David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/21/10 9:55 a.m.
feature_image

The GRM crew has been busy with the Lincoln, and most of that time has been spent undoing past sins. Whoever first prepared this car should have their wrenches confiscated and their butt kicked.

The rear suspension was a mess, and we think we have it banged back into shape. After more than one try, we found some OE-grade shock …

Read the rest of the story

fifty
fifty HalfDork
12/21/10 7:44 p.m.

Flush the clutch master cylinder also (if it's a man. trans.) - the 38 year old fluid in our Lemons car prevented the clutch push rod from returning, and we smoked a clutch!

ww
ww SuperDork
12/22/10 3:21 p.m.

It's a Lincoln Mark VII... They were never made with a manual unless you do a Mustang tranny swap! ;)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/22/10 9:03 p.m.

Yep, it's an automatic. I'm not saying that means that the fluid still doesn't need to be changed.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/17/11 11:44 a.m.

Whoa, seat sliders? We used a thick foam pad. No fancy schmancy seat sliders for us.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
3/22/11 11:22 p.m.

I saw one of these on my local CL this weekend for $2500, after seeing this project car I am sorely tempted to go find that car and take a closer look. I won't be turning it into a racer if I like what I see, but will use some of your ideas for "improving the breed", so to speak.

Unfortunately, the only Mk VIIs I ever run across either look like the project car here, and are just as hacked to bits, or are VERY high mileage examples and the electronics are shot....especially the ones controlling the rear suspension.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zKCMRiYHWLGb2zrcrnwN9iaOgZsQxagvX6dStxsSRmuu8HACeNScvy94JJq5Z6Zc