1 2
bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
11/23/16 12:16 p.m.

I'm totally with spitfirebill above. Let the wife keep her car.

My wife deserves a new car far more than me. She's been driving a 2008 Honda Fit since new and it's got a ton of miles on it. The radio isn't great, it's buzzy on the freeway, and it's entirely covered in dirt and dents.

But she loves it, and every time I talk about getting her something new and nicer she reminds me of that. A vehicle that keeps giving trouble-free service, year after year, is worth a lot to her, and maybe your wife too. I've learned the hard way that my wife knows her heart and desire far better than I do, and in situations like this it's just best to ask.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/20/17 6:52 p.m.

Okay so something has to give. My Suburban is just possessed with the HVAC system, has 177k miles on it, and is basically just getting tired, and I'm tiring of it as well. If only GM could make the truck like they make their drivetrains.

My wife's Sienna is still awesome, and I just got the exhaust leak fixed on Tuesday, so no more weird sounds. Runs like a champ, good A/C, and no real issues aside from a lazy power slider.

We still need a vehicle to tow our camper, or another camper that I'm interested in. The current camper is 3500lbs. The new has a GVWR of 4450(dry 3575). With that being said I think a 5000lb tow rating for a new vehicle should be fine, if not a little close. The GVWR is wet which we never tow with H2O, and usually don't bring our entire house with us. Also we only camp twice a year maybe 3 times. If it were up to me it would be zero times, and we wouldn't have a camper. Towing is important for the new vehicle, but not done much.

Maybe a 4Runner that is a few years old as I love Toyota's? Maybe another SUV of the Mid-sized variety as I don't think my wife wants to drive a big SUV like the Suburban as she's 5'-0" and doesn't like huge vehicles. What else can you guys recommend? Grand Cherokee? Durango? Tahoe/Yukon(maybe too big)? Sequoia/Land Cruiser?

I can take over driving the Sienna as much as I would love to not be driving a minivan, I do love that car. Heck I drive a Mini-van already with the Delica. Only looking to spend $20-25k tops so payments are not crazy. We haven't had a payment since 2012.

We could also just get another Sienna, or mini SUV, and I get a new tow vehicle for cheap. Or get the wife a new car, and pay someone to fix the Suburban so I have A/C? Something has to give though, as this GM is killing me.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
7/20/17 7:23 p.m.

Too bad about the Suburban, my '05 Denali XL has been pretty awesome even now at 200,000 miles and I paid $3500 two years ago.

Sometimes putting some money into what you have that's been working "ok" and some into the Sienna works wonders for the automotive relationship.

Like has been said, get the Sienna professionally detailed. Fix the HVAC and maybe some nice mufflers and new wheels for the Suburban while you're at it?

(You campin' in the reservation or are you traveling farther?)

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/21/17 12:36 a.m.

I dunno, i'm back to that v8 4runner idea. It's in the budget, will tow 5k, is a Toyota, will be way more fun to drive than the Suburban, might even be cool enough to tempt you to modify it.

Or hell, for 20-25k a used Lexus SUV is totally possible.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/17 1:48 a.m.

That price range might get you in a low mileage diesel Grand Cherokee. Yes, they're going through a lawsuit but I still think it'll be a great buy when they get hit with this lawsuit through and it depreciates!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/22/17 8:44 a.m.
yupididit wrote: That price range might get you in a low mileage diesel Grand Cherokee. Yes, they're going through a lawsuit but I still think it'll be a great buy when they get hit with this lawsuit through and it depreciates!

What's the lawsuit about? Are these good trucks?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/17 10:03 a.m.

Emissions fraud. The owners I know love them. I had one as a rental when my truck was stolen and my wife wanted to buy one. I liked it a lot and averaged about 24 to 26 mpg no matter what lol

Im hoping after this emissions fraud they depreciate like a Lincoln

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/17 10:44 a.m.

I would fix the suberban unless it has frame rot or serious body rot. Put a couple grand in to it and you will get another 100k out of it.

If you are just sick of it then that is another story. I have that relationship with my truck. At the moment with no ac and it needing a rear main and the quadrasteer acting weird it is not my friend. As soon as it halls home a load from home depot it gets forgiven.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/22/17 8:57 p.m.

Traded the suburban in today on a brand new 2017 and 4Runner.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/17 9:10 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Traded the suburban in today on a brand new 2017 and 4Runner.

Well dam. That was fast. I would be interested in your take on the new ride after you have had it for a while

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/22/17 9:20 p.m.

You'll have to talk with my wife. She's taking it, and I get the sienna.

imgon
imgon Reader
7/23/17 8:39 a.m.

I guess that solves the AC issue, congrats. Enjoy the new ride in the event you are allowed behind the steering wheel. Did Ken ever call you?

car39
car39 HalfDork
7/23/17 4:28 p.m.

Rule of thumb: when regular repair bills equal or exceed a car payment, it's time to move on.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YdZWfkJP3XnVwP99w87P1QivOeu6iLoBodsXld7Jad7Y5I2NZOf59SWt6ivV6Jlf