1 ... 10 11 12 13 14
Maniac0301
Maniac0301 HalfDork
6/2/20 2:38 p.m.

Its pretty telling that Antifa as a whole is demonized because a E36 M3 talking conservative reporter get hit in the head with a lock 4 years ago but when unarmed black people are killed weekly its just a few bad apples.   Your propaganda is showing you might wanna tuck it in.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/20 2:40 p.m.

Much respect.  This position took guts.  I'm proud of you guys, and to be a member of your GRM family.

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
6/2/20 2:45 p.m.

thank you guys! your magazine is excellent and i look forward to every issue. i'm glad to know that you took a stand and are on the good side of this. i know people are complaining about getting politics mixed up with cars, but this isn't even about politics. it's about people. nowhere did they even mention democrats, republicans, any politicians, or even voting...just that change is needed and we need to better as a society. i agree 100%. and unless you run your own charity, none of them are going to align perfectly with your beliefs. we all do what we can (i hope) and i wish everyone was trying to make things better. 

anyway, i know i don't post much so nobody knows who i am, but i'll be resubscribing for sure! thanks again!!

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/2/20 2:48 p.m.

GRM, thank you.

It was said earlier, but I think perfect is the enemy of good enough. Doing something, even if wasn't the absolutely perfect thing that everyone agreed with, is better than standing by doing nothing. Baby steps.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
6/2/20 2:50 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to STM317 :

Ask someone who's black what was in their talk. Compare and contrast. 

See also: What "talk" does a senior boy get before prom and how is it different from the "talk" a senior girl gets?

Possibly. I was hoping that the poster I quoted might elaborate on the details of "the Talk" that his buddy gave. Maybe a non-white member here could chime in about any talks they received or might give their kids. That way we could have a clear, public compare/contrast

Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) said:
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:
Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) said:

GRM goes to a lot of trouble to keep politics off the board.  Then flounders the entire organization with a hate group named SPLC. 

•    Ignorant
  •    Stupid
  •    Really believes in the evil promoted by SPLC and desires to support it

Which is it?

Don't be a jerk. Discussion is one thing but calling them "ignorant, stupid, or evil" is beyond the pale and not reasonable discussion. You're letting your reactionary show.

Which are you?

Oooooh, sick burn!

So who wants to take bets on how many of the first-time posters in this thread are actually subscribers vs. bad actors on behalf of an adversary?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/2/20 3:14 p.m.
penultimeta said:

Archbishop Desmond Tutu said "Those who stay neutral in situations of injustice have chosen the side of the oppressor" and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said that "There comes a time when silence is betrayal". Thank you GRM staff for speaking out and choosing the side of humanity.  

I heard it said that it's either racist, or anti-racist. 

And BTW, addressing a different post, some of us boomers (and our parents before us) have been fighting this fight for a long time. 

Jerry From LA said:

All lives matter , 

They do.  However, this week is all about the black ones because that needs the attention.  Just because people yell "Save the whales!" this week  doesn't mean "berkeley the dolphins!"

Yeah, but just wait til next week.  Man I berkeleying *hate* dolphins!

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/2/20 3:16 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

You mean Russkies? Man, we're in trouble if they're coming for the GRM forums. They can reach tens of people, maybe even dozens!

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/2/20 3:17 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Jerry From LA said:

All lives matter , 

They do.  However, this week is all about the black ones because that needs the attention.  Just because people yell "Save the whales!" this week  doesn't mean "berkeley the dolphins!"

Yeah, but just wait til next week.  Man I berkeleying *hate* dolphins!

Tastes like chicken!

CrackersBoy
CrackersBoy New Reader
6/2/20 3:18 p.m.

As AnthonyGS hinted at...  

This wasn't about race.  George Floyd was the result of qualified immunity and public sector unions.

GRM should donate their July Facebook Marketing budget to... the Libertarian Party?

CB

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/2/20 3:19 p.m.
STM317 said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to STM317 :

Ask someone who's black what was in their talk. Compare and contrast. 

See also: What "talk" does a senior boy get before prom and how is it different from the "talk" a senior girl gets?

Possibly. I was hoping that the poster I quoted might elaborate on the details of "the Talk" that his buddy gave. Maybe a non-white member here could chime in about any talks they received or might give their kids. That way we could have a clear, public compare/contrast

I'm about as white as they come and my mother gave me a similar talk but that's because she was a federal agent and knew I was going to accrue a sizable number of driving infractions. So, as to lessen the likelihood of being skewered by the courts she advised me to always be calm, slow moving and respectful. I don't think for a second she though I was going to receive any physical/emotional/psychological harm.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/2/20 3:21 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

So who wants to take bets on how many of the first-time posters in this thread are actually subscribers vs. bad actors on behalf of an adversary?

I suspect almost all of them are long-time subscribers/forum users that created a new account, so they could voice their dissent without it being tied to the persona we "know."

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
6/2/20 3:25 p.m.
LarsBrunkhorst said:

While I don't post much I have been a dedicated reader of the site for the last couple years, this was the last thing I expected to see on a site that has done a great job of staying on topic over the last couple years.

Being younger than most on this board probably gives me a different perspective but there were three things I felt reading all of these replies;

1. Tom, Margie and more people than I would have guessed are not only looking forward to a brighter future, but also doing something about it, and as a younger individual that brings me great joy. Unfortunately no good deed goes unpunished, and people will find issue with anything.

2. Boomers gonna boom.

3. Some of the veiled language and implied ideas being put forth by some posters have no place at ANY car race/event/show/gathering etc. I can tell you that unless the average age is above 50 you will never hear anything of the sort. (also see #2)

Maybe I'm painting with a broad stroke but what do I know? I'll be in the corner enjoying my tide pod smoothie...

P.S. You gained a subscriber for life!

Good to know your hate is limited to just boomers, or maybe just a couple other groups roo.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/2/20 3:25 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I suspect almost all of them are long-time subscribers/forum users that created a new account, so they could voice their dissent without it being tied to the persona we "know."

That seems likely.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 HalfDork
6/2/20 3:27 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

It was a while ago and I fear I may not do it justice or even overcorrect the other way.  I would prefer someone with the actual generational familial experience expose you to it..   I did have a similar talk about law enforcement to the one you describe growing up, I even reference it in my story.  The talk that happens amongst black families came from such a different place that it shook me.   Like I said I didn't believe him at first it was so anathema to the way I saw my country.   It took a long time and many other people with similar stories for me to realize the truth of their experience.  

Recently on Facebook a fairly well known rally instructor relayed a story about his arrival to America.   He mentioned that one of the things that struck him was just the outright racism he saw towards minorities.   This is someone who had the advantage of coming in without the decades of normalization that white people in the US don't even notice.  He came in not looking for it but found it anyway.  There are racial issues that are extremely hard to see if you grew up around them.  

steronz
steronz Reader
6/2/20 3:48 p.m.
RALLYRS said:

I also  posted some liberal links calling out Antifa too,because I knew exactly what your response would be. But of course,crickets.. concerning Vox and R.S.

Antifa scumbags,just like like neo Nazis and racists on the other side-don't get a pass to physically attack people just for disagreeing with them.

Eff Antifa and anyone who supports them-directly or indirectly.

Of course, the problem with Antifa, as awful and scary as you make them sound, is this -- who do I go to to demand that they change their tactics?  Where do I go to find a list of their members?  Their weekly/monthly/annual publications?  Where do they hold their annual meetings where they discuss their official platform?  What support do they have from any mainstream political parties?  What candidates have run under an Antifa banner?

Antifa barely exists.  For all I know it's 20 people who have shown up at a few protests and hit somebody with a rock once.  I could print out all of the reporting that conservative media has done on Antifa, stack it up, and it would probably be taller than if I took all the self-professed Antifa members and stood them on top of each other.

Antifa is a boogeyman.  They exist more in the fears and the concerns of conservatives than they do in actual life.  On the other hand, white nationalists have organizations, with elected leaders.  They have publications, websites, and organization.  They have politicians who run for office as self-avowed white nationalists.  A lot of times two people can get together and agree -- Antifa is bad, and white nationalists are bad.  But then go their separate ways and lose sleep over differnet ones.  Why is that?  Why lose sleep over Antifa when white nationalists seem to be a much bigger problem?

Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

You mean Russkies? Man, we're in trouble if they're coming for the GRM forums. They can reach tens of people, maybe even dozens!

Look at how many spammer accounts continually pop up here. All it takes is an automated search for "George Floyd" to find this thread & let the AI do the trolling. It's so prevalent on social media there's no reason they wouldn't target an active group like this one. 

chada75
chada75 Reader
6/2/20 3:57 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Don't give the Media any ideas. Dolphins are too nice to be portray as Boogeymen.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/2/20 3:57 p.m.
Maniac0301 said:

In reply to STM317 :

It was a while ago and I fear I may not do it justice or even overcorrect the other way.  I would prefer someone with the actual generational familial experience expose you to it..   I did have a similar talk about law enforcement to the one you describe growing up, I even reference it in my story.  The talk that happens amongst black families came from such a different place that it shook me.   Like I said I didn't believe him at first it was so anathema to the way I saw my country.   It took a long time and many other people with similar stories for me to realize the truth of their experience.  

Recently on Facebook a fairly well known rally instructor relayed a story about his arrival to America.   He mentioned that one of the things that struck him was just the outright racism he saw towards minorities.   This is someone who had the advantage of coming in without the decades of normalization that white people in the US don't even notice.  He came in not looking for it but found it anyway.  There are racial issues that are extremely hard to see if you grew up around them.  

Yeah our talks have a little extra on them add in personal experiences and stories. And boy do I have some stories to tell! 

My roommate is a black man from the island, he came here in his early 20's and was shocked at the racism he seen upon arrival. He was in college in London before he moved to America for work. He isn't a stranger to racism at all but racism hits differently here in The Land of Freedom and Equal Opportunity. 

jackwagon
jackwagon New Reader
6/2/20 3:59 p.m.

Hi. I'm sometimes politically uninformed and had never even heard of the SLPC until today. So I learned something today. Thank you. Many of you have strong convictions and I solute you for that.

As for me, I am aware I have little constructive input to offer (as my username would suggest), so I'd like to quote the great Walter Eckland:

"Several years ago, I made peace with the World. Now, if the World isn't bright enough to make peace with itself, it's just going to have to settle things without me."

Now who wants to come check out all my broken cars?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
6/2/20 4:00 p.m.

I got off this website at just the right time. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/20 4:11 p.m.
Trackmouse said:

I got off this website at just the right time. 

You're obviously still here.  

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/2/20 4:25 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I think so too. Cowards.

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
RvonRHuPM9UckNgsHEzR0fXOtHFMmWTKIHa60v2hIOa1hwzajakq4mdjO8bSeinp