Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/21/21 10:52 a.m.

I've been casually shopping STIs, but locally they're either $35K+ or have descriptions like "runs real good, pulls hard".  I'm seeing WRX hatches around $9-15K and appearing in pretty decent shape.  It's one of my "bucket list" daily cars.

How much would I give up with WRX vs the STI?  I've never been a bleeding edge performance guy, would I even notice?  Except for the adjustable center diff?  If there's a difference could it be made up by coil overs and a small tune?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/21/21 11:18 a.m.

As I understand, the STI transmission is way stronger than the one in the WRX.  I think the gap between 1st and 2nd is not as wide, which would be nice.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
5/21/21 12:44 p.m.

The sti has big brakes and wheel hubs plus the trans as mentioned, so is better for tracking.  If just for daily, the wrx and a "tune" would do it.  The wrx is more comfy while still a tarted up econobox. (I made my own Sti hatch out of a 97 L wagon with lots of JDM tarty bits)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/21/21 1:11 p.m.
Jerry said:

I've been casually shopping STIs, but locally they're either $35K+ or have descriptions like "runs real good, pulls hard".  I'm seeing WRX hatches around $9-15K and appearing in pretty decent shape.  It's one of my "bucket list" daily cars.

How much would I give up with WRX vs the STI?  I've never been a bleeding edge performance guy, would I even notice?  Except for the adjustable center diff?  If there's a difference could it be made up by coil overs and a small tune?

$35k+ will buy you a new one. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/21/21 1:13 p.m.

Subaru sells lots of STI parts if you decide there is an upgrade you want or need.  The N spec parts are JDM spec STI parts if you want all the goodies.

Shopping for a clean unmodded Subaru WRX or STI will require patience and a careful eye.  Lots of them out there have mods that I would need to undo.  

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/21/21 3:25 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Jerry said:

$35k+ will buy you a new one. 

A new one what?  They don't make a hatch anymore, or I'd look into that route.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/21/21 5:00 p.m.

For a while  the 2.5 liter WRX was faster 0-60 than the STi due to the 5 speed vs 6 speed transmissions.   STi was faster in the 1/4 mile.  STi has a rougher ride and is louder. 

I had a 2009 WRX.  2.5 liter/263 hp. I called it my "poor man's BMW".   

I drove a friend's STi and decided it was cooler but I would just get into trouble with it on the street. It was way to easy to hit 110 compared to the WRX.   

If you aren't going to go the "boy racer route", and try for  transmission shattering high horse power, then the WRX is the more practical choice.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/21/21 5:30 p.m.

On the street, not much/nothing.  Straight line performance is close/can be corrected (assuming we are talking 2.5L cars).  Suspension is close enough, but the STi with have a higher upper limit if you want to go down the rabbit hole with wide/sticky rubber just due to better hubs, bolt pattern, & brakes.

In autox (and I imagine on track), the STi center diff is magical.  Night and day difference vs. the WRX.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/22/21 11:26 a.m.
jharry3 said:

If you aren't going to go the "boy racer route", and try for  transmission shattering high horse power, then the WRX is the more practical choice.  

This might be the answer I'm looking for.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
5/22/21 12:10 p.m.

Wasn't there about a 50-75 how difference between the two? Also, I think it might be easier to find an adult owned WRX.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/22/21 2:51 p.m.

I think you will be fine with a WRX. I just had a hopped up one play with the Cayman (to the speed limit of course) and it probably would have taken me at a 1/4 mile but I'd reel it in for a 1/2 mile race.

I had a '99 2.5RS 2 door that had the SPT catalog tossed at it along with some TEIN coilovers and it was a very very fun car.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/22/21 2:54 p.m.

there are a bunch of youtubes comparing the 2.0l to the 2.5l models.  Most almost point to the 2.0l WRX version.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/21 7:21 a.m.
jharry3 said:

For a while  the 2.5 liter WRX was faster 0-60 than the STi due to the 5 speed vs 6 speed transmissions.   STi was faster in the 1/4 mile.  

The STI required two shifts to get to 60mph, but the WRX had economy-tall gearing with the side effect that it could exceed 60mph in second gear.

0-60 is a bad metric because of this.... a car with bad gearing might be better at 0-60 than a car with better real-world gearing.

I'm torn on the issue.  I rode in ZB's STI and I'm convinced it's a slow car with a fast driver, so why bother.  I rode in Orion's ex-Draco STI and was pissed off that I couldn't scrounge the funds when it came up for sale smiley  but it also had lots and LOTS of money thrown at it with things like Group N brakes to clear 15" wheels, and the for-sale price didn't include the suspension, which was a large part of why it was awesome.

The WRX is calmer and easier to find, but the clutch pedal requires two feet, and automatic WRXs are really hard to find and were only made for one or two years ('08-09) unless you want a rust prone strut-suspension car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jJ2QDXPsGXLu7Vth5grddp3DBvhx5OtUZfvcNRp7EE1FOjcaI6Y3sRzK9Sj7XroV