Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
10/30/14 6:43 a.m.

So weekend before last I replaced the worn out steering wheel that looked like a gerbil nibbled on it for 26 years. Other than that the interior is almost new. (Replaced the shift knob anyway because I liked it in my old MR2)

I knew the dish depth might be an issue, it looked ok on the shelf at Pep Boys. It cleared the top of the dash, and although a tight fit it cleared both stalks on the column. Well last night was the first time driving in the dark and I realized I had pushed the turn signal stalk to high beams. When I pulled it back to normal, I can barely get my baby finger to clear!

I've already trashed the box it came in, and I really like the grey/black with the two-tone grey/silver car. Wondering my options: replace wheel? Spacer of some sort? Quick-disconnect would that add clearance? Modify the two stalks? (Not opposed to that)

Any help? Especially MR2 owners that have ideas to modify the turn signal stalks.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/30/14 6:54 a.m.

Grant makes a spacer, it is like having a second adapter stacked on the other. I had that on my 88 MR2 SC.

The double adapter makes the wheel a bit too close to the driver but it is much better that without.
Actually, the "too close" wheel does free up some knee room and improves egress.

Leafy
Leafy Reader
10/30/14 7:30 a.m.

Ewww its a 5 bolt grant wheel. Good luck finding a quick release for that that isnt some E36 M3ty spline or hex thing. No one makes a dimple ball style QR for that bolt pattern that I know of. Just get the spacer.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
10/30/14 8:02 a.m.

In reply to Leafy:

Yeah, I had a generic Grant chrome 3 spoke wheel (super cheap) in the rallycross MR2 that was much easier to install, even for this first-timer. And the dish was deeper so it fit much better without changing anything.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/30/14 8:21 a.m.

I have a quick release for my 924. It bolts to the Grant hub using a slim adapter to go from the 6-bolt Momo pattern to the Grant. Wheel is Momo pattern. If i want to use a Grant style wheel id add another adapter. The adapters aren't very expensive or even hard to make (flat chunk of aluminum about 1/4" thick, one of the 6-bolt holes lines up with the 5-bolt, mark drill and tap) and the quick release is about an inch thick, though there are thicker ones available.

Of course there are simple spacers available for the 5-bolt wheels from 1/2 to 3" and they can be stacked to some extent. Check Amazon and eBay and you should find plenty.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/30/14 8:32 a.m.

I had the same issue in my MR2 when I bought a cheapo adapter. The Momo adapters are deeper than the chinabro ones. I'd hit up ebay. I'm sure there's a spacer you can put on top of the adapter.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
10/30/14 9:28 a.m.

I just need about an extra inch.

evildky
evildky Dork
10/30/14 11:04 a.m.

The first steering wheel I got the the Mach 1.5 was flat and rubbed the signals, I had to buy a different wheel that had more depth to clear the stalks, I still went with less than the stock wheel trying to give me a little more room for my arms to move. you simply bought eh wrong wheel, now you know how much depth you need.

Wanderer
Wanderer New Reader
10/30/14 3:54 p.m.

Grant Steering Wheel Spacers

They make thin spacers you can use.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
11/2/14 8:44 a.m.

In reply to Wanderer:

Quick question: I had the local Autozone order in a 4000 adapter. But looking online it looks like the 4003 might be the right one. Although the 4000 looks like it has the 5 bolt as well as the 3 bolt.

4003 4000

Does it matter which one?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
11/2/14 9:26 a.m.
Wanderer wrote: Grant Steering Wheel Spacers They make thin spacers you can use.

Looking at this link the following seems to be the case:

4000 Black 2"
4001 Black 1"
4002 Aluminum 1"
4003 Aluminum 2"

It has been years but I think the adaptor I had was a 2". I think I would have preferred 1". Other than that, pick a color.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
11/2/14 12:32 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I was just concerned of 3 bolt vs 5 bolt. If it's size and color difference only I'll stick with the 4000.

evildky
evildky Dork
11/3/14 12:30 p.m.

I would rather have the steering wheel with the proper amount of dish than to add a spacer, maybe it's just me. I feel the same way about the wheels. Spacers just seem like a bandaid.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/14 1:16 p.m.

I bought an adapter for my MR2, but never fitted an aftermarket wheel. The adapter is sitting in a drawer in the garage. Let me take a photo of it and if it looks like it will help, it's yours for the cost of a stamp.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/3/14 1:16 p.m.
Jerry wrote: In reply to JohnRW1621: I was just concerned of 3 bolt vs 5 bolt. If it's size and color difference only I'll stick with the 4000.

4000 replaces the existing adapter/spacer between the wheel and column adapter and would be shorter. Though you could use really long wheel mounting bolts to go through this adapter and into the existing spacer that came with the wheel. Not ideal though.

4003 would be in addition to the spacer provided with the wheel.

Wanderer
Wanderer New Reader
11/3/14 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Jerry:

I think you're fine with what you ordered, hopefully it worked out how you wanted it to? I would have picked the 4000 as well to replace the provided hub instead of bolting on an extension. At least that's what it seems like it does like turboswede said. Let us know

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
11/3/14 5:56 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Thanks! I kinda need to know before EOD tomorrow though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zNR3wGrRk73sCZ1GyOshY2q4A1sJ9rk6x9EQsqKkjLuEdPBVHtqR1ABLGgaCz4S9