PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
7/5/15 3:36 p.m.

One of my coworkers here in Flagstaff Arizona is selling his 98 5spd 4x4 3rz (I think) Tacoma with 180k. He knew I was in the market for a 4x4, so he's willing to hear my offers first. I just bought a 5 spd Trooper for $2,000 with 180k and Its in fantastic shape, but I might not mind the Tacoma if it'll be more reliable, which is my biggest concern. The aftermarkrt for the Trooper is abysmal, so getting cheap upgrades is difficult, but in either case I wouldn't be doing anything too crazy, mild lift, slightly bigger tires and that's about it.

So my question is, what would you want to pay for a 98 Tacoma 4x4 4 cylinder 5spd with all scheduled maintenance from the original owner with 180,000 miles?

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
7/5/15 3:43 p.m.

Based on what people will pay for it around here, 5-8k would be about right. Any lower would be because he's a good friend or you got the better end of the deal A friend's dad picked a similar one up recently for 5k in good condition, but he always seems to get good deals on stuff by showing up with cash in a timely manner.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/5/15 4:28 p.m.

I'd want to pay $3k. It would probably sell for $5k.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/7/15 2:51 p.m.

Since you have the Trooper, it is a bit complicated. If I was looking at buying one of the two, I would buy the Tacoma, hands down.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
7/12/15 11:06 a.m.

Independent4x makes everything for that Trooper. The aftermarket is there, you just have to look for it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/12/15 11:26 a.m.

Best friend just bought a similar truck. 6500 here in Charlotte, and he bought it from his dad. Going rate closer to 8k here.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/13/15 11:52 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Best friend just bought a similar truck. 6500 here in Charlotte, and he bought it from his dad. Going rate closer to 8k here.

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. Get much below $6500 and everything has a quarter million miles or the frame has already broken in half. Actually, one in similar spec popped up on a local dealer's website Thursday night for $6900 and was sold by the time I called about seeing it on Friday morning...

I've been casually shopping Tacos recently and, on paper at least, I like them better than just about anything else on my list. Problem is I think I would have a very hard time actually parting with the entry fee for what you get.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
7/13/15 2:55 p.m.

My coworker and current owner of said 187,000 mile Tacoma accepted my $3000 offer, and will even allow me to make payment in installments.

It drives soooo much better than the Trooper. Shifts better, brakes better, handles like a sports car by comparison,etc. Only negative I noticed was that yes, even with the camper shell the bed isn't as nice of a place to spend time as the cavernous interior of the Trooper.

I'm in the process of moving and having the Tacoma would be a big help. There are just some thing that you need a truck bed for.

Only thing I'm not wild about with the Tacoma is the apparent power decrease of the 2.7l. It should get better MPG than the Trooper, but I few times I stalled it (while test driving the Tacoma) because I thought it would have more torque than it did.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
7/15/15 3:11 p.m.

New owner of an old Tacoma!

1998 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 5spd 4x4 photo IMG_06011_zpsgmg1qwzw.jpg Sweet!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
7/15/15 3:26 p.m.

Congrats! You basically stole it. When you finish moving drive it to the Midwest and sell it for 7-8k. Totally serious.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
7/15/15 4:29 p.m.

HOLY #(@$#&%)@&% THAT IS CHEAP.

Flip it and buy 6 more Troopers.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/15 9:29 p.m.

You paid $3k for a Toyota 4x4? Holy crap, I think I just found my next business venture! (buying Toyota's in your neighborhood and selling them in mine)

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
10/1/15 10:54 p.m.

Pretty sweet deal you got there...I recently sold my '98 2.4L SR5 to a co-worker for $1500, wasn't in running condition though. Kind of miss it...

Been looking to get an 80's-early 90's Toyota truck or a late model Isuzu Amigo/Rodeo Sport for off-road capability/backup daily driver though... kinda wanting to go Isuzu 2WD route honestly, lightweight RWD works fine for offroadability.

The 2RZ for the 2WD is more suited for moving the truck than the 3RZ for the 4WD...Was extremely difficult to stall the 2RZ in that thing. The V6 is the way to go for a 4WD Tacoma.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/5/15 11:48 a.m.

Hoping to sell mine once the snow starts to fall, go down to Phoenix and pick up a Montero. I'm hoping that after fixing the windshield and HVAC controls I can get around $5000 for the Tacoma.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/8/15 2:37 p.m.

What year/trim level montero are you looking at?

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/8/15 5:03 p.m.

I'd like to find a 2.5 or 3rd Gen, so 98 and up, if the 2.5 model, I'd like to find one with either lower miles, continuous synthetic oil changes, or valve seals already done. The newer model doesn't suffer from the VSS leaks, so the miles aren't as much of concern there.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/15 2:45 p.m.

Gotcha. Reason I ask is the 96-97 RS models do make more power than any of the rest, and have lower gears in the diffs (like 4.7 or something silly) BUT the intake runners have butterflies that like to fall off of their shaft and kill the motor. Mitsu does sell an improved upper intake manifold that fixes the issue but its like $350. I had a 96 that killed itself when that valve failed. It was a great rig otherwise. Fits 33x10.5" tires no problem and had enough power/gear to turn them. The SR has a locking center diff so you get 2wd, AWD, 4hi, AND 4lo. I don't remember if the LS does. Be sure to get the winter package on the 2.5s to get the locking rear diff. I love the fenders on the Gen 2.5s. 3rd gens have IRS if that bothers you. Supposedly they actually have better flex than the solid rear axle gen 2 and 2.5s.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RR3NQEHjoLWkj76U1SqkM8QwnvXfP9b0DDEjQRUb9GEWYOoiTFS7bPVoJTvlWEhj