jmhonnold
jmhonnold New Reader
9/16/14 1:28 p.m.

Hi All: I found a local 1964 Mk1 Sunbeam Tiger that sounds interesting, but it is a project and I am certainly no expert. I have not looked at the car yet, but am planning on doing so in a couple of days. Is there anything in particular that I need to look for or be cautious about? Thanks, John

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/14 1:37 p.m.

You need to make sure that it's a real Tiger and not an Alger.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
9/16/14 1:42 p.m.

I'd also ask over at the Classic Motorsports board. I like Alpines and Tigers, but I don't know enough about them to advise. Good luck!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/14 2:05 p.m.

If you get the Tiger, can I have Agent 99?

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/16/14 2:23 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: If you get the Tiger, can I have Agent 99?

Which one?

Rust and authenticity are your main concerns, but you probably already knew that.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
9/16/14 2:24 p.m.

Anytime we get a Tiger in for work the first thing we do is get it checked out with the local Tiger club to make sure it is real. Everything needed to fake one was easy to get for so many years that there are more clones than Shelby ever made real Tigers.

Things like the fuel pump mounted in the battery box and other weird insignificant details are what set a real car apart.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
9/16/14 3:43 p.m.

If it is a fake, and being sold as such, then I would not shy away unless the work was done poorly or you have a burning need to own a real one. Certainly the price needs to reflect the fact that it is not real, but if you plan to drive the thing, your butt wont care where the fuel pump is.

The MGB world has the same issue, however it is pretty much acknowledged that the home-made MGB V8s are more fun than the factory cars; certainly more fun than a stock factory car.

Did I mention rust?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
9/16/14 4:05 p.m.

I would not run away from a conversion if it was well done. But I would price it accordingly.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/16/14 6:42 p.m.

On top of checking its real. Rust, rust, and rust, and how any prior rust was fixed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l5MbZyFZqXAgvSw0JxWlnsmmVb4D1Har1icT002Kr5l31hP9vC9KZhqKMpZxENUt