1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/12 5:39 p.m.

The "First five lottery cars" thread has grown out of control, and I don't really have a "Lottery Car" anyway. But if I were to suddenly come into substantial good fortune, I would get myself a Stearman PT-17.

I've loved the crap out these since I was about five years old. My father and I would ride our bicycles to a little grass airstrip a few miles from our house, and, occasionally, I would get a glimpse of the "yellow double winger". I was an adult when I finally figured out what it was. It was probably purchased for hundreds and is now worth six figures.

Oddly enough, I'm not a pilot and I no longer even enjoy flying, but I still need to own one of them. Mine will be all yellow, like the one that I'd look for on my bike rides.

I still own the bike...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/12 5:42 p.m.

nice choice. If you are going to fly slow.. might as well fly in style

Woody
2/6/12 6:07 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: nice choice. If you are going to fly slow.. might as well fly in style

Yup.

Bonus: Plenty of lift.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork

That's a cool plane.

My lotto "thing" wouldn't really be a car either. I'd probably get me a nice fast DD, probably a CTS-V, but the Abomination would be a terror when I was done with it.

My "thing" would be something like this:

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork

I would love an old biplane...sadly, even a slow single wing like a piper cub or a Texas parasol is beyond my means. If money was no object I would want a replica of a WWI albatros

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork

I like the Waco, but to each his own. I will own a biplane- you can get a "Acroduster II" two seat for around $30k.

byron12
byron12 Reader
2/6/12 7:08 p.m.

The piper cub is actually my thing. i would also get a beechcraft bonanza for distance.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/6/12 8:55 p.m.

Flew to Nassau from Ft. Lauderdale in a Beech Bonanza. Nice flying plane, very pretty, but dayum, it's small inside! Rubbed shoulders with the pilot the whole way.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
2/6/12 9:17 p.m.

It's silly, but I want one.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
2/6/12 9:39 p.m.

I'll see your Stearman & raise you a Beech Stagger-wing. Who said stable and easy to fly needs to be slow.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_Model_17_Staggerwing

Will
Will Dork
2/6/12 9:41 p.m.

Biplanes? Sure. Make mine a Beechcraft Staggerwing, please.

Edit: Damn!

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
2/6/12 10:54 p.m.

mine would be something like this, if i were to come across a "never have to work another day" amount of money:

but probably more realistic would be a carbon cub from cubcrafters:

mad_machine
2/6/12 11:43 p.m.

it's a shame that Cub picture is wrong. Due to the weight distribution of the cub.. a lone pilot flies from the backseat.

I took an hour long flight in a biplane when down in the outerbanks once... was great fun

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
2/7/12 1:55 a.m.

Fun fact: you cannot pull the wings off a stock engined PT-17, even in a full power dive.

If it's Bipes, Pitts or nothing.

Woody
2/7/12 5:38 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: I'll see your Stearman & raise you a Beech Stagger-wing. Who said stable and easy to fly needs to be slow. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_Model_17_Staggerwing

I won't deny that there may be better options out there for your biplane dollar, but a yellow Stearman is the one that I want.

trucke
trucke New Reader
2/7/12 5:46 a.m.

Great pictures on this thread. It's cool to know there are some 'real' pilots out there. Everyone knows 'Real pilots fly tail draggers'. Flying is expensive, unfortunately I had to stop years ago. I have my ticket and did all my primary in Cubs (J3 and L4).

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/7/12 5:48 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: I'll see your Stearman & raise you a Beech Stagger-wing. Who said stable and easy to fly needs to be slow. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_Model_17_Staggerwing

Faster biplane, you say? I think you need the Sorceress http://www.flickr.com/photos/angad84/4726416279/

I'll stick to my Snoopy vs. Red Baron fantasy.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
2/7/12 9:01 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: it's a shame that Cub picture is wrong. Due to the weight distribution of the cub.. a lone pilot flies from the backseat. I took an hour long flight in a biplane when down in the outerbanks once... was great fun

Looking at photos of bushpilots in STOL competition, several seem to be in the the front seat. Maybe in that situation, vision trumps CG.

mad_machine
2/7/12 9:10 a.m.

If it has to be yellow (an awesome colour for a plane, btw) it would have to be a DHC-2 Beaver for me. As a plus, you can fit the taildragger with floats and go to the beach.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
2/7/12 9:18 a.m.

My fishing trip in a Beaver was awesome. I never new you could put that big of an engine in a tin can before.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
2/7/12 9:31 a.m.

The pilot of the airplane of the company my father worked for restored an old Stearman back in the late 1960s. I think it had a 450hp P&W engine. I never got to fly in it but it was a beauty.

I think my lottery plane would be a Fieseler Storch.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
2/7/12 9:40 a.m.

Stearman PT-17 is on the list for my brother and me. Stephen Coonts wrote a book about his Stearman, The Cannibal Queen. He flew it to the 48 continental states. My dad had a Beechcraft Staggerwing D-17. It is the first airplane that I remember riding in. It was red with the black Beechcraft bird on the fuselage. I will try to find a picture.

mad_machine
2/7/12 10:09 a.m.
RossD wrote: My fishing trip in a Beaver was awesome. I never new you could put that big of an engine in a tin can before.

There is also the version with the turboprop.. but I prefer the big old radial for looks and sound.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
2/7/12 10:34 a.m.

I always thought with a modern tail, the staggerwing would look current.

Joey

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
2/7/12 10:34 a.m.

Also, I think with unlimited money I would buy a PBY Catalina. They are so pretty.

Joey

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m6SRdOLxeCibEdNvaZw9BDUqfL5HPEVfabXAIQAq6GLsPPXD5bSRozO45imouDjU