1 2 3 4 5 6
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/24/23 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

And that's the catch; will Hyundai/Kia actually honor the warranty when it comes down to it? I know that at my local dealers, they are awful about this. YMMV obviously. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/24/23 10:43 a.m.

It helps I have contacts and am still in the business. We have a couple of good dealers locally so that also helps. 

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/25/23 6:26 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I mistyped this:  the Elantra N "Line" is comparable to a Forte GT.  The N is a whole different animal and yes 50% more.  I meant N Line.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/25/23 7:41 a.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 :

Ahh, yup, the N-Line is basically the Forte GT, except no manual trans option IIRC. You can only get the dry clutch 7-speed DCT in those. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/23 7:59 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

correct. I would have preferred the elantra with the glass dash, but no manual is not an option. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/25/23 11:44 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Call me stupid all you want, I really don't give a berkeley. The wife feels more comfortable when there are no payments, so we don't have payments. We seem to be doing OK with our finances so thanks for your concern, she will do things her way. Plus I've never seen nor read anything from Dave Ramsey and neither has the wife. She learned her finances from her accountant father. 

Where did I call you stupid? You really need to learn that just because someone disagrees with you it doesn't mean they are attacking you. 

You like the Korean cars, so I don't think anyone would be able to talk you out of one. smiley

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/23 12:04 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Lumping people into pre-determined groups doesnt help your argument. And statements like this:

This 100%. The "all debt is bad debt, Dave Ramsey" crowd don't seem to understand how to make debt work for them. 

make it sound like you are smarter than those "other people". With the wife's line of thought it's not that "all debt is bad debt" but more "Can we live in our house if we lose our jobs or can't work?" We've both had health issues pop up in hte last few years that scares her. Being able to live in our house, drive our cars without having to have a job making "X" amount of money to do it makes her feel safe. 

She knows that we could take chances, invest in other ways etc. She CHOOSES to live debt free for her piece of mind. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/23 12:09 p.m.
Peabody said:

I agree with you Bob, that's not great advice. Take on debt and pay interest just in case something happens is a backwards way of thinking about it.

that's an incomplete analysis but severely OT to this thread so i'll just say that paying 3% to make 7% is a gain of 4% that you don't get by putting that lump into a depreciating object.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/23 12:12 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Peabody said:

I agree with you Bob, that's not great advice. Take on debt and pay interest just in case something happens is a backwards way of thinking about it.

that's an incomplete analysis but severely OT to this thread so i'll just say that paying 3% to make 7% is a gain of 4% that you don't get by putting that lump into a depreciating object.

it got turned into the topic of this thread so go ahead and tell us why not having debt is stupid and all that. 

Some people get into that rational state of mind that it has to be X because there's no benefit to Y. Except Y has a mental health benefit of less worry and stress. What's the price on that? 4% of 25k? 10%? How do you quantify the unquantifiable? 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/25/23 12:15 p.m.

Yeah dudes this is bobs thread let's leave it at that. I have debt while saving in investments but don't at all disagree with him that there's benefits to being debt free ESPECIALLY  when talking about a car, a (typically, during sane times) rapidly depreciating expense. He's got a good thing going don't act like he's being irresponsible. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/25/23 12:25 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I tried to turn back that way with my statement that I don't think any of us could talk him out of a Korean car. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/25/23 12:28 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

There comes a point in your life where you mature enough to recognize the value of your time.  
  New may have costs but the freedom to stop worrying about "the car"  offsets any cost 

My first real adult job provided me with a company car.  That freedom cannot be calculated.   

trucke
trucke SuperDork
1/26/23 8:35 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Tony Sestito :

correct. I would have preferred the elantra with the glass dash, but no manual is not an option. 

Well, that stinks!  I was looking at a '22 Elantra N Line in December 21.  A manual was available then, but ADM was too much!

Ended up ordering a Civic Si.  I really need an LSD in a FWD car anyway.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/23 9:03 a.m.

In reply to trucke :

'22 was the last year a manual was offered in any non-N Hyundai.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
1/26/23 9:26 a.m.

Had a 2017 Elantra Sport 6M.  Enjoyed that car.  Traded it in April of 2020 as Covid was ramping up; got a smoking deal on a leftover 2019 GLI S 6M.  The GLI has crossed 53K miles now and it's time to think about a replacement--while trade values are still high-ish.  Worked a deal on an inbound '23 Forte GT 6M at list, with a solid trade value.  Car due on or about 3/1.  It is basically a nicer Elantra Sport--gaining a moonroof, a baller stereo and a really nice infotainment interface.  And its about $6500 cheaper than the least expensive GLI at list, with a better warranty--and those are pretty much unobtainium.  

1/26/23 9:42 a.m.

Bob, you're absolutely right, there is great peace of mind to being debt-free.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/23 3:41 p.m.
FSP_ZX2 said:

Had a 2017 Elantra Sport 6M.  Enjoyed that car.  Traded it in April of 2020 as Covid was ramping up; got a smoking deal on a leftover 2019 GLI S 6M.  The GLI has crossed 53K miles now and it's time to think about a replacement--while trade values are still high-ish.  Worked a deal on an inbound '23 Forte GT 6M at list, with a solid trade value.  Car due on or about 3/1.  It is basically a nicer Elantra Sport--gaining a moonroof, a baller stereo and a really nice infotainment interface.  And its about $6500 cheaper than the least expensive GLI at list, with a better warranty--and those are pretty much unobtainium.  

I'm >< close to texting the salesman we bought the seltos through and see when they have another one coming in. They sold the white one they had in the showroom in December. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/23 3:48 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'm disappointed at the lack of "look at my new car" photos in this thread. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/23 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

trying to be a responsible adult.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/23 4:03 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

You are being responsible. You need a commuter that's reliable. You have the financial situation to afford a car in this bracket. You're not trying to buy something too much for your situation or unreliable or not useful like a 10 year old Maserati convertible. 

1/26/23 4:17 p.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to bobzilla :

You are being responsible. You need a commuter that's reliable. You have the financial situation to afford a car in this bracket. You're not trying to buy something too much for your situation or unreliable or not useful like a 10 year old Maserati convertible. 

do you know of a 10-year-old Maserati convertible for sale somewhere?  I thought that's what this thread was about.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/26/23 4:56 p.m.

You might want to check with your insurance guy before buying a new Hyundai or Kia, apparently the theft rates on some of those cars are out of control and insurance companies are starting to decline to write new policies on them.  It sounds like the theft issue may only affect specific models/trims, but the insurance spillover may not be as restricted at least right now.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/major-insurance-companies-are-refusing-to-cover-hyundai-and-kias-because-theyre-stolen-too-much

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/23 6:10 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Insurance went down with her Seltos because it is push button start compared to her Rio which was key start. And by "down" it was $5 a year for full coverage 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/23 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Yeah I sent the email. I'm already regretting it. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/26/23 6:27 p.m.

On the insurance front, you'd think that the manual trans would be worth a huge rate drop considering it wont be taken and "joy ridden" by some average 17yr old.  

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
irSlidfYPcvVUuIoaP4CGUlTcN0bPK1gaX5Bv27flLyiC5EEeVO79XTiKiGkzha1