njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
10/11/10 9:04 p.m.

So I uh...

bought....another car.

And came here looking for tips.
1998 Subaru Impreza wagon. Stock STI v4 (280hp) swap with RA transmission and aftermarket (meh) exhaust Cusco "2" coil-overs

It's not all that great cosmetically, but Stace (SWMBO) loves it...and this car will replace our eminently practical but boring Protege. Any tips? It's red..now, but we're looking into "flat" colors: black, silver and "world rally" blue are being investigated. Any tips to shooting flat finish paints? Am I mad?

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
10/11/10 9:07 p.m.

Pics or it didn't happen.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/10 9:08 p.m.

How dare you post this without pictures! Have you no care for the rest of us??

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/11/10 9:22 p.m.

That sounds nice.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/11/10 9:28 p.m.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
10/11/10 9:39 p.m.

^ I'm not sure how to read that post. Sarcastically, I suppose..not what I expected on this forum.

For the rest, a pic:

Any tips from anyone: good forums for marque specific info? I'm new to subies. Serious question. Any areas for caution or tips?
IE: If someone asked about E36 M3's, I'd suggest checking the cooling system.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/10 9:41 p.m.

Wow...that thing is low!

Congrats. That sounds/looks like a very cool car!

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
10/11/10 9:44 p.m.

Thanks! It's not as clean as that picture appears...and it's going to get raised up to a more sane level.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/11/10 9:46 p.m.
njansenv wrote: ^ I'm not sure how to read that post. Sarcastically, I suppose..not what I expected on this forum.

Yes, it was sarcasm. I was just ribbing you so you could show me a picture. I'll take the 15-yard penalty for incorrect use of the "CSB" meme. The new ride looks sweet, BTW.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
10/11/10 9:48 p.m.

Thanks: sorry for mis-interpreting. I HOPE the ride is sweet, but only time will tell really. I've bought lemons before.

I'm COMPLETELY new to the Subaru world, though I've been eying WRX wagons for some time: we took a bugeye out some time ago and LOVED it. It's helps that i can use "snow" as a "sorta" good excuse to get one.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/11/10 10:05 p.m.

Naw, it's my fault. I should have noticed that "CSB" usually has a mean connotation to it.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
10/11/10 10:08 p.m.

That is berkeleying cool. I love my WRX wagon, but that is another world. Well done.
Raise it back to correct height, and rally cross the E36 M3 out of it. Or go full ZAV.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
10/11/10 10:21 p.m.

We just got back from running Allegeny "non-maintained" gravel roads in the 328i. I'm REALLY tempted to go ZAV...but probably won't.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/11/10 11:14 p.m.

Yup this just confirms my need of a wrx bugeye wagon.....definitely jealous, my wives exact words would likely have been: "what do we need a wagon for? We don't have kids! " congratulations on the cool new ride.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/11/10 11:19 p.m.

In reply to Spinout007's wife:

8 dogs!

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/10 4:19 a.m.

Cool car, Nathan. One of the CASC regional guys has a similar car (unless it is THIS car) -- Mike. It is unwordly fast. I don't know his screen name on any of the forums, unfortunately, but he'd be worth tracking down. A post at the CASC regional forum may turn him up.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 Reader
10/12/10 5:22 a.m.

So...you bought a car, brought it up here, and wanted SERIOUS? Yeah, right!

Cool car; wish it were mine. With, or without, the chassis clearance 'problems'.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
10/12/10 8:56 a.m.

OOhh, I may work for the Blue oval, but that thing is totaly my bag baby. I hate flat colors, it's the most over done, worn out before it started trend there is. I vote a stock color, not Word Rally blue, but something subtle. Paint the calipers black so they don't stand out and paint the wheels plain silver as well. If it's got a front mount interdooler I'd ditch the hood scoop for a plain hood as well. Get a good quality but quiet exhaust and go ubber stealth.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
10/12/10 11:54 a.m.

looks great!

Check out vinyl wraps too, non permanent and you can remove them 5 years down the road and still have the stock paint.

Check the oil religiously.

NASIOC.com is ok but use the search feature unless you want to get flamed to death.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
10/12/10 3:02 p.m.

I like the early Impreza's the best, and the fact that it's also a swapped wagon makes it peg the schwing-meter. Nice acquisition there.

I also vote non-flat paint, for similar reasons already stated. The vinyl wrap is an interesting idea though.

That said, Rhino-lining the thing is somehow different in my mind . . .

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/12/10 3:13 p.m.

In reply to njansenv:

Dirtyimpreza.com is pretty good if you're looking for off road tips.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
10/12/10 8:28 p.m.

Thanks guys. I just got home with it after about an hr drive.

I have this to say: I think a LOT more highly of Subaru's now than I did yesterday. The thing is an absolute riot: by the butt dyno, it feels quicker than the LT1 Corvette, yet has a full back seat, the practicality of a wagon... and the beauty of AWD. I'll be looking more closely at it this weekend: it was essentially a "sight unseen" purchase...but so far I think it's the best $3500 I've ever spent!

It DEFINITELY needs to get raised a bit, and as nice as the flat 4 sounds, this aftermarket exhaust has to go. It's much cleaner than the owner described (a nice surprise), so paint is going to wait for now. Off to dirty impreza...

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/10 9:03 p.m.

$3500? What a score

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
10/12/10 10:22 p.m.

Heh, and comparing the accel to an LT1 corvette is an easy way to make something seem fast. I have a K-car that accelerates harder than an LT1 vette.. id still buy one, though.

Id definitely buy this car before a c4, though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GvMCvE8a9wUWOyrREYOaLjBEqv5XWlBBYWAeto9fCs1wpXQtY4ghRPnaxr1Su6oy