Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
6/5/13 3:04 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmZMwk14r4c

Eco boost 1.0 litre

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
6/5/13 3:10 p.m.

THat car is a dream of mine in street legal form.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
6/5/13 3:23 p.m.

Along the lines of the kit-car stuff is there any reason why you could not modify one?

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
6/5/13 7:26 p.m.

Sadly I don't already own one of these....

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
6/5/13 7:51 p.m.

Anyone notice the right front fender in the last minute on track. It's vibrating so bad, I was sure it was gonna explode.

About the car, I'm sure it's a neat experience to try it out on the road once in a while, but it's not really a road car.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/5/13 8:49 p.m.

I want those headlights & tail lights.

Now please tell us more about those ecus you were talking about.

The video was just posted, but I'd swear this video was on here a while back. Or maybe it was just a video talking about them going to build this car. It was in the thread that said you couldn't transplant this engine in anything without factory help and the factory wasn't going to help.

He was certainly timid with the throttle. His BOV was shrieking in a lot of places it should have been quiet. But then again, I can't say I blame him. It was someone else's car and it was all on video.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/5/13 8:51 p.m.

As a calibrator, that's a seriously bad turbo calibration. You can hear it all over the surge line, and the blow off valve wasn't helping, with the turbo stalling all the time. I would be pretty pissed off if the 1.0 in the Fiesta ends up that bad.

Other than that... as I watched it, I kept thinking of the middie-Locost that was done here. A lot. Cool idea that many here can pull off.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
6/5/13 9:00 p.m.

There was another video of this car. Not driven by Chris Harris like this however

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/5/13 11:12 p.m.

I'll take 2

7pilot
7pilot Reader
6/6/13 6:57 a.m.

BAC mono for me, thanks. For me, the Formula Ford Convinces me that "Race car for the street" is missing the plot, Totally.

m

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/6/13 7:02 a.m.
fanfoy wrote: Anyone notice the right front fender in the last minute on track. It's vibrating so bad, I was sure it was gonna explode.

Yeah, I noticed that too... but still - it's a one-off prototype, not a production car. I wouldn't expect perfection.

I can give them a pass on the engine tuning as well. It's a 1.0L engine with a turbo from a larger engine. He said during the drive it was a bit "peaky" and hinted it was realyl set up for the track and mildly detuned for street use by journalists. Again - prototype.

One really couldn't expect Ford themselves to put a car like this into production, but it seems the components are there for a smaller company to produce a version similar to the Caterham. Especially in Europe where it seems small builder like that have an easier time than here in the US.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/6/13 7:19 a.m.
Ian F wrote: I can give them a pass on the engine tuning as well. It's a 1.0L engine with a turbo from a larger engine. He said during the drive it was a bit "peaky" and hinted it was realyl set up for the track and mildly detuned for street use by journalists. Again - prototype.

Plenty of prototypes run better than that. Even ones calibrated by, well, non OEM calibrators. None of what I noticed is that hard to deal with. But that's just me.

Especially since it's likely to be a module from a production car that's been modified to do that. Which is a matter of turning some stuff off more than anything else. And when I say modified, I mean just the calibration- nothing else. What that car does with sequential shifters is the same as a DSG trans does- so that apparently works ok. Why not the simple turbo cal?

I digress....

It's still a very cool car that quite a few here could make a cheap version of.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/6/13 7:34 a.m.

There was a guy running around by me with a street legal Modified Dirt Car last summer. I saw him come out of a store with a 12 pack and a small bag of stuff; that's about all he could get inside that cockpit!

Looks like fun.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/6/13 8:03 a.m.

The headlights and taillights are what I like least about the car. They don't look good IMO and they look like they might create lift. I think the car would actually look better if it had "hardware store" looking lights on it that don't look so beefy. Maybe sportbike lights mounted with some turnbuckle rods.

The mechanic working on my 'rolla said he'd build a single-seater open wheel car for free once the parts are provided. I said that if I had way too much money, I'd get an FSAE roller and hook it up with a turbo literbike engine and servo-variable wings. He said "See, you get it!"

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/6/13 8:34 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

what if you integrated some low profile lights on the front wheel fenders, and then had a single one centrally located? Should be able to hide them pretty well that way?

Not sure if they would generate lift, but they do look ungainly where they are.

Another alternative that could be easier- a Sports Racer turned street car. Some even are pretty wide in the passenger area, so that it could me modified to fit 2.

Say a Sport Renault converted to a fun FWD car?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/6/13 10:06 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: what if you integrated some low profile lights on the front wheel fenders, and then had a single one centrally located? Should be able to hide them pretty well that way?

The trouble is that I'm pretty sure the UK has a minimum headlight height so they'd have to be right on top of the fender to meet it...and it would add to unsprung weight.

If the height weren't an issue I'd integrate them into the front fenders like on the Caparo T1:

Notice the big main headlight is about the same height as the headlights on this car. Also the fenders on the T1 are attached to the body.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/6/13 11:41 a.m.

I wanted to do something like this with a Pro Four using a 4age and some boost bolted to a t5 and a ford quick change rear end.

We actually had one but never got to it due to us having to get out of our shop.

I am so mad for getting rid of this car!!!

(taken in my shop about 10 years back)

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
6/6/13 12:03 p.m.

That dirt modified is wicked cool

dean1484
6/6/13 12:14 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: That dirt modified is wicked cool

And supper easy to square up so it would turn left and right.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
6/6/13 12:43 p.m.

I thought it sounded great, almost porsche like.

If I can get a Fiesta to sound like that sign me up!

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/13 1:26 p.m.

It's cool and all, and I'd certainly love to drive it. But it's hard to wrap my brain around exhibitionist cars. This would get more attention than a pink pacer with a machine gun turret. What the hell though.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
6/6/13 4:34 p.m.

Is there room for a second seat a passenger one in a dirt mod car?

dean1484
6/6/13 6:25 p.m.

As it sites no it was boxed in with al sheet but it could easily be opened up and the floor extended over.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
6/6/13 10:58 p.m.

street legal race car sounds like a freaking riot...sign me up

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
6/6/13 11:10 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: As a calibrator, that's a seriously bad turbo calibration. You can hear it all over the surge line, and the blow off valve wasn't helping, with the turbo stalling all the time. I would be pretty pissed off if the 1.0 in the Fiesta ends up that bad. Other than that... as I watched it, I kept thinking of the middie-Locost that was done here. A lot. Cool idea that many here can pull off.

Did you see the nest of hoses under there, especially the turbo inlet? I would bet that ugly noise at mid throttle that sounds like surge is just some stupid resonance in that hacked together turbo inlet. And the poorly tuned BOV could actually be well tuned, and just sounds like that, I forget what brand does, but I'm pretty sure theres one that sounds similar. That turbo seems to make all sorts of strange noises, but I'm finding that turbos with modern aerodynamics are, the EFR6758 in my racecar makes some really bizarre noises and I swear its not the turbine wheel hitting the muffler.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
avofxi58eUthQy1FkxJRwvPJoWjuiCi6XqD0DEaz4BO0arLp0iiJAXangBO9RMd5