phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
10/29/13 7:21 a.m.

E36 M3

Short story, long. . .

Home on R&R for two weeks.

Of the two fam vehicles, one is a lease not due for turn in until Feb. MIL had the cancer (thank God, in remission), but that vehicle became the transport for the regularly scheduled 2 hr to and back trips to NYC for follow ups. Needless to say, we are $400 over in miles, currently.

Second vehicle is mine. 2010 Suzuki SX4 GTS SportBack (only a true SportBack owner would include the "GTS" in there).It is a stick. SWMBO refuses. . . REFUSES!!!. . . to learn a stick. Still owe on it but I'm well in the black. Looking to do a quick trade out for something SWMBO can drive in the time limitations I have before returning to Afghanistan.

Autotrader search for auto M3's in the area popped this up.

I tried search for E36 M3 shopping recommendations but, unfortunately, there's an issue with searching "E36 M3" for actual car information. . .

Opines? All the pixels seem to work. . .

gofastbobby
gofastbobby New Reader
10/29/13 8:05 a.m.

1.) Find SWMBO that will learn new things.

2.) Buy stick shift car.

3.) The End

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/29/13 8:49 a.m.

sorry but it's not possible to argue against an e36 m3.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
10/29/13 9:12 a.m.

Since you requested it, here's the best I can do for a reason not to buy an e36. People you don't know might think less of you.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
10/29/13 9:15 a.m.

Buy it already!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/29/13 9:20 a.m.

So far this would be an automatic transmission 20 year old German car you would be leaving your wife to drive while you are deployed overseas? I'm going to say no, and suggest you consider a nice anything else.

Edit: just saw the link. You should be able to find lots of cars for the (overpriced) $10k they are asking for that.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
10/29/13 9:43 a.m.

In reply to bgkast:

Sort of agreed, but considering:

.My understanding is that is decent mileage for a 20 year old German car. .Limited for time - aside from learning stick, she refuses to do the car shopping and I don't want to put further miles on lease. Since it's stealership, can do trade with my loan vehicle. .Although autotragic, it's an enthusiast vehicle I can enjoy, too.

I am aware there are issues to look at for an E36 M3 over 50,000 mi.'s, but are there others to look out for on an automatic convertible?

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
10/29/13 9:51 a.m.

That is the most watered down version of the m3 ever built, it's floppy and rattly in convertible form and the transmission sucks the rest of the fun out of the car. Don't do it.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/29/13 9:58 a.m.

If it's a wife car...I'd go reliable over enthusiast. I'd also go Japanese over German. I've owned both and while the Japanese car may not be as exciting or have the curb appeal it will be loads more reliable and cheaper to maintain.

For $10k? You could find a very nice Mazda3 for that. Get the 2.3 liter auto? That could be real fun and reliable. I'm not even touching Honda or Toyota stuff as I'm less familiar with those makes and their prices.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/29/13 9:59 a.m.
ansonivan wrote: That is the most watered down version of the m3 ever built, it's floppy and rattly in convertible form and the transmission sucks the rest of the fun out of the car. Don't do it.

This and what go fast bobby said......

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
10/29/13 10:08 a.m.

Eager for other ideas. . .

When lease is up it's switched for a people mover, but will be parked most of the time to keep lease miles down. My employment provides me a vanpool. This vehicle will be the DD for wife and transportation for me during non work hours. Don't have room for any more vehicles and also will be selling Fairlane.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
10/29/13 10:09 a.m.
yamaha wrote:
ansonivan wrote: That is the most watered down version of the m3 ever built, it's floppy and rattly in convertible form and the transmission sucks the rest of the fun out of the car. Don't do it.
This and what go fast bobby said......

For that go for a newer Honda Accord and it will be funner to drive.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
10/29/13 10:12 a.m.

Acura TL?

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
10/29/13 10:23 a.m.

Ford Fusion: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=18507&endYear=2014&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&sellerType=d&sellerTypes=d&transmissionCode=AUT&transmissionCodes=AUT&maxPrice=12000&mmt=[FORD[FUSION[]][]]&Log=0&modelCode1=FUSION&makeCode1=FORD&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&searchRadius=25&minPrice=0&showcaseOwnerId=555815&captureSearch=true&Log=0

/thread

LuxInterior
LuxInterior New Reader
10/29/13 11:18 a.m.

Personally I Want, Want, Want an E36 M3!... But I wouldn't bother with an E36 M3 autotragic. I doubly wouldn't bother with an autotragic vert.

I've driven an auto... it was Meh.... The handling was there, the connection with the engine... not so much. Add the 'vert factor to the equation and you don't really have the all handling either.

There have to be cars that are better choices for your situation that are fun to drive.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/29/13 11:20 a.m.
92dxman wrote: Ford Fusion: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=18507&endYear=2014&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&sellerType=d&sellerTypes=d&transmissionCode=AUT&transmissionCodes=AUT&maxPrice=12000&mmt=[FORD[FUSION[]][]]&Log=0&modelCode1=FUSION&makeCode1=FORD&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&searchRadius=25&minPrice=0&showcaseOwnerId=555815&captureSearch=true&Log=0 /thread

I have autox'd a '07 AWD SEL.......it was much more fun than it should have been.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RVQwVLdI1Z8BQ82EGFMZB0m0tsRPJOW8PEedUsYjjkl3pdB3pbTDqLq0OoPDkbzJ