mrdontplay
mrdontplay New Reader
2/3/09 8:04 p.m.

I'm thinking about putting an ecotec in my chevette. I found a bellhousing to bolt one to a t5. the question is, should this bellhousing bolt to any T5? if so that would make this a breeze if I can find a chevette T5. Is there another way to adapt the ecotec to another transmission?

heres the bellhousing I'm interested in http://quad4rods.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=29&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100041

I have considered the solstice transmission and it seems a little too long.

jdmae92
jdmae92 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/09 8:48 p.m.

It will bolt to any T5 that is from a GM, so yes the Chevette T5 would work.

mrdontplay
mrdontplay New Reader
2/3/09 8:52 p.m.

Now to find an uber rare chevette T5

jdmae92
jdmae92 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/09 9:02 p.m.

There was one on craigslist near me a while ago for $75...not sure if it is still available.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/09 9:04 p.m.

FYI, Camaro's and Firebird's have T-5's behind the V8's from 81ish-92 and V6's from 81ish to 02.

Ford T-5's are different from V8 to V6 to 4-Cyl and also on trucks.

AMC and Jeep actually had the first T-5, found behind the bulletproof 232/258 I-6.

mrdontplay
mrdontplay New Reader
2/4/09 3:41 p.m.

All those put the shifter farther back

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
2/4/09 3:51 p.m.

Actually, that's the GM pattern T-5 on the bell housing and the Chevette for some reason has the Ford pattern on it. The Chevette also has a longer input shaft than the S10, so it would also need a spacer.

For that bell housing to work for you you need a S10 T5.

Now, for the same $ you could pick up a Canyon or Colorado 5-speed then give me something for the Solstice bell-housing I've been trying to sell to hook it up. Or for a little more than that bell-housing price you could get a used Solstice trans on e-vil-bay. Both options are going to be better shifter location wise in your Chevette than the S10 trans.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/4/09 3:57 p.m.
P71 wrote: FYI, Camaro's and Firebird's have T-5's behind the V8's from 81ish-92 and V6's from 81ish to 02. Ford T-5's are different from V8 to V6 to 4-Cyl and also on trucks. AMC and Jeep actually had the first T-5, found behind the bulletproof 232/258 I-6.

'83, I believe was the first use of the T5 in the F-body. '82s were the first year of the third generation, but they used a T10 4 speed transmission.

The S10's had a T5 with the shifter mounted much farther forward (than other applications I know of), I THINK.

ww
ww Dork
2/4/09 9:44 p.m.

Here's a full listing of T5 applications and their tag #'s up until Borg Warner was sold to Tremec.

http://www.kamikazeracing.org/dl/ZTech/BorgWarnerT5-applications.txt

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
11/20/20 4:02 a.m.

you can change shifter location, buy changing the tail shaft housing.. s-10 is the shortest,, next is the v6 mustang and the same for the v8 mustang.. same housing the gm tail shaft is the on furthest back.. but understand this,, the layed over the camaro/ firebird tranny over by 17 degrees to the the drivers side

wspohn
wspohn Dork
11/20/20 11:35 a.m.

The GM T5s also cant the transmission a few degrees to one side unlike the Fords.

And you have to pay attention to which T5 you buy as most of the S10 boxes, for instance, suit a truck but not much else - bull low.  If you want to research a particular trans, there should be a metal tag on one of the bolts that gives a number. Go to http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm  for an excellent resource on which is which along with the ratios used.

I found a WC (world class) T5 from a V8 Camaro/Firebird had the perfect ratios for my rebodied MG project.

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
11/20/20 1:59 p.m.

I have a GM T5 in pieces. It needs to be cleaned up and assembled which I can do I just haven't since I've been busy with other projects. I bought it this way, that is in pieces. The PO took it apart to make sure it was OK.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/20/20 3:56 p.m.

The newer mustang T5's have the shifter external, which would allow for modifying to whatever shifter position you want, should that matter.  I have a 2007 on a shelf if you need pictures or measurements.

I believe the housing to trans pattern does not change ford to GM, but that the input shaft changes.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
11/26/20 10:22 p.m.

the gm. t5 box the bolt pattern is different,, wider than the fords                                                    

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/26/20 10:32 p.m.

I see this is an old thread....

The (97 to 02) 3800 v6 powered camaro and firebird have a Ford bolt pattern trans fyi.

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
11/27/20 10:32 a.m.

I've taken apart two different GM T5's that came out of 305 V8's and both had the same bolt pattern as the Ford T5. Their tail housings are different as the whole trans is rotated from 12 noon to about 10 o'clock.  This moves the shifter closer to the driver from what I've read.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
11/27/20 10:59 a.m.

BTW, if the shifter position is your main issue, I believe that the AR5 comes in versions with the shifter further forward - try Chev Colorados, for example

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/20 12:53 a.m.
jimbbski said:

I've taken apart two different GM T5's that came out of 305 V8's and both had the same bolt pattern as the Ford T5. Their tail housings are different as the whole trans is rotated from 12 noon to about 10 o'clock.  This moves the shifter closer to the driver from what I've read.

Sure they were from 305s and not 4th gen V6s?  Every one I have seen used the same bolt pattern that Chevy used on everything since forever.

I have a feeling that Chevy switched to the Ford pattern for the 4th gen to save money.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
11/28/20 3:19 a.m.

if you use a w/c t5 * not the regular t5.. look at gearbox video, and buy the countershaft bearing retainer.. its worth the $35.00..i installed one   

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gVUL37yG1pyZ8ZQv2OOtqcGoydzr2muRYmIpXOXdYfmnvVwJSmicUT7P6f3BIQ6G