1 2 3 4
Erich
Erich UberDork
5/13/21 2:56 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

yeah it's too bad about the Leaf's battery degradation, which they still seem to suffer from if to a lesser extent. I loved my 2013 Leaf and would probably still own it if not for that issue.

The depreciation was so unexpectedly severe that Nissan offered me my lease buyout for $7000 after 3 years, more than half off residual. 

I doubt they're still doing that.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/13/21 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Erich :

Leaf's low price make me want to mess with one -  either ghetocet it or make a pickup. But the range limits the utility so much...  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/13/21 3:11 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Erich :

Leaf's low price make me want to mess with one -  either ghetocet it or make a pickup. But the range limits the utility so much...  

I leased a 2013, which had the 'better' battery. It's meager range wasn't ever really an issue then, and it didn't degrade at all while I owned it. Neat little car. I mean the Bolt, new Leaf, Model 3, Niro, ID4 and Kona blow it out of the water, but it was really good for 2013.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/21 3:24 p.m.

We've had quite a few Leaf owners here over the years. It's also pretty interesting how many of the GRM staff buy electrics or hybrids for their own cars - was it JG who had the first-gen Volt?

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
5/13/21 3:40 p.m.

I wouldn't call them the Yugo's quite yet. There's a strange and VERY active subculture of Leaf modding going on, from Massive homebuilt solar cells to Companies making new batteries for them. I think it's because the LEAF is one of the few EVs thats cheap enough for common yokels to buy, uses a lot of stock parts/CANBus so its easy to figure out, and cables are easily spliced. I heard someone refer to it as some kind of EV Model T and there's some truth there, I think.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
5/13/21 3:48 p.m.
Erich said:

One thing I've noticed is that used EV prices have really bumped up over the last few months. I was shopping for the i3 a few months ago and all of a sudden the prices are $3k+ more than what I paid. I looked and it seems to hold true across the used market. 

Used EVs used to be depreciation machines except for Tesla. Is that changing, or is it just reflective of the wider used market pricing?

May have a lot to do with gas hitting $3.00 a gallon nationwide. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/13/21 7:51 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

We've had quite a few Leaf owners here over the years. It's also pretty interesting how many of the GRM staff buy electrics or hybrids for their own cars - was it JG who had the first-gen Volt?

I remember some report claiming that a large portion of the F1 field daily drove Toyota Corollas. If it's not for driving fast, get a tool. It's a hammer, not a fashion statement or compensation device. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/13/21 8:18 p.m.
frenchyd said:

May have a lot to do with gas hitting $3.00 a gallon nationwide. 

Was happening way before the latest excuse to go up on gas prices, so I doubt that's why.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
5/13/21 11:30 p.m.

Bolt or Leaf gets my vote.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
5/14/21 8:13 a.m.

I'd be interested in a Chevy Bolt but SWMBO  had a few really bad experiences with Chevy's and won't consider it.  
   As far as a Leaf  goes there is a real reason they are so cheap.  I'm not buying a leaf just for a cheap EV. This will be the last vehicle we can buy before our long dirt naps. So quality over low price.  
   Our neighbors with them really are gushing over them.  Most aren't particularly environmentally concerned.  They just are thrilled at their performance and low cost of ownership.  

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/14/21 9:06 a.m.

It's interesting the cars that are getting cross shopped just because they're electric.  I mean one wouldn't normally cross shop a Japanese cross over and a boutique American performance sedan.  That's not a criticism.  It's just an observation of a phenomenon that occurs because of where we are in evolution of the EV.  I do think that it's time for Mrs. Frenchy to drive some stuff and see what she likes.  I'm interested in both what she and Frency think of the different options.

The only EV I've driven is a late model Leaf and I was really surprised to find how much I liked it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/21 9:14 a.m.

Some people are cross shopping these disparate vehicles because they're electric for sure. That's because there aren't really that many options yet so you have to cast a pretty wide net if you want to be able to plug in your car.

But what would be interesting would be how many people are chosing EVs regardless of their mode of propulsion. I know that Car and Driver has done at least one comparison test of an EV versus its more direct competitors on equal footings - it wasn't an EV vs ICE comparison, it was "let's test the offerings in this market segment and see how they stack up". From what I recall, there was very little discussion of the powertrain other than the usual sort of comments you'd get from any vehicle on noise and power delivery. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/14/21 9:40 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

I wouldn't call them the Yugo's quite yet. There's a strange and VERY active subculture of Leaf modding going on, from Massive homebuilt solar cells to Companies making new batteries for them. I think it's because the LEAF is one of the few EVs thats cheap enough for common yokels to buy, uses a lot of stock parts/CANBus so its easy to figure out, and cables are easily spliced. I heard someone refer to it as some kind of EV Model T and there's some truth there, I think.

I guess. But in the age of model Ts or even small block chevys, the movement was facilitated by abundance. If you had the initiative and skill you could always go to the junkyard and cobble something together for a song. Decent batteries and controllers still don't come cheap. If you want a 62kwh battery, you're going to pay. Then you're going to have to figure out how to keep it cool and play nicely with the controller. Clearly this will loosen up over time, but the hot-rod era of EVs is still dominated by guys with the bucks to salvage wrecked Teslas and stuff.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
5/14/21 10:00 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Some people are cross shopping these disparate vehicles because they're electric for sure. That's because there aren't really that many options yet so you have to cast a pretty wide net if you want to be able to plug in your car.

But what would be interesting would be how many people are chosing EVs regardless of their mode of propulsion. I know that Car and Driver has done at least one comparison test of an EV versus its more direct competitors on equal footings - it wasn't an EV vs ICE comparison, it was "let's test the offerings in this market segment and see how they stack up". From what I recall, there was very little discussion of the powertrain other than the usual sort of comments you'd get from any vehicle on noise and power delivery. 

My neighbors who previously owned Auto Union, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, type cars thought $500 oil changes and $1500+ service work was normal. When you add $50+ fill-ups a couple of times a week ownership of Tesla's is a pleasant change. 
     Plus there is a little patriotism going on too.  Nearly everyone mentioned it at least a few times 

My neighbors with the Volt/Bolt had good things to say too about their ownership. However as adamant as SWMBO is against past issues with Chevy Products that's simply a non starter. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RsLGWiXtNnfnL8YzVA87KO9Y2NxfGyRVTf5Ni4hVnUCW4wzTqJmrvdmWYzWHRk7z