Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/13/12 9:24 a.m.

My Miata now wears these stiffer motor mounts from Good-Win Racing. After a few hundred miles of breaking in, they're not very harsh at all. Even my girlfriend noticed the improved shifter feel and clutch takeup.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1991-mazda-miata2/stiff-mounts-miata/

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/13/12 9:27 a.m.

Would you still recommend these if you were to be embarking on a 6000 mile trip in a Miata next year?

I have a lot of slop in my car that needs to be taken care of. I just can't decide between the Mazda Motorsports units or something a bit stiffer like these or any of the other options.

Alan Cesar
7/13/12 10:02 a.m.

6000 miles is a long way to go in an NA6 Miata, stiff mounts or not.

I'm tempted to say go for it, but lemme go on a bit of a longer drive at interstate speed. I'll get back to you.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/13/12 10:05 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: 6000 miles is a long way to go in an NA6 Miata, stiff mounts or not. I'm tempted to say go for it, but lemme go on a bit of a longer drive at interstate speed. I'll get back to you.

Sorry, mine's an MSM and already has a bit of an exhaust drone.

Doubt highway RPMs is much better than the NA6 anyways, this transmission is stupid. I already did 3000 miles in 3.5 days with it, but that was a hammer haul, not a 3 week trip.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/12 10:12 a.m.

I've run stock and Mazda Comp units in my own car. If you run with the top up, the extra NVH from the stiffer mounts isn't all that pleasant. My car has a hardtop pretty much permanently installed, and I pulled the Mazda Comp ones out again after about two weeks. That was for my drive to work, I definitely wouldn't want them for a 6000 mile road trip. New factory units are affordable and the most comfortable. The correct choice for a toy car or one that lives with the top off most of the time will be different. We get varying feedback from customers with the Mazda Comp units depending on their expectations.

We tried a set of the AWR poly units (the ones that Good-Win sells) on our supercharged NC and did not feel they were suitable for a street car. Extreme NVH. Never tried them on an NA like Alan's car though.

It's important to note that any comparisons should be between healthy stock mounts and aftermarket ones. I've been starting to pay more attention to the mounts coming off cars, and this is the sort of thing I'm finding - it came off a 60,000 mile 2004.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/13/12 10:16 a.m.

Thanks Keith, i was a bit curious about how it would affect a convertible specifically.

I run 98 duro mounts all around in the MX6 and it's entirely liveable, but it's also about as different of a car from the Miata as you can get.

I'd be ok with giving up some comfort vs what i have now with the MSM, but i'd say i'd tolerate only about 20% less.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/13/12 11:40 a.m.

I have the motorsports mounts in mine, I haven't really noticed much additional NVH over the stock shot mounts but my Miata is pretty harsh anyway.

I did just put the poly mounts in the diff, it is much tighter now.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/25/12 10:41 a.m.

Hey Alan any update on the mounts? Taken any highway trips in it?

The driveline in my car is moving around so much now that it's hard to shift and i'm thinking about doing these and some poly diff mounts at the same time i rebuild my shifter.

Alan Cesar
7/30/12 3:38 a.m.

Finally got it on a trek this weekend - 1.5 hours each way to a nearby track. Totally mild, feels barely different than stock at highway revs. I'd have no qualms about taking this on a long trip -- well, the stiff mounts wouldn't stop me, anyway. The rearview mirror vibrates with the engine at 3000 rpm, but that's the only higher-rev complaint. I'd guess you'll find something else that begins resonating at certain revs.

Again, this is on an NA6. If you go for these, do let us know how they feel in your car.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/30/12 8:57 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: Finally got it on a trek this weekend - 1.5 hours each way to a nearby track. Totally mild, feels barely different than stock at highway revs. I'd have no qualms about taking this on a long trip -- well, the stiff mounts wouldn't stop me, anyway. The rearview mirror vibrates with the engine at 3000 rpm, but that's the only higher-rev complaint. I'd guess you'll find something else that begins resonating at certain revs. Again, this is on an NA6. If you go for these, do let us know how they feel in your car.

That's good enough for me, sir! I'm not worried about around town at all, it can vibrate all it wants.

I'll be ordering these in August for sure! I appreciate it!

And will do on reviewing. I'll be so excited to be able to hit 3rd gear again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lley62BDhy61RlMHaaqrmgozlySy0e0qkqkIuWMOcGSgME8CKntNLAxpSyP4Iefd