1 2 3
thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/18 12:30 p.m.

A couple of folks in the C6 thread talked about how something like the car version of a supermoto would be rad. I agree and want to talk about it more, without dragging that thread way off topic. So, how would you build one? I'm currently thinking of a tamer version of the Targa Miata, like what FM's Targa Package provides. Easy button feels a WRX but that's too easy. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/18 12:32 p.m.

I'd build a...oh hang, on.

I suspect this is part of the appeal of the Raptor, and why the smaller Ranger Raptor is looking pretty exciting. But you're basically talking about a gravel rally car - torquey engine, lots of suspension travel, the ability to cover bad roads at high speed. Right?

thatsnowinnebago
2/20/18 12:36 p.m.

Maybe even something like a 67-72 C10 lowered 2" (blocks in the rear, drop spindles in the front) with good shocks and sticky enough tires. You'd keep all the suspension travel that way and get it a little lower. Move the LCAs forward an inch to help with caster, raise the trailing arm bracket to improve rear geometry maybe? Detroit locker in the rear with some lower gears. Swap in a newer motor with FI and a better transmission. Seems like a lot of fun. Not that I haven't thought about building one at all...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/18 12:37 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

But you're basically talking about a gravel rally car - torquey engine, lots of suspension travel, the ability to cover bad roads at high speed. Right?

D'oh, beaten.

thatsnowinnebago
2/20/18 12:39 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Haha yeah, you're all set. 

Basically yes. I mean, what if I need to jump some railroad track on my commute right?

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
2/20/18 12:43 p.m.
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/20/18 12:48 p.m.

80's to 90's Toyota 4x4 pick-up with grippy tires.   Or essentially a pre-runner build.

My other day-dream: VW Mk IV with custom coil-overs and basic Street Prepared drivetrain upgrades.  The coil-overs would give the added ground clearance and handling (these cars actually handle better when you lift them) and plenty of power to get you into trouble.

But really... Toyota pre-runner... my bone-stock pick-up went airborne over rail road crossings more than a few times...  like more times than I can remember. A lot more.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
2/20/18 1:29 p.m.

I think the suggestion in the other thread is the direction I'd go with this, either a locost for onroad hooning or a Baja bug for on/offroad capability. This was my Baja:

Just a ton of fun everywhere it went. With a mere 1776 engine it was plenty quick. It was tossable in more ways than one, and it could go nearly anywhere in any weather (though it was damn cold in the winter with no heater boxes. I was thinking of converting an oil cooler into a heater box setup like a normal car has).

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/18 1:34 p.m.

Forester with rally shocks would work just fine as well. Plenty of room for some meaty tires and plenty of travel for chewing up forest roads. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/20/18 1:43 p.m.

I don't think you need to lift a car for this. As a matter of fact I think most cars at stock ride height with enough spring to keep it from constantly being in the bump stops and on upgraded dampers would do fine. Something small, light and nimble. MK2 golf or similar. Or Irishes E30 rally car, or nonacks Merkur. 

I guess what you want is a rally car. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/20/18 1:46 p.m.

​​​​​​I'd say this is about as close as a 4 wheeled supermoto gets.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/18 1:53 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:

I don't think you need to lift a car for this. As a matter of fact I think most cars at stock ride height with enough spring to keep it from constantly being in the bump stops and on upgraded dampers would do fine. Something small, light and nimble. MK2 golf or similar. Or Irishes E30 rally car, or nonacks Merkur. 

I guess what you want is a rally car. 

And either in tarmac, gravel or Targa Newfoundland spec depending on what sort of roads you want it to swallow. Really,this is what rally cars are bred to do.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
2/20/18 2:06 p.m.

One part VW Beetle, one part Polaris RZR, stir vigorously, bake at 350° for 45 min. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
2/20/18 3:02 p.m.

It’s very simple it’s door to door rallycross racing. Now as far as street car stuff pretty much any car you use for rally,rallycross,off-roading ,ice racing etc fits the bill as far as I’m concerned.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/20/18 3:14 p.m.

You'd like my rallyx e30 coupe. Later gen Dohc 2.8L straight six swapped (m52b28 in bmw-ese). Strong suspension at around stock height, but not overly stiff. Increased rear travel. Homemade 3/16" plate steel front skid plate.

Our site used to be a place called "gravel mountain". It was appropriate for there. smiley

spandak
spandak Reader
2/20/18 3:50 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I suspect this is part of the appeal of the Raptor, and why the smaller Ranger Raptor is looking pretty exciting. But you're basically talking about a gravel rally car - torquey engine, lots of suspension travel, the ability to cover bad roads at high speed. Right?

Ive been thinking about this concept for a little while now. It describes the perfect DD/urban warrior machine for me. What’s the recipe for this? 

I’m thinking:

1-2 inches of lift via stiffer springs

Stiffer dampers to match?

Sparco Terra’s 

What tire would work well? An off-road tire would fit the image but the compromised grip on the street would bother me.

A bent wheel on my MS3 had me thinking about this. I still might do it. 

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
2/20/18 4:05 p.m.

Um... Didn't he just describe Local Motors Rally Fighter?

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/20/18 4:26 p.m.
spandak said:
Keith Tanner said:

Ive been thinking about this concept for a little while now. It describes the perfect DD/urban warrior machine for me. What’s the recipe for this? 

I’m thinking:

1-2 inches of lift via stiffer springs

Stiffer dampers to match?

Sparco Terra’s 

What tire would work well? An off-road tire would fit the image but the compromised grip on the street would bother me.

A bent wheel on my MS3 had me thinking about this. I still might do it. 

Supermotos run sticky road (or race) tires so to keep with the theme you wouldn't want off-road tires. Any of the current crop of 200tw autocross tires would be appropriate. Of course you can put dirt tires back on the supermoto and you've got a regular dirt bike. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
2/20/18 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Beat me to it on the tire usage. The premise is an off-road vehicle on sticky street tires, not a street vehicle on chunky off-road tires.

Technically speaking, I'd guess that the closest thing to a four wheeled Supermoto is probably a side-by-side with 200TW tires.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
2/20/18 5:20 p.m.

For those who have not ridden a supermoto I highly recommend it to describe more of at least what I meant when I made the comment in the other thread.

• Torquey, single cylinder motors tend to be more torque than power combined with gearing they feel very responsive
  • Tall seat height means great visibility around traffic and other obstacles and lots of leverage over the bike
  • Suspension that can handle the tightest corners you throw at it with sticky tires a supermoto will dust a superbike in the twisties
  • Low top speed, I mean I could hit 80-90 but it was really pushing it and not what it was for
  • Suspension that still has the travel and bottoming resistance to encourage you to jump things, shortcut on dirt, ride over obstacles etc
  • In general a behavior and feeling that encourages hooligan behavior, wheelies, shortcuts, etc

I think watching any of the Recoil films with BJ Baldwin is the essence but at a likely illegal extreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXMyZ929lpY

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/18 5:34 p.m.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/18 5:41 p.m.

In reply to spandak :

Ive been dreaming of doing something similar to my FRS since before I even bought it, but its too nice and expensive for me to seriously consider it any time soon. Still though, i like the looks of these a lot:

Anyway, i think something kinda half way between a rally car and a prerunner would be more ideal, if much more difficult and/or expensive to execute. Getting the kind of suspension travel i would want would probably mean a pretty radical redesign on just about anything short of a Raptor (which is far too heavy.)

As for tires, the solution is multiple sets. Nice thing about cars is they're way easier to swap wheel/tire sets back and forth than switching 17" and 21" front tires on a bike.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
2/20/18 6:33 p.m.

Able to be street legal in some parts of the country like Arizona, but this is probably in reality the closest

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/20/18 6:38 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

I'd drive the wheels off of that. I don't think it'll be legal in Texas though since they just outlawed dune buggies sad

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
2/20/18 6:53 p.m.

2-door S10 blazer with Astro/Bravada AWD transfer case. Add deep gears, smallish grippy tires offset as far out as the suspension/flares/local law enforcement will allow, and either a turbo or v8.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cOKzaR6w9vKKXCAlqAz7pTaZaLXxylgVDK0IQsnqPtao8bBqQcu3OVxWFPYHOeZ4