ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/11/13 12:13 a.m.

I've tried teh Googles, but I just remind myself of that jpg that says "I can't brain today... I have the dumb."

I need replacements for the little plastic expanding fasteners that hold the inner fender to the fender lip for my 2012 WRX, and I'll be darned if i can figure out how to figure out where to get them.

I mean, the answer may just be "dealer", but if I can have them show up on my doorstep, that'd be a lot nicer.

Anybody?

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
3/11/13 12:55 a.m.

any parts store should be able to match them up... unless Subaru just had to be unique and use some oddball fastener in order to drive up the cost of manufacturing...

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
3/11/13 5:39 a.m.

Methinks the part #s you're looking for: bigger "rivets" is 909140007(one in a pack), the phillips head "rivet" is 46064AE000(four pack). Plug that in at any of the wholesale dealer parts houses online, 1stsubaruparts.com subarupartsforyou.com subaruproparts.com subaruwrxparts.com etc, that should be what you need.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/11/13 5:59 a.m.

Ive had good luck ordering clips from ebay. You usually have a choice of OEM or the aftermarket ones body shops use.

ransom
3/11/13 9:40 a.m.

Thanks, guys!

ValuePack, where did you come up with those part numbers?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/11/13 9:44 a.m.

Yeah, don't go to a dealer. My Mustang uses those little plastic things to hold the radiator shroud down. I broke one changing the grille out, and--being the loyal/stupid Ford customer that I am--I went to the dealer.

Those little sons of guns cost over $3. EACH.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
3/11/13 10:09 a.m.

I found this place, and wondered what I did for all those years without it...

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Subaru_Grill_Bumper_Clips_s/304.htm

Saved my butt a couple of times on my Saab 9-3

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/11/13 11:45 a.m.

I have complained so many times about fasteners and what a swindle it was paying $2 for 2 fasteners at autozone that my brother finally did something about it. He ordered a "care package" of subie fasteners from clip and fastener and gave it to me for Christmas.

ransom
3/11/13 12:23 p.m.

Clips and Fasteners has photos, which is nice... Now if only the better half hadn't taken the car to work today.

Some things make me unnecessarily impatient. Having everything but one last piece of information ready to order is one of them.

By this afternoon, I'll probably be emailing to ask her to go take a photo of the side that still has the fasteners. Maybe if I catch her before lunch...

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/11/13 12:27 p.m.

The 1/2" short shank ones with the Phillips head work okay too if you just need to get something at the parts store.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
3/11/13 12:54 p.m.
ransom wrote: Thanks, guys! ValuePack, where did you come up with those part numbers?

My Google-fu is strong. I've spent entirely too much time cross referencing part #s trying to junkyard-fix my beat down Outback.

ransom
3/14/13 11:55 a.m.

Woohoo! Clipsandfasteners.com sorted me out. I feel disproportionately relieved now that my inner fender is once again properly secured.

Thanks again for the leads!

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/14/13 6:09 p.m.

My 09 front clip and fender liners are almost entirely held together by zipties at this point. They work much better than the garbage clips....

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/14/13 6:22 p.m.

My inner fender liner has been dragging on my passenger side front tire for almost a week and a half. Last time we got a decent snowfall I ended up driving through two big piles of snow where someone had plowed their driveway out into the road. Hitting a wall of snow taller than your headlights at 45+ mph with a front bumper held on with about half of the clips (I lost some last fall in a raccoon encounter). My lower edge of my bumper cover has an area that is made up of parts of a milk jug and a water bottle. Guess I should buy some clips or ziptie the thing back together. Wife just has surgery today and then it's back to work for the next 6 days.

ransom
3/14/13 6:22 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

I believe it... Still hoping to keep this thing in as pristine and factory-like a condition as possible 'til we move to something more appliance-like. I do like it, but it's sort of an unhappy medium between a too-much-character "me" car and a really efficient and reliable household DD.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hqiUkKfEttEaHmHyjoITzmukES657Ui1FHSwTb9x5HdaVtbnKoc2zxUKwtngFkVa