1 2
NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/20/12 10:53 a.m.

The only reason I would talk you out of that car is because of the triumph engine. they do have a known weakness in that the thrust bearings fall out of them. OH and they are a pretty crap engine to start with.

That said, if the engine checks out, lose the bumpers and the silly glued on door trim and you go have some fun; nothing on the road this side of a locost feels more like a go-kart than a midget.

Front suspensions tend to be worn on these cars and can make a huge difference. It is a kingpin design with perhaps one of the stupidest designs I have seen acting as a lower pivot.

M3Loco
M3Loco New Reader
10/20/12 4:02 p.m.

Thanks for the notes guys.. I have a lot to digest now.

The Lady who's room I rent has known this family for over 30 years, and knows that the guy's wife has been wanting him to narrow down his belongings. He owner bought a new carpet, and lights.. etc..

If I get it, I'll remove the bumpers, clean/replace the wheels, and possibly gut the whole interior and weld in a cage. Regardless of whether or not I go vintage racing, I'll have it as a fun go-kart.

I'm gonna use the "donation" avenue. He can value it as much as he wants and donate it to me so he can write it off on his taxes. If he budges, I'll play some psychology with him.. kind of like the barter kings.. Find a weak spot... ;)

I'm about to retire from the Air Force in 8 weeks, maybe I can have it all negotiated by then, so I can take it to GA. with me. (Along with the E30, MCoupe.. etc.. Wife will be pissed..).

M3Loco
M3Loco New Reader
10/20/12 4:04 p.m.
motomoron wrote: Do you specifically want a rubber bumper midget, or just this one because it's a "good deal"? I did a full restoration of a 1962 Sprite - essentially the same body - which was about as rust-free as they come, it still took hundreds and hundreds of hours on the body shell. My advice is that the absolute cheapest way to get a decent Spridget is to buy the best one that's been indoors forever - not running and dirty if you want a project, but never as rusty as this one. Also - regarding racing. Don't build a new H production car - there's loads of them already finished that the owners spent $30,000 on over decades of development. Lots of very specialized race Spridget stuff isn't made anymore. A usable race car for 5 or 7 grand that only needs needs new belts/fire bottle/tires + a thorough going over is the easiest way BY FAR to do that. But are you already a licensed racer? if not - I'd recommend in the strongest terms to begin in something where a weekend involves only setting tire pressures, dumping fuel and oil in, and going about the business of racing. It's inconceivable to anyone who hasn't actually done it how mentally draining a race weekend is from the beginning of pre-race prep to finally unloading back at home Sunday night or Monday if it's a long tow. Compounding the strain with a tempermental car that needs constant attention can really get you to the breaking point.

It's just because it's been covered since I moved in this neighborhood and it sparked my curiosity..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4LaHuwMWAY37uuDxi8orlVVxjb3hUJciVoc05eCyPuhZWfC9krqUPWCcDwdFi8T8