1 2
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/13/16 8:50 p.m.

As I learned over in this thread Hot Rod's Drag Week rolled into my town this week. So, today I shrugged off some responsibilities and went to the drag strip from about 9:00 am - 12:30.
Great time and I got to drop in on Pat and GRM'ers and give the some local knowledge on their travel routes.

As expected, the cars were amazing. I'm not one much for taking pictures and I'm sure the Event FB page will give you tons of that.

I did come across one car that grabbed my attention so I spoke with the owner and took some pics. It should be noted that I am attracted to the odd and the unexpected...

Here is a Chevy that ran 12.3 seconds
This photo is exactly how it was outfitted from its run.
First note the wire hubcaps but since these "bolt on" with a center bolt they are legal to run on the track. Notice the bobble head dog in the rear window too.

Also traveling down the strip with him is the Florida Tourist, clothes rack of Hawaiian shirts.

This one really amazed me...he professionally had drag tires capped with white walls.
I don't know enough about tires to know how this was done.

The whole car is MINT and that includes the interior too.

You have to look close to see The Best Of BTO on 8-track.

Here is his support trailer!
Those are fake windows and a fake side door. The whole rear hinges upward.

Set to go down the road, zoom in to see the chrome fender-mirrors!

Really, when was the last time you saw fender mirrors being used.

What's it got? 502 ci GM motor putting out 600 hp though it really doesn't look like it.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
9/13/16 8:57 p.m.

That's incredible. I love it!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/13/16 8:59 p.m.

That is way cool!

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
9/13/16 9:03 p.m.

I love stuff like this. Although there isn't much of anything like this.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
9/13/16 9:14 p.m.

I love sleepers and that thing is the epitome of sleepers. I like how the only thing that indicates it's capabilities are the drag slicks (and you'd have to look at the tread). That engine bay is so stock looking it's unbelievable.

-Rob

Opti
Opti HalfDork
9/13/16 9:20 p.m.

A buddies dad has or had a caprice, that ran about the same time. It was a 383 and it was QUIET. Had 17 inch spoke wheels to hide the big brakes and a vinyl top and a similarly outfitted mint interior.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
9/13/16 9:37 p.m.

I dig it.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
9/13/16 10:11 p.m.

Dayum

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/14/16 6:18 a.m.

Cool.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
9/14/16 6:36 a.m.

That thing has to be a super good time. I appreciate the lengths they went to to pull it off so well.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
9/14/16 7:19 a.m.

wow, that is amazing!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/14/16 7:26 a.m.

If that car doesn't get a feature in Hotrod, I'll be pissed. That thing defines sleeper.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
9/14/16 9:05 a.m.

This is just awesome!

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
9/14/16 9:11 a.m.

I love sleepers and that one is a great version. He must have broke as I didn't see him yesterday at Norwalk. The announcers mentioned that more people dropped out after day 1 then were in the first Drag week so it sounded like there was quite a bit of attrition. Looking at pictures from Day 1 there were quite a few cars that didn't make it.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
9/14/16 9:24 a.m.

This thing is bad ass

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/14/16 9:39 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: If that car doesn't get a feature in Hotrod, I'll be pissed. That thing defines sleeper.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a feature.
The event is chuck full of vehicles that SCREAM for your attention. On the other hand, this one gently whispers for your attention. If you are not tuned to that frequency, you'll likely never hear it calling you.

These photos were taken at Norwalk and as Zeitgeist confirms, it would be very easy to miss this considering all the other "eye candy" on site. I saw this go down the strip and wanted to see it closer when I got to the pits. If you had not seen it go down the strip you would think it was just a support vehicle for someone/something else in the event.

The owner had done Drag Week with this combo last year too. My guess is he was not featured then either.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/14/16 9:43 a.m.

I wouldn't have gone big block, but the rest I 100% approve of.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/14/16 9:50 a.m.

Other little nuggets if you really search the pictures:
The bumper sticker under the license plate reads: I "heart" Bingo
There is a Garfield stuffed animal suction cupped to the rear passenger window that also goes down the strip.
When in the pits, the trailer has small pink flamingos on the forward roof.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
9/14/16 10:19 a.m.

That's the best thing I've seen all week.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/14/16 11:51 a.m.

I love it! Very cool.

JohnRW1621 wrote: This one really amazed me...he professionally had drag tires capped with white walls. I don't know enough about tires to know how this was done.

It was probably done the same way that truck tires get re-treads. Clean contact area (in this case, the sidewall), put some new rubber in a mold, some adhesive on the sidewall, tire on top of the new rubber, allow new rubber to cure onto the current tire.

I'd be interested to see how durable it is. Re-treaded tires can be very durable, but there is a lot more bending and flexing in the sidewall vs. the tread (especially in a drag slick run at low pressures). Still, very cool.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/14/16 12:55 p.m.

I want to know his 1/4-mile times with the trailer in tow?

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
9/14/16 5:59 p.m.

Yeah, this car rocks.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
9/14/16 7:48 p.m.

I have suggested in the past that if the Drag Week cars are going to tow support trailers in order to get between venues, then they should damn well be forced to race with them behind the car. I think this guy might just take me up on that!

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
9/14/16 10:42 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

In for the 240mph unlimited class trailer towing.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/14/16 10:55 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: In reply to NOHOME: In for the 240mph unlimited class trailer towing.

Best new motorsport. Ever.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yTE7tVtBRGzuA8O6EIgDLLi9wcyh8IZ8zcr1O8jC7Cxd7DgEF6fg0gOy9BXbnfPm