phillips drive flat head machine screws. I want to replace them with hex head stainless in hopes that it will enable me to adjust the doors without having to remove them. 

Rambler decided to make the screws on the door inaccessible with a phillips drive while the door is installed on the car, but I think a short hex key would probably fit. 

I was thinking stainless to help reduce corrosion issues, but it occurs to me that I don't know if the stainless would react to low carbon steel. 

FWIW, I already bought the bolts. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/24/19 11:32 a.m.

Stainless will not react with regular steel. Do note it will be more brittle than mild steel so don’t overtighten it. Stainless should work great in door hardware though. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
4/24/19 12:05 p.m.

Stainless hardware does not corrode, but most of it in my experience galls enough on assembly to be just as seized as the rustiest thing you can find. Use nickle based no seize, and also mind what dculberson said as well, it always seems fragile.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/24/19 3:22 p.m.

Thanks guys. I was fairly sure that was the case but I wasn't certain. 

Anti-seize is a certainty.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zZRbUvfntfDMvd9xEYOgsOkWqhyhzyODIN8n1iEkYuq50u6JHiyglX19kzjffIUi