1 2 3 4
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
9/5/17 10:19 p.m.

Sorry, but C4 corvette will be even harder on your heel getting in and out of it.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/6/17 8:36 a.m.
rslifkin said:
Ashyukun said:

RX-8? I know the automatics get dogged on because the engines put out less power than the sticks, but they're still well-balanced, fun cars and the automatics are less likely to have been flogged badly.

IIRC, the auto ones were more likely to chew up an engine specifically because they weren't flogged.  For emissions reasons, the oil injection at lower rpm wasn't quite enough, so engines that got revved higher tended to last longer.  The autos tended to lead to not being revved as high. 

Interesting, I didn't know that. Of course, one of the first things I did on my FC was to ditch the oil injection in favor of premixing...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/17 12:07 p.m.
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) said:

I don't mean to reignite an old debate, but what kind of "enthusiast" car are we talking about -  It sounds like you mean more interesting highway cruiser than canyon carver?

It's a bit more than "interesting highway cruiser", but it's a little hard to explain, which is why I used "enthusiast car" as an attempt at short hand.

I'll give it a shot, maybe this will help clear things up a bit. Clients know that I'm a car and motorcycle guy, so I can get away with rocking up in a car that is a bit "special" without getting raised eyebrows, even though the GRM crew will know that I bought it for close to beater money. So as an example, showing up in the world's nicest 1987 Shelby Daytona that I bought for $3k is perfectly OK, but showing up in the worlds nicest beige 1994 Toyota Corolla isn't. That's where the 'vette and the SAAB in the original post came from (and also my "classless" 06 Mini Cooper S) - those are both cars that people seek out because they like them and are enthusiastic about, and not because your highly paid consultant can't afford (or chooses not to, but image counts for something in this business) anything better than a beater.

Its a bit out of whack with earlier suggestions, but since its such a short ownership, I'd guess you're not going to want to mess with the car or put any money into it. I feel like a P71 or Lincoln Towncar could do well for you.  For half your price limit: it would need basically nothing mechanical, you wouldn't be bothered by any dings etc., comfy, cold AC & hot heat, and can be sold in 4-6 months for what you paid for it, if not more.

I can see where you're coming from, but my wife will refuse to go anywhere near one of those. And finding something that she's also willing to drive while the fate of her 500SL is being decided is kinda important and the "price I pay" laugh for her putting up with my dragging home projects.

BoxheadTim
9/6/17 12:09 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun :

Already got a manual RX8 - as much as I like rotaries, that one is currently on my "for sale" list and I don't really want another one right now. Plus, decent ones are really hard to find - a lot of them are owned by people who have no clue about looking after a rotary. I do have the magic juices in my garage (Idemitsu premix etc) but I'd rather have a nice automatic FC instead.

BoxheadTim
9/6/17 12:10 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Sorry, but C4 corvette will be even harder on your heel getting in and out of it.

We've owned one in the past and I think it would be OK - for example I can also get in and out of my ND Miata just fine right now, it's the stretching and working the muscles in the foot when actuating the clutch that's causing grief right now.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/6/17 12:38 p.m.

What about something old? An old merc or jag or BMW or (rolls?) or American land barge could be really fun if not all that fast. Classic style, and plenty of enthusiasts for them, just different enthusiast group generally. Plenty of class for meeting with clients while also clearly not breaking the bank. Plus you can explain that they are basically free because unless you do your own maintenance, no one can afford them.

And all of those can be had in excellent running/driving condition for 4k if you look.

BoxheadTim
9/6/17 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

American land barge got nixed by my wife when I was eyeballing a mid-sixties Chrysler, I think I could get away with an XJ-S if I can find a decent one. She wasn't too keen on the nice-ish 450 SLC I dug up locally either. I think 80s XJ6s are out, too unfortunately but that's mostly because I still have a minor case of PTSD from owning one in the UK. That one needed about half an imperial gallon of oil per tank (keep in mind they have two tanks...).

BMW Landshark might be an option, but that would probably come in at $6k-$7k for a decent one. Plenty of E36 M3ty ones around for less than $4k, though.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
9/6/17 12:55 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I'll agree on skipping the 87 and older Jag XJs.  Nice cars, but they've got their issues.  The 88+ XJ40 and X300 XJ6s and X308 XJ8s are much better cars in a lot of ways (and only 1 fuel tank!).  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/6/17 1:07 p.m.

If you're after "projects image of well paid consultant with somewhat eccentric tastes" rather than a specific performance target, here are some other ideas that I didn't post up the first time but might fit the current goal pretty well.

1. Lincoln Mk VIII. This thing looks kind of like the final evolution of the 1970s personal luxury coupe - in a good way.

2. '80s BMW 635. Finding one in this price range may be a stretch, but not impossible. And with the big six, an automatic won't slow you down very much.

3. Another one that might be a stretch to find a nice example would be a G-body Monte Carlo SS. Couldn't get those with a manual anyway.

Robbie
9/6/17 1:16 p.m.

Maybe too much money but ad has been up a while, maybe some negotiation potential:

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/classic-1962-chevy-impala/6266236139.html

Maybe a bit too much work, but should quickly and easily clean up and be cool:

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/collectors-classic-1979-ford/6291035140.html

Definitely cool - probably hard to conference call and drive though...

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/1975-classic-international/6225090700.html

Ranchero?

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/1971-ford-ranchero-delivery/6295224250.html

For the bold:

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/1975-bricklin/6255252859.html

Not much info, could be a diamond in the rough (or could just be rough):

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/87-bmw-l7/6269875282.html

BoxheadTim
9/6/17 1:23 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

I'll take "eccentric" over "deranged", thank you .

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/6/17 1:37 p.m.

I see quite a few SN95 and newer Mustangs on craigslist near you for $4000 or less. I'd do one of those for parts availability if nothing else.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/6/17 1:48 p.m.

X308 XJR or w140 coupe (s500 or s600 are plenty fast enough and handle well.? 

The LS and Q45 aren't that big to be honest. The x308 are smaller though. Why can't your wife drive a full size car? 

BoxheadTim
9/6/17 2:06 p.m.
oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
9/6/17 2:07 p.m.

For a short term flip I'm not sure I'd worry too much. Acura TSX, Lexus IS/GS, BMW e39 or 46, Volvo v70 are all easy buttons. Pick one with most records/best condition and heal up. Sell for what you paid or better in the spring.

BoxheadTim
9/6/17 2:14 p.m.
yupididit said:

Why can't your wife drive a full size car? 

It's not necessarily that she can't, she doesn't want to as it makes her uncomfortable. When she went from her XJ Cherokee to her Range Rover it took a while for her to get comfortable. I *think* an X300/X308 is about as big as she'd be comfortable with.

Robbie
9/6/17 2:14 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I think the supercharged xj8 means it is an XJR, unless it was special ordered or something. Should be like 390 HP.

Of all of those though, that prelude is AWESOME. Bet you could drive it away for half of asking. It won't be fast though (definitely not compared to the Jags you listed).

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
9/6/17 2:17 p.m.
Robbie said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I think the supercharged xj8 means it is an XJR, unless it was special ordered or something. Should be like 390 HP.

Ordinarily, yes.  But that one appears to be long wheelbase, doesn't have any of the stock XJR wheels and is badged as a Vanden Plas.  I guess it was possible to get the blower motor in something other than an XJR, although I've never previously seen an example of one.  IIRC, it's 370hp for the supercharged engine in that chassis compared to 290 for the NA motor.  

Robbie
9/6/17 2:58 p.m.
rslifkin said:
Robbie said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Ordinarily, yes.  But that one appears to be long wheelbase, doesn't have any of the stock XJR wheels and is badged as a Vanden Plas.  I guess it was possible to get the blower motor in something other than an XJR, although I've never previously seen an example of one.  IIRC, it's 370hp for the supercharged engine in that chassis compared to 290 for the NA motor.  

Seems you are right about the 370. I thought the later ones (99-03) had a slightly revised and uprated motor from the 98. But now I can't seem to validate that.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
9/6/17 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

A little research confirms that a supercharged Vanden Plas was an option.  Pretty much a unicorn, it seems.  Supposedly just under 800 of them were sold.  And as far as I can find, that's 800 worldwide, not in the US.  

Robbie
9/6/17 3:10 p.m.

Boxhead -

If what rslifkin says is true, it's starting to sound to me like that supercharged VDP is the real winner. I love that color too. Is 'Grace, pace, and space' in your future?

Jump on it! (no wait, 'pounce'?)

yupididit
9/6/17 4:57 p.m.

Supercharged VDP is indeed a thing. A very rare thing but it is.  There was a mint silver one on BAT. 

yupididit
9/6/17 4:59 p.m.

I THINK the supercharged VDP might have had CATS suspension. Could require pricy suspension work. 

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
9/6/17 5:10 p.m.
yupididit said:

I THINK the supercharged VDP might have had CATS suspension. Could require pricy suspension work. 

It does, like the XJR (but not quite the same setup). 

Robbie
9/6/17 8:38 p.m.
rslifkin said:
yupididit said:

It does, like the XJR (but not quite the same setup). 

Pretty sure my XJR does not have CATS. I dunno if you meant that all XJR had CATS, but I don't think they do.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3K8o5uCcUm5bAtAXIOUWTPwBs1srJbxnVqnhQlAAmtJ4uWqUGRD9yh4HqYl83lE8