1 2
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
5/19/22 10:41 p.m.

Also, rvs suck to drive. Imagine a house and a car that does neither particularly well. I'll take a crew cab long bed pickup any day over a mobile home. 

ojannen
ojannen Reader
5/20/22 10:07 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

I took a look at Dodge Megacabs.  They are the only truck I found where I can put the driver's seat in a comfortable spot in front of a rear facing child seat.  The problem with trucks is how to keep the kids cool during the day.  Do you just let the engine idle for 10 hours to keep the AC going?  An enclosed trailer with insulation, a generator, and ac works but that adds another $20K to the cost.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
5/21/22 8:01 p.m.

In reply to ojannen :

Maybe one of those portable ac units that lets you duct the cold air where you want it? 

We've yet to take our kids to the track, and ours are 5 and 7. Everything about trying to make the track a hospitable place for little ones seems expensive and toublesome.  

jh36
jh36 Dork
5/22/22 3:13 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Taking kids to the track is a mindset.  Everyone has a different goal at the track and varying comfort levels, and all kids are equal.  If the singular goal is to win...maybe having kids there is not the best.

That said, we raised 6 kids and we decided early on if I was going to race, we would do it as a family.  It was complicated sometimes, but we moved as a team and I'm happy we did it.  We did hotels at first, then camped in the trailer with overflow kids in tents..eventually we bought an RV.  Now the kids are grown and the game has changed.  Exposing the kids to the track firmly put two sons heads in the automotive world...and all the kids have an appreciation for cars and racing because of it.  

In my case, it was really worth it and it created memories that I will hold forever...and I think it did for them too.  It isn't for everyone, but it is worth considering.  Now that I'm pretty much racing on my own, it actually isn't as much fun as when the herd was in tow.  At least Ed Higginbotham is racing with me now so I have one person to boss around.  Except really, he bosses me around now.  Full circle.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cRevcZHL1rrfXnzNSxXFLAAmxkjU3ggfzvtGpaLtwFVUqnaBDZyL6qDboUxSTuRp