Carrera30
Carrera30 New Reader
7/20/09 6:28 p.m.

So I have an opportunity to trade my 1977 Carrera 3.0 Coupe for a 1991 C4 Cabriolet - even stevens.

My car is great looking from 10 feet away, but she's a long term commitment once you get close. Needs paint, interior is shabby, has some electrical issues, etc. But it's a coupe and it's my first 911 and it's got 58,000 miles, and it's rare, and it was never sold in the U.S. giving it more potential value down the road.

The C4 Cabrio has 95K on the clock, but is visually and nearly mechanically flawless. By mechanically, I mean the A/C doesn't work.

Any thoughts on what to do?

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
7/20/09 6:39 p.m.

I think that I said in one of the other Porsche threads that the C4 cabrio is the Porsche that I would want (in white).

Tough call....I believe that alot of the "driving experience" would be diluted with the C4.

Depends on what you want to get out of owning either one...I guess.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
7/20/09 7:02 p.m.

I'd... definitely keep the classic if you don' intend on abusing it.

The back of the cabriolet is ugly... the back of yours is beautiful, especially those exhaust. Plus you know you'd miss that green interior.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/09 7:08 p.m.

I would stick with the older car...

walterj
walterj Dork
7/20/09 7:15 p.m.

I have a 91C2 I drive daily and... er... its faster, better in almost every way than the early cars but... the old cars a are more quirky, raw and, frankly, more awesome as a toy.

I don't think I'd make that move to a C4 unless I needed a year-round car that was going to see snow a lot. The C4s drive system is complicated, expensive and heavy - its excellent - better than any in the models that came after but its going to hurt when it goes wrong.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
7/20/09 7:45 p.m.

You don't seem too excited about trading, I assume the other guy came up with the idea? You know what the problems with your car are, the other car is bound to have problems too. I say keep your car and fix it up a little each year. Pretty soon it will be in just as good condition as the other car.

Bob

Carrera30
Carrera30 New Reader
7/20/09 7:55 p.m.

Honestly, if it were a C2 Coupe, I would probably be making the deal right now, but I like the fact that my car is a little different than others. If anything, it's nice to know that it is desireable. The guy who approached me is actually a consigner/locator and he has a buyer in Norway who is dead set on a Carrera 3.0. The consignment guy just sold a C3 targa about 2 months ago (I know all this because I stopped in to look at it, but it had rust issues that mine doesn't have and more mileage) and that's how he found out about my car.

Based on my gutt and some encouragement from you guys, I'm going to stick with the car I have. Thanks!

porksboy
porksboy Dork
7/20/09 7:58 p.m.

"Better the evil you know, then the evil you don't know".

RossD
RossD Reader
7/20/09 8:10 p.m.

I dont like how targas and cabrios look compared to a coupe. You've choosen wisely.

vazbmw
vazbmw New Reader
7/20/09 8:51 p.m.

And I like the 77's better.

porksboy wrote: "Better the evil you know, then the evil you don't know".
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/09 9:07 p.m.

There will always be a market for a Carrera 3.0, but a lot of folks are afraid (right or wrong) of the early Carrera 4.

That being said, I think that they are of about equal value right now. The 3.0 may go up a bit, but I think there's still some room for the 4 to drop.

Do what makes you happy. It sounds like you want out of the 3.0.

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
7/20/09 9:57 p.m.

I think a C4 cab would be the porsche I'd be least likely to want.

a 77 3.0 gives me a boner.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
7/20/09 10:08 p.m.

Stay with the classic IMHO....you have the Porsche I would like

mad_machine
7/20/09 10:08 p.m.

the only 911 cabby worth having was the spyder they had out with the cover over where the back seats went.

The only targas worth having are the new ones with the retractable glass roof or the very early ones with the zip out plastic rear window

Carrera30
Carrera30 New Reader
7/20/09 10:11 p.m.
porksboy wrote: "Better the evil you know, then the evil you don't know".

Well said. And my car has the sound track to back up the evil, too!

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
7/21/09 2:24 a.m.
Carrera30 wrote: The guy who approached me is actually a consigner/locator and he has a buyer in Norway who is dead set on a Carrera 3.0.

"OFFERS TO SHIP CARS ARE 100% FRAUDULENT!"

Oh..sorry, man. Craigslist flashback.

I'm delighted to hear you're keeping your Carrera. I hate it when cool cars become so "collectable" that people stop running them just because the interior/paint/whatever isn't "perfect". Some of these collectors will just do a restoration and let the thing sit in the garage until they can sell it for more than they spent. If the thing is still making you happy on the road, the road is where it belongs.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/21/09 9:04 a.m.
Keeper of the grail said: He chose...wisley
Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox New Reader
7/21/09 9:07 a.m.

I'd swap for the simple reason that the C4 should be worth a lot more than your car.

mad_machine
7/21/09 9:23 a.m.

for now.. true 911s are going up in price.. and will continue to do so

Cotton
Cotton Reader
7/21/09 9:34 a.m.

I have an 85 Carrera and would not trade it for a 91 C4. If I were you I'd keep the 77 and invest some time and $$ into it's condition.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3ptKIsXDsrS47rQUyrnCcpfJkyy8VzbLM2enhX1ACIXwqRmpvde3GRQhsUASL52P