therieldeal
therieldeal New Reader
4/20/18 6:39 p.m.

So most of the SCCA solo classes prohibit making changes to the suspension "pickup points".   Can anyone more clearly define what that really means?  In particular my car falls into the "SMF" class, where a *lot* of things are free, but "pickup points" still cannot be changed.

For example, in a setup like mine where there's a separate bushing shell in between the control arm and the subframe... do i have to keep this stock bushing shell?  Or can i design a custom/modified bushing shell that bolts up to the subframe using the same three bolts, and still be legal? Basically... is the pickup point the spot on the subframe where the bushing shell attaches, or is it the bushing shell itself?

I HIGHLY doubt I'll be winning any championships anytime soon, or ever, but I would still like to play by the rules.  Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated :).

In case anyone's wondering i would be looking to modify this in order to make changes to caster, anti-lift/dive, etc... and possibly/eventually try to mount forged aluminum control arms off of a totally different vehicle.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/18 7:47 p.m.

I'm no expert, but I would guess that the bracket is part of the "suspension pickup point".

Are offset bushings allowed?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/18 8:02 p.m.

I'm going to guess that the pickup point is the actual location in space around which the control arm pivots. The intent is probably to prevent you from making changes to caster, anti-lift/dive, etc.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/18 8:16 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

The rules can be enticingly vague in this regard.  "Bushings can be any material but must be nonmetallic" iks interpreted by me to mean that I can make an offset bushing out of hardwood that would move the effective pickup point a bit.

For example.  And totally not something that I was planning to do.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/20/18 10:08 p.m.

I think it means you can't move the bolts that hold the control arm or strut to the car.  That's my interpretation as I pour offset control arm bushings, anyway.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
4/21/18 8:50 a.m.

I always took that to mean the mounts on the body shell itself.  Control arms and bushings can be changed.  At least thats the way it always was in Improved Touring.  All of the RX7s I use to race with had these fancy bent rear control arms that did away with the rear steering.  They were nothing like stock control arms, and changed everything except for where they bolted to the body.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
4/21/18 11:12 a.m.

That was always my interpretation .

therieldeal
therieldeal New Reader
4/22/18 8:29 a.m.

So my initial setup that's going on the car shortly will be offset bushings pressed into shells from a different mazda.  These shells have the same bolt pattern but a larger bushing diameter (thus allowing more offset than the stock shells would).

As i mentioned above i'd eventually be trying to do something entirely custom with the control arms (which themselves are free) that will likely require a custom bushing shell to accomplish.  I'll plan to use the same 3 bolts to hold it to the subframe & call it good.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ou1ueaUxwENsbdKuK5ca8lmP9RbPNRFyQ13xBZUyOy0cs4nbBxIpoKnMVDLkzwTk