1 2 3 ... 11
MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
9/3/13 2:08 a.m.
carbon wrote: Why would you ruin the handling and driving experience of this car in order to make it look like it handles.

One might do that because they can afford to the car they want and do as they please with it. It's his car, that's what he likes, and, at the end of the day, it probably still handles more than well enough for his purposes.

jere
jere HalfDork
9/3/13 4:03 a.m.

Sorry I can't come up with any other explanations .

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/3/13 7:43 a.m.

pointless rant is pointless...

Stancworks forums said: I just drove past this big abandoned parking lot. THere was this beautiful GTI that had big steel wheels on it with some kinda ridiculous wide slicks on it. He was driving around cones. Why on earth would someone take such a beautiful car, and keep it waaay up in the air like that, just to drive around cones? Doesnt he realize what that car could be if he just stretched some rubber over some Rotas and added some camber? WTF is wrong with these autocrossers?
mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/3/13 7:54 a.m.

Most people have cars they don't like very much. This guy has a NSX he loves. Is that such a bad thing?

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
9/3/13 7:58 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Most people have cars they don't like very much. This guy has a NSX he loves. Is that such a bad thing?

Yeah, I don't really like my mazda2 anymore...

steved033
steved033 New Reader
9/3/13 8:19 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Exactly...I'm getting to the point where I don't really care what you're doing to your car, just be out doing something to your car. Everyone has their own tastes...

sjd

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/3/13 8:33 a.m.
steved033 wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: I'm getting to the point where I don't really care what you're doing to your car, just be out doing something to your car.

This. We have more in common with the hella flush, donk, or rusted-hood-on-my-vw crowd than we want to admit; NONE of us think of cars as simply transportation, and most of the public does.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
9/3/13 10:11 a.m.

I saw a blue NSX slammed running around 45mph down the right lane of I75 near Knoxville a couple weeks ago. Wonder if it's the same car?

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
9/3/13 11:02 a.m.

Question to the OP: Was the guy young (under 25)? Because if he was, I'm ready to accept any stupidity if he gets in a car. I think you should too.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/3/13 11:13 a.m.
fanfoy wrote: Question to the OP: Was the guy young (under 25)? Because if he was, I'm ready to accept any stupidity if he gets in a car. I think you should too.

You know, i think the whole panic over young people not driving is a little overblown. They WILL drive. They may wait a little longer, but it's not like some great alternative has emerged all of a sudden that lets people NOT drive and still be a part of normal society. MOST people HAVE to drive. The things that are letting young people not drive (which is probably PRIMARILY people giving them rides everywhere) will dry up and go away as they get older. Obviously some urban residents with urban jobs and fair-weather commutes are excepted, but there just arent that many of them compared to the rest of us.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
9/3/13 11:13 a.m.

yeah, that'll handle great!

LOL

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/13 11:15 a.m.

Maybe not but I do like the way it looks.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/3/13 11:16 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: yeah, that'll handle great! LOL

In all likelihood it will.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
9/3/13 11:17 a.m.

<=== swallowing the tiny bit of vomit currently in my mouth.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/3/13 11:18 a.m.

I'd comment on the NSX, but it'd seem pretty hollow and petty considering the fleet of cheap crap i have in the garage.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
9/3/13 11:19 a.m.
Vigo wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: yeah, that'll handle great! LOL
In all likelihood it will.

Only if the pavement is smooth as glass, otherwise it will hop from tiny bump to bump.

Car can't corner if its tires aren't in contact with the road.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/3/13 11:23 a.m.

I've built and driven cars lower than that that handled just fine. It's pretty clear that the owner isn't going for records at Laguna Seca, and it'd be pretty silly to say that it handles like crap. It's likely that it still handles better than 98% of what's on the road on a daily basis.

I'm still torn on this kind of thing. I like LOOKING at it, i think it looks cool as hell (to a point... i hate the whole "let's stretch some 165s on a 10" wheel crap), but this one is pretty tasteful.

On the other hand, it's the sort of thing i'd rather see done on a cruiser than a beautiful sports car. I personally wouldn't do that to an NSX, but you bet your ass if i had an LS400, i'd do something pretty similar.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
9/3/13 11:24 a.m.
Vigo wrote:
fanfoy wrote: Question to the OP: Was the guy young (under 25)? Because if he was, I'm ready to accept any stupidity if he gets in a car. I think you should too.
You know, i think the whole panic over young people not driving is a little overblown. They WILL drive. They may wait a little longer, but it's not like some great alternative has emerged all of a sudden that lets people NOT drive and still be a part of normal society. MOST people HAVE to drive. The things that are letting young people not drive (which is probably PRIMARILY people giving them rides everywhere) will dry up and go away as they get older. Obviously some urban residents with urban jobs and fair-weather commutes are excepted, but there just arent that many of them compared to the rest of us.

Agreed. Will they drive, just later than usual? Yes.

Are they less likely to be car enthusiasts? yes.

That's a pretty NSX.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/3/13 11:37 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: <=== swallowing the tiny bit of vomit currently in my mouth.

Basically, the more a car looks like this, the less I like it:

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
9/3/13 11:50 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Vigo wrote:
Agreed. Will they drive, just later than usual? Yes. Are they less likely to be car enthusiasts? yes. That's a pretty NSX.

Who here has started being a car enthusiast when they were 40? You like cars when you are young. And with so many places being more and more hostile to the car hobby, having less enthusiast is not a good thing.

The point was really driven home to me when I was at the Monterey Historics last month. While the owners of antique cars have always been older, I really noticed that the spectators are also getting older. If I had to guess at the age average of the spectator, I would say it was somewhere between 50 and 60.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but to me it seems like a real future problem.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/3/13 11:50 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I'd comment on the NSX, but it'd seem pretty hollow and petty considering the fleet of cheap crap i have in the garage.

While he's fretting over what brand of wax will bring the best luster, you'll be out driving.

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
9/3/13 12:21 p.m.

I agree that it's not my style, at all, and after having some really terrible-riding cars lately, I can't imagine dealing with this all the time for little benefit, and actually paying to get it to look that way. However, that being said, it's their car and I can give respect to anyone in the car hobby and expressing themselves.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/3/13 12:22 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: I'd comment on the NSX, but it'd seem pretty hollow and petty considering the fleet of cheap crap i have in the garage.
While he's fretting over what brand of wax will bring the best luster, you'll be out driving.

I'd still rather have an NSX.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/13 12:33 p.m.

I don't mind lowered with some camber. I ran my Ti for years with the wheels to the point where the top of the tyre was just below the edge of the wheel well (at the top)

It is the 195s on a 10 inch wide rim so that it looks so stretched it will pop off and kill somebody that has to go

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/3/13 1:24 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

E36 M3, mine is alot lower than yours was.... It'd still lift the inside front tire off the ground in a hard corner.......chassis deflection sucks

1 2 3 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DgE6HVydoV3KtIumuWlWQQezvQiUUWqhZD4actv8tGvtChNLCwpSgNu66BVt7bXB