1 2 3
LJD
LJD New Reader
8/10/12 1:34 p.m.

I'd echo 'lnlds' and suggest a first gen TSX with the 6-speed ... but if you want a less "ho-hum" CRZ ... Jackson Racing just released a $4000 supercharger kit good for +50 hp: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/03/jackson-racing-releases-new-supercharger-system-for-honda-cr-z/

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/10/12 1:35 p.m.

$4000....50hp...I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a frownie face.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
8/10/12 2:54 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: $4000....50hp...I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a frownie face.

Seems like a bargain considering what you paid for the first 100

Matt B
Matt B Dork
8/10/12 2:57 p.m.

JR superchargers were never cheap to begin with, but usually a relatively reliable & simple approach compared to a custom turbo setup. Of course, YMMV as there's lots of savvy turbo nuts out there. I haven't kept up with prices, but I remember they were around $3K 10 years ago for the Honda B-series motors. $4K doesn't surprise me, especially because they probably don't plan on selling anywhere near the volume of the other applications

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
8/10/12 5:20 p.m.

G35 for a CR-Z? Dear God that's the worst thing I've ever heard!

There...did that talk you down?

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
8/10/12 5:59 p.m.

I think they're cool. I've been wanting to go drive one with a manual.

Bryce

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
8/10/12 11:10 p.m.
I need it to be user serviceable and I dont like electricity :)

Im gonna have to go with Nashco on this one..

Ive enjoyed working on the battery pack in my insight. Its just been a new road of learning to go down. I want to learn a little about paint and body some day. Already did motor and transmission rebuilds. Conquering the aspects of the car that intimidate me is part of the fun of being a 'car guy' in the first place.

As for bashing the CR-Z as a hybrid that 'only' gets 35+ mpg, it AVERAGES that, or higher. We have people on this forum who think it's god's gift to car-dom that you can get an elantra that gets 40mpg if you drive all highway for a living. That's great. Be nice to a CR-Z and you'll get 50. If the Cr-Z is anything like my Insight, you can pass the current crop of '40mpg' compacts doing 30 mph faster and getting the same mpg.

The CR-Z takes the Speed of the old CRX Si and the efficiency of the old CRX HF and puts them in the SAME car and adds a far superior interior, better safety, more features, etc.

Funny thing about CR-Z acceleration. In addition to the CR-Z, i also raced a modded 89 CRX si, a ~97-00 si coupe, and an ~03 ep3 si hatch in that same dynasty. The cr-z was every bit as fast as all those other cars in the real world. I mean, they all lost, but the cr-z is substantially as fast as every previous usdm civic si save for the 8th gen, in my experience.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
8/10/12 11:54 p.m.

I would probably take a closer look at the CR-Z if I drove more. I do like the styling and interior. Maybe I should swing by the dealership and test drive one just for funsies.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/11/12 1:47 a.m.

So, drove it. I was in a 2011 EX manual with ~9000mi.

The clutch was nice, but odd. It was just this smooth, consistent stroke through the entire range. I'm used to there being some sort of "threshold" in the resistance. That's a Honda thing, isn't it? I've driven very few Honda manuals.

Shifting as the eco mode instructs provides some perspective. I'm sure I often ride around in too low a gear, but I think it had me shifting into 6th around 35.

The G35 does have me spoiled. Rolling firmly onto the throttle at 2k rpm in 2nd makes an amazing noise and treats one to the sensation of one's back sinking into the seat foam.

In the CR-Z, in sport mode, rolling firmly onto the throttle at 2k rpm in second makes a little more noise and pegs the IMA Assist gauge. This car will roll out, but you really have to spin it. It makes some nice noises when you do.

The brakes have an odd rubbery feel. Modulation is fine, but there is a rubbery section of the travel, and pedal placement in that section defines braking more than pressure. Effort was higher too - I had to get the ball of my foot on the brake when I'd usually use my big toe.It didn't seem to have one of those throttle/brake override dohickeys that kill the throttle if the brake is depressed.

The noises it makes are passable.

I tried an interstate onramp in eco mode, and about halfway up the ramp my "you're gonna die" sense kicked in. I tapped the sport button and dropped down a gear. On the up side, I was more at home with the clutch and throttle here than in the G, even though there were more computers and programs fiddling with my inputs.

There was a bit of wind noise from the rear of the cabin while at interstate speeds. The car I drove was missing the cargo cover, which I suspect would damp some of those noises.

I think I'll be getting into a cleaner, more reliable car than the G. The CR-Z has the kind of power I had through my twenties when I had the most fun in cars.

Having read other reviews, I'm considering looking at the Mini and the Fiat. I'm not as into the retro cars as I was when I was younger. The CR-Z has a profile that references the CRX, but isn't a reproduction. I like the Honda looks more at the moment.

Thanks for the advice thus far - it really helps.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
8/11/12 7:36 a.m.

Thanks for the detailed impressions.

Hope some more of the naysayers will go get some impressions to replace their assumptions. Even if they dont end up liking it, it'll be easier to listen to on the internet.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/13/12 8:40 p.m.

Fun story.

So, at lunch today, I find this crazy green CR-Z on the cars.com app. Here. I send it to my wife who responds "not on your life, buddy."

I get home, and decide that I'd like to learn more about the D-cells in the battery pack so I search cr-z d-cell. The first link is Honda goes CR-Z crazy at SEMA 2010 | SEMA show - CNET Reviews and I click through. Looking through the gallery, I see the car I sent to my wife at lunch.

Now, I do some more searching, and find a gallery and spec sheet as well as a promo video uploaded by Honda.

Small world, eh?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
8/13/12 10:01 p.m.

this would fix everything about the car http://www.crztuners.com/forum/news-announcements/155-honda-crz-k20-engine.html

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
8/14/12 7:22 a.m.

CR-Z? I'll take a supercharged one, please.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2662/jackson-racing-cr-z-supercharger-system.aspx

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/14/12 8:26 a.m.
Fletch1 wrote: CR-Z: Hybrid that get's only 35-37 MPG...check. Civic Si: Possibly 30+ MPG...check.

The CRZ is a car that averages upper 30s. You can drive like a complete shiny happy person and still get that mileage. The Si is a car that will return over 30mpg babying it on the highway. If you don't have a straight highway commute, you are going to see much less. The difference between the two cars can easily be 15mpg + the Si takes premium.

This is like when people say the S2000 is a 30mpg car or even upper 20mpg car. Yes, it can return 30mpg on the highway... but that's an unrealistic usage for most people. Mine averages 22mpg. And I'm nice to it a lot of the time.

FWIW, the EPA shows the CRZ as 34 combined, Civic SI as 23. Both are likely a little bit on the low side, but the disparity is pretty realistic IMO.

I'm very much considering getting a CRZ when they come down in price.

plance1
plance1 Dork
8/14/12 8:20 p.m.

u would seriously drive a car that ugly?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
8/14/12 8:29 p.m.
plance1 wrote: u would seriously drive a car that ugly?

I would drive it, I put 3500 miles on in a month and 37mpg sounds pretty good to me. I, on the other hand need more space so this wouldn't work out. If you buy it please post regular updates so we can live through you!

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
8/14/12 8:36 p.m.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I like it. I'm interested to hear opinions from GRMers.

You have something big and fast and heavy now, and while that is fun, there are other ways to have fun. If having a small, nimble, reliable car that gets pretty good mileage, but is a bit quirky is fun for you, then great, go for it!

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/14/12 8:40 p.m.

CRZ is top of my list. And for $4500 for the SC kit with plug in computer, not bad for a 37% increase in HP.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
8/14/12 10:07 p.m.

ProDarwin, excellent post.. I keep trying to tell people that but it just doesnt seem to come across. Most other cars rated at similar numbers to the CR-Z are optimistic nearly to the point of fraud, whereas the CR-Z actually is sold a little short, imo. People are generally averaging well above the combined rating.

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
8/15/12 8:53 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

I must have accidentally logged into Ecomodder instead of GRM.

Powar
Powar Dork
8/15/12 9:39 a.m.
Fletch1 wrote: In reply to ProDarwin: I must have accidentally logged into Ecomodder instead of GRM.

Economy is an aspect of performance.

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
8/15/12 10:16 a.m.

The Cr-z is a neat little car, but I believe Honda didn't try on this car. As a Honda fan, I believe they are leaving their enthusiast base behind.

1. ECONOMY-34 MPG combined by what some of you say and from other owners. What's so great about that from a two-seater hybrid? My 2004 automatic Civic NON-HYBRID get's 39 combined and I check about every week.

2. PERFORMANCE- The performance may resemble the original CRX(which I have owned and loved), but compact cars have come A LONG way since then. You can get MUCH better performance for the similar price of a CR-Z.

I'm sure it would make a reliable, efficient DD though. What matter's is if it makes the owner happy. Oh, please see Dirtybird's pic above for what need's to be done The Si engine in the Cr-z and we can mostly agree that would be sweet

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
8/15/12 10:19 a.m.

have u seen ur avatar?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/15/12 10:48 a.m.
Fletch1 wrote: 1. ECONOMY-34 MPG combined by what some of you say and from other owners. What's so great about that from a two-seater hybrid? My 2004 automatic Civic NON-HYBRID get's 39 combined and I check about every week.

I won't debate the performance. It isn't spectacular. Its on par with a lot of the other little cars GRM loves and enough to be fun though.

Your economy comparison is still flawed. You are comparing your direct results with those of a large sampling. Its pretty safe to say that on average almost nobody but you is getting 39 mpg combined out of a 2004 Civic Automatic. http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civic/2004/gas%20l4 Looks like you would be way over on the right side of that curve.

Where would that put you with the CRZ? http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/cr-z 46-47ish

Apples to Apples (Large sample data OR EPA test), the CRZ economy is worlds better than the Civic Si. Performance is definitely worse. Its a tradeoff. But to make it look as though they return similar economy numbers is just false.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
8/15/12 10:53 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
have u seen ur avatar?

I would much prefer the car in his avatar....then again I may be buying a 72 LTD this weekend...soooo...

I blame the purchase on the movie White Lightning.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2QiTC8wmOXbHXdTRcGfJ0KAQJGjm5nFZ6v3vGaTMQGRKitYDQbvZ8U5lNkLvbB81