1 ... 11 12 13 14
vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/15/15 4:22 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

I will lower it, looking for V8 possibilities, upgrade trans, and tow my Gti with it regardless of the bickering over the rules.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/15/15 5:09 p.m.

if one were to make their vehicle fall under the OK line on the height to track width chart would it not be allowed at an SCCA event "because minivan" even if OK per their static rollover thing chart?

i'm just asking, mostly because the 'vous is a 3 inch drop and box flares away from falling in the OK side of the graph.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
11/15/15 6:10 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: In reply to G_Body_Man: I will lower it, looking for V8 possibilities, upgrade trans, and tow my Gti with it regardless of the bickering over the rules.

There are already mounts for an SBC, and there's (barely) enough space to stack mounts for an LSx. It's a 4L60-E (IIRC), so a 4L65, 4L80 or 4L85 should bolt right in. If you are looking to run boost, there's enough bay clearance to do low-mounts. Belltech makes lowering systems for them. A bit pricey, but worth it.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/15/15 6:34 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote:
vwcorvette wrote: In reply to G_Body_Man: I will lower it, looking for V8 possibilities, upgrade trans, and tow my Gti with it regardless of the bickering over the rules.
There are already mounts for an SBC, and there's (barely) enough space to stack mounts for an LSx. It's a 4L60-E (IIRC), so a 4L65, 4L80 or 4L85 should bolt right in. If you are looking to run boost, there's enough bay clearance to do low-mounts. Belltech makes lowering systems for them. A bit pricey, but worth it.

i think i just scrapped a set of astro v8 mounts, i kept one set and i would let a grm'er have them cheap. i've done it all with astros. with my old 96 i pretty much rebuilt the 4.3 while leaving the block on the mounts. then it dropped the gear off the cam(forgot to bend the lock tabs - doh). i did the whole stack astro v8 swap and ls to sbc swap mount plates thing, i might be the first person to try that, and put a 5.3 in it. then i wanted the 5.3 for impala so i put in a 350/700r4/np208 and 3/4 ton axles. should have kept that one but needed cash quick for a daily so i turned it in for scrap.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
11/15/15 6:45 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

PM me about those mounts. I'm highly interested.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/15/15 7:50 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Interested in mounts as well. Found scale drawings online to make my own too.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
11/15/15 8:21 p.m.

I'll let vwcorvette have first dibs on the mounts. I'm still debating between an LS swap and a single Turbo.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/15/15 8:24 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: I'll let vwcorvette have first dibs on the mounts. I'm still debating between an LS swap and a single Turbo.

Nobody said you can't do both.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
11/15/15 8:47 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: I'll let vwcorvette have first dibs on the mounts. I'm still debating between an LS swap and a single Turbo.
Nobody said you can't do both.

My bank account says so

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
11/18/15 8:37 a.m.

I will be contacting a couple of local SCCA clubs and see what the ruling is for minivans and will post my findings in this thread soon.

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
11/18/15 8:59 a.m.

In reply to n8:

And that is what we are doing.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
11/18/15 9:54 a.m.
Rick Goolsby wrote: I will be contacting a couple of local SCCA clubs and see what the ruling is for minivans and will post my findings in this thread soon.

Great, thanks for looking into this Rick.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/15 9:59 a.m.

If we can't race vans at the challenge, we can always host an exclusive mini-van ice racing event up in wisconsin...

you FL guys might need to pick up a winter coat though.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
11/19/15 11:32 a.m.

Anyone need a convertible Toyota Previa with flames??

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/5322760614.html

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/19/15 11:39 a.m.
Devilsolsi wrote: Anyone need a convertible Toyota Previa with flames?? http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/5322760614.html

It's glorious!
Asking $100

The ad references a video which sounds like a joke but the video is real!
Even better, the video is posted under the name of SmellyOldFatGuy

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hDDj-AIe1Mw

I am going to write him and personally invite him to The Challenge. I suspect he is selling it because he now does not know what to do with it. What he should do is bring it to The Challenge.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/19/15 11:56 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Lol-he would fit right in.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
11/19/15 12:00 p.m.

The Sponge Bob lamp really gives him credibility!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
11/19/15 12:51 p.m.
Devilsolsi wrote: Anyone need a convertible Toyota Previa with flames?? http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/5322760614.html

If anybody anywhere near me (Eastern PA) buys this and stores it over the winter, I volunteer a large amount of my time, tools, craigslist parts skillz, a set of cheap coilovers, garage space, and more to help- it's just that I need to get this Rally Car going before I can challenge van with you.

Anybody in?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/15 2:55 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote:
If anybody anywhere near me (Eastern PA) buys this and stores it over the winter, I volunteer a large amount of my time, tools, craigslist parts skillz, a set of cheap coilovers, garage space, and more to help- it's just that I need to get this Rally Car going before I can challenge van with you. Anybody in?

you drive a hard bargain..

SgtCraig
SgtCraig New Reader
11/26/15 7:38 a.m.

Im game for this if we can autox.Im going to look at a 89 Caravan 2.5 turbo auto this weekend for $400.Was originally going to use my current 89 5spd but its way too nice to remove interior.It just went 13.9 a few weeks ago using alot of stock shelby dodge stuff:)

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/26/15 9:17 a.m.

I keep thinking to 60s vans:

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
11/26/15 9:48 a.m.
SgtCraig wrote: Im game for this if we can autox.Im going to look at a 89 Caravan 2.5 turbo auto this weekend for $400.Was originally going to use my current 89 5spd but its way too nice to remove interior.It just went 13.9 a few weeks ago using alot of stock shelby dodge stuff:)

That would be awesome... we are still waiting on an autocross ruling.

In other news I pulled the engine out of the white odyssey...

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/29/15 7:49 a.m.

I feel like the wait is killin this project ... we're losing momentum for the van class. . In my way of thinking (which is often wrong and short sighted) it shouldn't take but a couple phone calls to sort this out. I hope we get an answer from the powers that be soon so guys can take the plunge and join in, or we can move on to other projects. I've been waiting for weeks now to start hacking up this barge. If someone reading this has some pull, get a message out that were dying on the vine here!

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
11/29/15 8:08 a.m.

I am forging ahead, I already pulled the engine from the white van. I hope to pull the cl engine this week.

I figure we will be fine, they have let minivans run in the past, and a jeep cherokee won the autocross before. Neither were legal per scca rules yet they were both successful.

SgtCraig
SgtCraig New Reader
11/29/15 1:22 p.m.

Well I went and looked the 89.Its rusty but might be ok enough to put together.It started right up and didnt make any noise.Best part is hell take $250 for it.Alot of good parts to sell I wont need.So either way Im going to pick it up.Hell i just want it for the power seat to ad to my current 89!

1 ... 11 12 13 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GhM52zdOXWqIXWXR1SZHYllmY2VlZ2l1931EN7hk3NhphwQ1bg1pGQGehdybMUtD