1 2 3 ... 6
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/22/23 10:17 p.m.

Wife has spent the weekend nudging me to get a new car for daily duties. Something that, like her Seltos will have the long warranty and I won't need to mess with for years of trouble free use. 

my eyes and heart have been focused on a 23 forte gt manual. There are several below msrp of $25k. Why is this a bad idea and give me talking points about why we shouldn't do this. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/23 10:38 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

GT Manual in Sporty Blue looks like a mighty fine choice to me. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/22/23 11:08 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Yeah, that is a hard one to argue against if you feel it is time for a newer vehicle. Assuming finances allow, that seems like a solid option for reasonable money. Sorry Bob. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
1/22/23 11:17 p.m.

Because it's not an 'N'.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/22/23 11:20 p.m.

r/MemeTemplatesOfficial - Willy Wonka saying "Stop, don't..."

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/23/23 7:32 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Her Seltos is that blue I think I'd have to have a different color. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
1/23/23 7:44 a.m.

$25k will buy you a fun but mostly mundane 4 cyl. manual FWD car OR...

with a bit of searching an e46 m3 with a ton of miles, a questionable service history, no records of the subframe/bearings being fixed, etc.  or a host of other cool older cars which have none of the modern safety equipment /modern infotainment, no warranty, etc.  

why buy a new car and enjoy everything else life has to offer when you can drive an old car you constantly have to worry about maintaining.  

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/23 7:50 a.m.

No.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/23 8:12 a.m.
Toyman! said:

No.

I concur. Unless you have 50% or more in cash to put down on it, or they're giving some ridiculously low interest rate, I wouldn't. 

I also wouldn't recommend anyone to buy a new car for DD use in the rust-belt, unless they only drive a few blocks for work. Even though modern cars don't appear to rust out like they used to, you're still going to be dealing with rusty brake lines, fasteners, etc. within 5-years. 

Find a decent clean used DD south of the Mason-Dixon Line instead. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/23/23 8:14 a.m.
ClearWaterMS said:

$25k will buy you a fun but mostly mundane 4 cyl. manual FWD car OR...

with a bit of searching an e46 m3 with a ton of miles, a questionable service history, no records of the subframe/bearings being fixed, etc.  or a host of other cool older cars which have none of the modern safety equipment /modern infotainment, no warranty, etc.  

why buy a new car and enjoy everything else life has to offer when you can drive an old car you constantly have to worry about maintaining.  

So there are 2 certainties in my life, I will never purchase a Honda and I will never own a German car. Besides, an E46 330 makes 20hp more and weighs 300 more pounds. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/23 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I meant that to answer his title question. As in No, I won't talk him out of it. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
1/23/23 8:34 a.m.

Because you need to branch out.  I'm a Kia/Hyundai fan boi, but c'mon, live a little.  laugh

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/23/23 8:36 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
Toyman! said:

No.

I concur. Unless you have 50% or more in cash to put down on it, or they're giving some ridiculously low interest rate, I wouldn't. 

I also wouldn't recommend anyone to buy a new car for DD use in the rust-belt, unless they only drive a few blocks for work. Even though modern cars don't appear to rust out like they used to, you're still going to be dealing with rusty brake lines, fasteners, etc. within 5-years. 

Find a decent clean used DD south of the Mason-Dixon Line instead. 

Used are selling for MORE than new at this time. I can snag one in Phoenix, spend a weekend with the inlaws and drive it home for $23k + tax. Used I'm looking at $26k. Makes no sense. There will be no financing involved. Add in that new gets the 10/100 drivetrain warranty where used drops to 5/60.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/23/23 8:41 a.m.

I drove a 22 auto as a rental and was pleasantly surprised by it. Would be a fun car in a manual for sure.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/23 9:25 a.m.

I say go for it. They are super fun, still offer a manual(for how long!) and have that ridiculous warranty. Leave it stock and just cruise until you hit that lofty warranty end date.  Then trade it in on an electric pile of crap that everyone will be driving by that point.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/23/23 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Rental auto would be the 2.0/ivt. Same thing we had in Hawai'i and what's in the wife's Seltos. The gt gets the turbo 1.6 and 53 more hp. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/23/23 9:50 a.m.

You enabled me, so I'll enable you. wink

The newer ones are a little nicer, and you can get more options with the MT cars than I could with mine, like full leather, heated and cooled seats, etc. Mine just hit 30K miles over the weekend, and aside from some tiny annoyances that I wouldn't even call problems (99% of which involve the local dealer and not the car itself), it's been a great DD. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
1/23/23 10:15 a.m.

Don't do it - Andy 

New cars don't make for good stories 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/23 10:17 a.m.

My 18 Elantra GT Sport 6MT has 82k trouble free miles.   I got it for $23k out the door so if you can repeat that price for the closest modern equivalent it'd be impressive 5 years later.  

I'm assuming the Forte GT is very similar as I don't believe they are on overall new engines or a completely different chassis.  If so just ignore me other then a good Kia/Hyundai ownership experience.  

I like it a lot.  It's sporty enough, gets decent MPG (30 average combined on 87 octane) and has held up well to use.   

The 1.6T makes decent enough noises and doesn't seem to have wierd driveability issues like rev hang or wierd throttle response.  It is SLOW until the engine is warm enough for boost.   Like 201 HP/3100 lbs is great, but without the turbo it's like 130hp/3100lbs.  It gives you some at low RPM but above 2500rpm it's just making noise until the engine is warm enough to make the boost.  Once it is its great and that usually only takes a few miles.  But it's something to be aware of that first acceleration out of your neighborhood onto a bush road.  

I would not hesitate to buy another one if my financial situation justified spend $23k money on reasonably fun reliability.  

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/23/23 10:23 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Rental auto would be the 2.0/ivt. Same thing we had in Hawai'i and what's in the wife's Seltos. The gt gets the turbo 1.6 and 53 more hp. 

I had a GT somehow (I think) was definitely turbo

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/23/23 10:23 a.m.
nocones said:

The 1.6T makes decent enough noises and doesn't seem to have wierd driveability issues like rev hang or wierd throttle response. 

I really enjoyed my 1.6T 2019 Veloster but if you didn't put it in 'sport' mode the instant you started it, it was borderline undriveable.  Worst throttle mapping ever.

Also it does do a weird thing where it opens/closes the wastegate (presumably) to cap peak torque and it makes a weird surging feeling.  Its readily apparent on the dyno.  Not a driveability issue though, just odd.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/23 10:25 a.m.

do you get to keep (and keep 'racing') the Rio?

or are you going to step up to ClubTR?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/23/23 10:41 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

The answer to both is yes. Rio was going CTR next year anyway. Too hard to keep it in SC and me be happy with it. CTR I can go bigger tires, more power and lose weight.

Forte would be the 10 year daily. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/23/23 10:42 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
nocones said:

The 1.6T makes decent enough noises and doesn't seem to have wierd driveability issues like rev hang or wierd throttle response. 

I really enjoyed my 1.6T 2019 Veloster but if you didn't put it in 'sport' mode the instant you started it, it was borderline undriveable.  Worst throttle mapping ever.

Also it does do a weird thing where it opens/closes the wastegate (presumably) to cap peak torque and it makes a weird surging feeling.  Its readily apparent on the dyno.  Not a driveability issue though, just odd.

Same issue I have with the Rio. TCS has to be turned off the instant its started or shifts feel off. It cuts power with TCS still on to help the clutch survice by limiting power but makes it feel really off. Turn TCS off and its perfectly normal.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/23/23 11:06 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

Same platform. Forte/elantra same/same. Not sure when the turbo cars got the IRS but these have it. 

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wA4P8yHCLaYRgFnaU0cIt2FbL7uHqJVXFkAYYasdsYA503vnRno9l1dg1H5za5hc