David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/30/17 10:33 a.m.

Photos by David S. Wallens and J.G. Pasterjak unless otherwise credited.

Today’s autocross scene features more than a few pony cars–they’ve become the latest big thing, in fact. Look closely, however, and many feature reworked chassis, updated drivetrains and massaged bodies.

SCCA Solo Champ Jason Rhoades wanted to autocross an early Camaro, but at the same time, he had no …

Read the rest of the story

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/30/17 10:40 a.m.

That's a really neat car. Did it ever get moved back to STX? 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/30/17 12:09 p.m.

VERY neat car.  Makes me wonder if any of the other Tran Am cars could find a better place, too.  (like my GTV....)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/17 4:56 p.m.

Whatever happened to the car and Jason?

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
11/30/17 5:20 p.m.

I remember him dialing in the 240sx at my local events in SD.  When I eventually purchased an s13, I built it around his ST winning formula, which he was gracious enough to publish in your mag.  Being able to start with a blueprint of spring rates, sway bars, and alignment angles was priceless. I still keep that copy of GRM in the folder with all my shop manual literature.

My s13 ended up winning the regional SM championship in 2013 and placed 5th at the National Tour in SD in 2014 with 1.5 year old Azenis.  Only 2 cars beat me that year, A GTR (2 drivers) and a national championship winning e36 with S54 swap (also 2 drivers). All with a whopping 150HP and 225 width tires.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
11/30/17 6:09 p.m.

In reply to NEALSMO :

Happen to have scan of those setup tips?

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/1/17 6:12 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I seem to recall him posting on his blog saying this car was mothballed because of the rule change and he was prepping a 370Z to run until something changed. That's probably been close to 2 years since I read that though. 

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
12/1/17 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Fitzauto :

I'll try to remember to pull the mag out tonight when I get home tonight.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/16/19 8:53 p.m.

So this is funny: I'm Googling some info on Jongbloed 214 wheels, and this came up in the results. And I wrote it. :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SQxTzLT4fw2fTYFaDv5McuSgEG3nUCKpvcpEp22AwEPZVoDVKfLsXyBXF7a2jtAp