idickers
idickers None
10/22/09 12:16 p.m.

Has anyone used swing-out side bars for a roll cage? I'm building up a '76 BMW 2002 for HPDE and possibly club racing. However, I'd still like to drive it on the weekends, and am concerned about getting in and out of the thing with full side bars. A compromise between stiffness and egress might be to use on of the kits that allow the sidebar to swing out, using a clevis pin to lock in place. Has anyone used any of the clevis kits that would allow the sidebars to swing out? They're approved by the NHRA for full-body oem cars running less than 8.5 second quarter miles. An 8.5 second oem car is pretty serious, so I assume the swing out mechanism must be fairly stout. Would I have any trouble with SCCA or BMW CCA? I'm thinking along the lines of #7030 or #7036 from Chassisworks.com. Thanks,

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
10/22/09 12:45 p.m.

The first thing I thought of from the title was those swinging doors on the entrance to the bars in the old westerns. Yes, it's been that kinda day.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/22/09 1:53 p.m.

Fairly certain SCCA doesn't allow them. Chances of getting t-boned at a drag strip are less than on a road course. You'd need a rule book to confirm.

jimbbski
jimbbski New Reader
10/23/09 9:31 a.m.

I think it would be easier to make "bolt in" door bars then swing out ones. While at the track the bars are bolted in place and then for the street you just remove them completely. See SCCA rules & specs for bolt in roll cages for how to do this.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IYytsZK3Yl7H9wmTNOzTJA8gmVrhMX2I5OSHcn1DJEpbY8FZvtyQ3pXTcgS3Gqz4