hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
8/1/22 1:17 p.m.

On the way to scope out our wedding site (Saturday, holy smokes), I spotted a 01 4Runner in a yard with a small sign posted up. On the way back we stopped to look at it.

2001 silver SR5 with the sport package - sunroof and 'hood scoop'

264k miles on the 3.4L v6

Auto 2WD trans

Interior in great condition, no tears in seats etc, only issue that I saw (or was told about) is the driver's side floor mat is heavily worn, but the carpet under is good.

Front bumper has slight damage - his wife his a fire hydrant and then scraped it when pulling over...

Roof rack with kayak carrier (my soon-to-be wife has a kayak, that's a plus)

$5k asking price, clear title

One friend of mine has a 3rd gen with 340k miles on it, still running strong. It's a toyota..but its still a lot of miles.

Been wanting a mid-sized SUV for a long time (had a 03 Pathfinder that was wrecked when a student pulled out in front of me) - be nice to pull my motorcycle trailer again, have it for towing/hauling the jetski or home project items

Plus, if I get a GRM Experience ticket, I could 'camp' in it!

I know it's not the best time to buy used (or new), but is it a good deal?

I know I'll have to replace bumper eventually (it's a small piece missing, but I know how I am - junkyard pricing is cheap, and one close by has a silver 00 model right now, just came in two weeks ago), and Ill need a hitch for it (200 bucks). Other than that I'd put a different head unit in it and just drive it several times a month to work and such, then for hauling larger things or going to hockey...get to air my bag out with that rear window that rolls down!

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/1/22 1:50 p.m.

3rd gens are solid but I wouldn't recommend them as tow units.  Check the frame over good for rust, also open the rear doors and check the lower corners.  Not sure what area you are in but $5k for a 2wd 3rd gen is pretty high

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
8/1/22 1:56 p.m.

For towing - two or three times a year with a jetski, maybe the same for the motorcycle

Then a handful of trips a year to Home Depot to get mulch and such

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/1/22 2:27 p.m.

Are you sure 2wd will meet your needs/wants? 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
8/1/22 2:35 p.m.

I think so. I had a 4x4 before and never used it, twice in 5 years.

Live in an area with not too much snow - and if it snows Im typically staying in anyway. Or I can take another car that I have (FF, MR also in the stable...not that Id take the MR in the snow)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/1/22 2:40 p.m.

For me, a few years back, the budget answer was Gen3 Montero of 01-06. Mucho offroad capable. Limited model have locking center diff. The XLS models do not but still 4wd. 

Another overlooked model is the Suzuki XL-7, the stretched Suzuki Vitara/Sidekick. Very capable in a tidy package. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/22 2:47 p.m.

Even if you won't use 4x4, I would think most people looking for a 4runner want it and the selling prices would affect that. 

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
8/2/22 12:05 a.m.

Price doesn't seem amazing for those miles.  Maintenance records avail?  Timing belt done (twice by now if not three times due).  

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/2/22 12:41 a.m.

The day after we got married, we stopped by to look at an aluminum block V8-powered Rotus. Didn't buy it though.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
8/2/22 6:53 a.m.
Caprigrip said:

Price doesn't seem amazing for those miles.  Maintenance records avail?  Timing belt done (twice by now if not three times due).  

Yes, but timing belt is due soon, but yes, maintenance records available.

I like it, but the more I sit on it, the less I want it. I want it but think, do I NEED it. I could use it, at times, but I dont know if it's worth several grand.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/2/22 7:10 a.m.

$5k for a 20 year old 2wd 4Runner with a quarter million miles?

parker
parker HalfDork
8/2/22 10:35 a.m.

2wd is less valuable so you may be able to knock down the price a bit.  My 98 4x4 has 425,000 miles on it.  Original engine.  Transmission (manual) is starting to pop out of 1st when cold.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
8/2/22 1:46 p.m.

I wouldnt buy it for any price - 2WD 4 Runners are not worth anything above scrap price regardless of geographic area.    Unless you plan on being buried in it, some day you will need to sell it and that will be excruciatingly difficult.

4WD and V8 is in the same price range.  The V8 and V6 get the same real world MPG and the V8 is 10000x nicer of an engine.  

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/132df2fd-4aee-49c8-a1f3-076142706f3e/

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
8/2/22 4:43 p.m.

Yall have done a good job.

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
8/3/22 12:30 p.m.

If you really want one hold out for a 4wd manual.  They are annoying to work on and take a lot of work (suspension, etc) at high mileage and the parts cost the same for 2wd or 4wd.  The automatic ones tend to fill.the transmission with coolant if you don't change the radiator too.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
8/3/22 12:47 p.m.

A manual trans 3rd gen will command a premium and won't haul mulch home from Lowes any better

$3 grand max for a 2ed 3rd gen.

parker
parker HalfDork
8/3/22 1:09 p.m.
Tk8398 said:

If you really want one hold out for a 4wd manual.  They are annoying to work on and take a lot of work (suspension, etc) at high mileage and the parts cost the same for 2wd or 4wd.  The automatic ones tend to fill.the transmission with coolant if you don't change the radiator too.

Where does this come from?  My high mileage 3rd gen manual is no more annoying to work on than most vehicles and way less annoying than the old British cars and air cooled VWs I used to have.  It has also needed almost nothing.  I preemptively did the upper ball joints (not difficult) and rear axle bearings (not difficult IF you have the proper tools).  It needed a clutch at about 400,000 and is starting to pop out of 1st when cold at 425,000.  Otherwise it's been fluid changes for the last 4 years and 65,000 miles that I've owned it. 

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
8/3/22 2:27 p.m.

One of the motor mounts is literally impossible to change, the stupid rubber washers on the valve cover bolts that make them a maintenance item that requires pulling the intake manifold, high mileage ones drive terrible until you change the springs and all the suspension bushings, etc.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
teqJfcfekSKG6EUYx2XUye1OoPmcxGc5eHlXKTYbch6El5aPnaPc8YllWzTgHF2h