1 2 3 4 ... 11
chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/3/13 1:53 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I've built and driven cars lower than that that handled just fine. It's pretty clear that the owner isn't going for records at Laguna Seca, and it'd be pretty silly to say that it handles like crap. It's likely that it still handles better than 98% of what's on the road on a daily basis. I'm still torn on this kind of thing. I like LOOKING at it, i think it looks cool as hell (to a point... i hate the whole "let's stretch some 165s on a 10" wheel crap), but this one is pretty tasteful. On the other hand, it's the sort of thing i'd rather see done on a cruiser than a beautiful sports car. I personally wouldn't do that to an NSX, but you bet your ass if i had an LS400, i'd do something pretty similar.

Well said, I'm going to do this with the 300te and I'm looking forward to it. It looks good I will find out how well it drives lol.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/3/13 2:23 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: yeah, that'll handle great! LOL
In all likelihood it will.

...better than a car with Oni-camber, anyway

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/3/13 4:06 p.m.

As with any vehicle modification, I think it boils down to what the owner wants. If someone likes the look despite the fact that it ruins some other feature, that's their choice. I also think about the old craze in Europe where they ran really fat wheels with skinny tires because the law says the tread can't be wider than the fenders.

I lowered my Impala SS for two reasons; 1) it looks awesome and 2) I had originally planned to autocross it. Since the lowering didn't really adversely affect anything else (except for a slightly stiffer ride) I just left it that way. 130k on the clock and I still love it.

I know it sucks. You have no idea how many times I've wanted to beat a ricer over the head with the same plywood spoiler they glued to their civic's trunk. I've never attended a car show in which there wasn't at least one car that just made me shake my head in disbelief.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
9/3/13 4:59 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: It's likely that it still handles better than 98% of what's on the road on a daily basis.

this x1000. same could be said about miatas (etc..) that ride really low. sure its not the pinnacle of handling of that particular car but it probably does out handle a lot of cars with little effort.

that nsx looks real nice like.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/13 5:38 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: Who here has started being a car enthusiast when they were 40? You like cars when you are young. And with so many places being more and more hostile to the car hobby, having less enthusiast is not a good thing. If I had to guess at the age average of the spectator, I would say it was somewhere between 50 and 60. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but to me it seems like a real future problem.

Sweet! That just means the prices will go way down and I can buy a whole fleet of vintage racers.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
9/3/13 5:47 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Vigo wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: yeah, that'll handle great! LOL
In all likelihood it will.
...better than a car with Oni-camber, anyway

All depends upon what your priority is. That thing would last less than a week on our streets, and you'd probably lose at least one wheel on the drive home from the tire shop.

The handling on a billiard table might be great. Trying to herd it down only one lane of a truck-grooved freeway would suck hard.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/3/13 5:49 p.m.

I typically don't make a habit of pointing out how silly and ugly Trophy Trucks are.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/3/13 5:59 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: pointless rant is pointless...
Stancworks forums said: I just drove past this big abandoned parking lot. THere was this beautiful GTI that had big steel wheels on it with some kinda ridiculous wide slicks on it. He was driving around cones. Why on earth would someone take such a beautiful car, and keep it waaay up in the air like that, just to drive around cones? Doesnt he realize what that car could be if he just stretched some rubber over some Rotas and added some camber? WTF is wrong with these autocrossers?

A stancewerks yo would never say to put Rotas on a car. More like "stretched some rubber over some [insert wheel that costs as much as the POS car it's on]. Hellaflush/stance is all about looks and showing off. Rotas are perfectly functional on the track or autocross course but are anathema to people who want to show off and therefore buy Volks or Prodrives or whatever....

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/3/13 6:04 p.m.

Also I had to give my neighbor a ride up to the local tire shop to pick up his car (in the WRX). He asked my why the "ride was so rough" (It has 330# springs front and rear, so is stiffer than stock but by no means a race suspension). I guarantee that he thought I "ruined the car" by doing it.

That said, I don't like "stanced" or "hellaflush" cars as a general rule. But as long as it's someone else spending their money on it and they aren't driving like an asshat around me, I really don't care what they do any more than I care about my (same) neighbor saying that his DD Versa is a "sporty car."

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
9/3/13 6:36 p.m.
irish44j wrote: That said, I don't like "stanced" or "hellaflush" cars as a general rule. But as long as it's someone else spending their money on it and they aren't driving like an asshat around me, I really don't care what they do any more than I care about my (same) neighbor saying that his DD Versa is a "sporty car."

This. I really hate the stretched tires thing. It's a fad. I'm not really into the fads of car culture. But it's their money. As long as they aren't driving like shiny happy people, I don't care. But I will make fun of it. Sorry.

And I think the NSX looks decent but I hate those TSW wheels. We have put them on a few cars and I just don't like the spokes coming to the edge of the lip while having a huge dish. Just looks bad as far as wheels go IMO. But I am a split spoke/mesh wheel kinda guy.

I really think air bagged classic cars are cool. However, I don't think modern cars are that interesting slammed to the ground. D'ffrent strokes.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
9/3/13 7:06 p.m.

Anything from a Latino-styled lowrider '64 Impala to a lifted 4x4 dually might not improve the usability of a vehicle. Sometimes that's not the point to the owner.

Just because YOU don't like the lowered NSX (or think it's anti-functional, has nothing to do with what the owner of the car wanted. Suck it up - all sorts of people do all sorts of things because they like it,

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/3/13 7:13 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I'd still rather have an NSX.

Personally, I dunno. Wheelbase is too long to be a fun rallycross car, I think. At least, it looks really long.

Now, I do keep having thoughts about one of those rolling-shell bad-interior FDs, but those aren't emissions exempt yet here so I couldn't (easily/lazily) do my bridge port shenanigans, but a turbo four of some species might be fun...

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/3/13 7:51 p.m.

Funny how this forum is for all intents and purposes in many ways impractical, our hobby is impractical and to begin criticizing a stanced NSX as impractical is absurd and just plain communist.

Not what I would do to an NSX but rock on and go America.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/3/13 8:17 p.m.
jdbuilder wrote: Funny how this forum is for all intents and purposes is in many ways impractical, our hobby is impractical and to begin criticizing a stanced NSX as impractical is absurd and just plain communist. Not what I would do to an NSX but rock on and go America.

When Hurricane Sandy's tail end came up here and knocked down a bunch of trees, I was plowing right over fat branches. Skidplates and suspension travel, as the kids say, FTW.

Curbs also stop becoming things to be afraid of, and are more like things to bounce over in corners. And potholes? Ha!

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/13 8:43 p.m.

Where is all this tolerance and love when we are talking about new cars?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
9/3/13 8:47 p.m.

Here are the questions I ask:

Did you make it unsafe to the people around you or yourself? (Overly-stretched tires, badly ruining handling.)
Did you go out of your way to make your vehicle obnoxious in a way that regular people can not ignore? (Overly bright headlights, modern clean diesel modified to belch maximum smoke, too-loud exhaust, too-loud stereo.)
Did you actually make the car worse for what you are supposedly trying to use it for? ("I lowered my car for handling yo! Never mind that the back end bounces everywhere because the shocks are blown.")

If you have not done one of those things, I do not care. Final exception being if you poorly modified the car and then expect it to fetch equal price to a clean example, or if you are under the worse delusion that you have somehow made your car more valuable. (Yeah, I spent a while trying to find a nice S2000.)

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/3/13 8:59 p.m.

That NSX looks like sex. Raise it a few inches and loose the stretched rubber and..... boing

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
9/3/13 9:14 p.m.

That NSX wouldn't last five minutes on our roads. It's impractical and useless.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/3/13 9:38 p.m.

In reply to Knurled: How mad max of you! Kick ass

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
9/3/13 10:02 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: Here are the questions I ask: Did you make it unsafe to the people around you or yourself? (Overly-stretched tires, badly ruining handling.)

I don't think anyone here has any proof that the handling of that car is ruined. I'm no expert on NSX suspensions, but it wouldn't surprise me to see that car (with a stock motor) move faster around a road course than a stock NSX.

As far as handling on local streets... who cares? Driven like a sane person, that car should never run the risk of any modification-induced problems other than the occasional scrape or maybe a bent wheel. Safe speeds on local roads are probably <50% of what that car is capable of even in its less-than-ideal handling configuration.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/3/13 10:29 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Beer Baron wrote: Here are the questions I ask: Did you make it unsafe to the people around you or yourself? (Overly-stretched tires, badly ruining handling.)
I don't think anyone here has any proof that the handling of that car is ruined. I'm no expert on NSX suspensions, but it wouldn't surprise me to see that car (with a stock motor) move faster around a road course than a stock NSX. As far as handling on local streets... who cares? Driven like a sane person, that car should never run the risk of any modification-induced problems other than the occasional scrape or maybe a bent wheel. Safe speeds on local roads are probably <50% of what that car is capable of even in its less-than-ideal handling configuration.

yeah, though I don't really like that car or look, I'd say with the stretched tires it probably will outhandle 95% of all the cars on the road. I'll worry far more about the soccer moms in their SUVs with bald tires in the rain than I will about an NSX with stretched tires.

Sal_the_man
Sal_the_man New Reader
9/3/13 11:51 p.m.

nice article on stance:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/2612/Hella-Fail.aspx

Not a fan of this movement either. However I am a fan of lowered cars for performance purposes :)

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
9/4/13 12:02 a.m.
irish44j wrote: yeah, though I don't really like that car or look, I'd say with the stretched tires it probably will outhandle 95% of all the cars on the road. I'll worry far more about the soccer moms in their SUVs with bald tires in the rain than I will about an NSX with stretched tires.

I agree. That is kind-of my point. This car isn't my style, but... whatever. The owner obviously did not modify it for performance. If the owner shows off this car and tries to tell me how badass it handles, I'll roll my eyes and bet him $100 against my stock S2000 on an auto-x course. Since that will never happen...

The only critique on here worth a darn is about how he could have chosen more aesthetically pleasing wheels and why those other wheels would have been better.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
9/4/13 8:22 a.m.
irish44j wrote: yeah, though I don't really like that car or look, I'd say with the stretched tires it probably will outhandle 95% of all the cars on the road. I'll worry far more about the soccer moms in their SUVs with bald tires in the rain than I will about an NSX with stretched tires.

Yeah, it's probably still safer on ANY public road than a worn out '95 Corolla, and there are thousands of those running around. Hell, half this forum is full of beaters that are less safe than this NSX, and we still drive them...

I'm getting kind of tired of the "the only modifications that are valid are ones that increase the performance of the car," mentality. And the elitist bullE36 M3 of the sports car crowd, even if they are too poor to afford anything but beaters...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/13 8:34 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:
I don't think anyone here has any proof that the handling of that car is ruined. I'm no expert on NSX suspensions, but it wouldn't surprise me to see that car (with a stock motor) move faster around a road course than a stock NSX. As far as handling on local streets... who cares? Driven like a sane person, that car should never run the risk of any modification-induced problems other than the occasional scrape or maybe a bent wheel. Safe speeds on local roads are probably <50% of what that car is capable of even in its less-than-ideal handling configuration.
yeah, though I don't really like that car or look, I'd say with the stretched tires it probably will outhandle 95% of all the cars on the road. I'll worry far more about the soccer moms in their SUVs with bald tires in the rain than I will about an NSX with stretched tires.

when I replaced the tyres on my rover.. what came off of the truck scared me. They were original equipment with 70,000 miles with almost no tread and dryrotted

1 2 3 4 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5bfX9llNwpKHeuEJ8twFIzLePBKW2yVDptwhBX0oZgpg5KqADQKkQbKig7mOrwMs